Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving from London.....to York?

2»

Comments

• Options
    This thread is very interesting for me because like the opening post my family are heading to Yorkshire once we can sell our house. Just like Dave21 I hope some of you living in the north can give some advice and cast a light on life outside the SE.
    Whereabouts are you moving to SHG?
    Havn’t got a precise location yet but I’m guessing somewhere quite rural between York and Harrogate perhaps.
    I recommend Ilkley. 
    I quite like the look of Menston (bit cheaper than Ilkley), do you know what it's like (or Guiseley, come to that?).

Schools, trains etc look decent, house prices not too bad.
    My wife's grandmother lives near menston, all the places you mentioned are nice, although I don't know about schools etc 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I have some close friends....I will not say who or what they are in relation to me. It is more of a close and personal thing. 🙂

I just want some ideas regarding an important decision making process.

For any Lifers that have moved up north. Can you please provide this thread will relative pros and Cons regarding the outcome of a big decision like this one.

Key points;

Are you better off financially? 

Are you, overall, happier?...(relative to this particular decision)

Are there things that you miss....a bit too much?

Was it a mistake?

Do you look at the positive side regarding the fact that you can go to more away games? The northern sides will be more local etc.

Do you wake up every day a bit earlier...feeling a bit more optimistic about the day ahead?

Was it a good "fresh start"?

More atmospheric? People more friendly? Fun things to do? Good for families? Less traffic? Less danger? Less light and air pollution? Less congestion? Less expensive?

I'd love to hear what you have to say in regards to this. 

It will really help.

Thanks 🙂

1 - Yes
    2 - Yes
    3 - Not really. Mates, mainly
    4 - No - I wake up later. Because it only takes me ten minutes to get to work instead of an hour and a half
    5 - Absolutely

The standard of life up here (I'm not talking financially) is better in general. Less people are pricks (though there are still pricks) and people in general seem to have a better outlook in life. They're funnier as well - take the piss but far less likely to take offence at you taking the piss back. The weather isn't that much worse than it is down South - more snow in winter, and a bit wetter in the autumn, but not a great deal colder. If you move to York you'll be on the 'right' side of the Pennines for wind as well, since most of the time the wind is from the West, Lancashire gets a lot more of it than Yorkshire. You'll be on the 'wrong' side of the Pennines in general though, of course. Because owt West of Rochdale be reyt 🤣

• Options
    Key points;

Not directly but if me and the wife had similar jobs in London we would live in a studio flat, we live in a 3 bed semi.  If you choose to live in the golden triangle, North Leeds-Harrogate-York House prices are much higher but still no where near SE levels 

Yes, much more social, less entitled, much slower pace of life. 

Charlton, my close family. The biggest thing is missing my nephews grow up. 

Was it a mistake?

Nope

Do you look at the positive side regarding the fact that you can go to more away games? The northern sides will be more local etc.

The best thing about the lower leagues is the number of away games with in an hours drive. 

Do you wake up every day a bit earlier...feeling a bit more optimistic about the day ahead?

Yes it even gets light earlier. 

Yes, my circumstances were very diffrent to yours though. 

More atmospheric? People more friendly? Fun things to do? Good for families? Less traffic? Less danger? Less light and air pollution? Less congestion? Less expensive?

Yes for the 1st 5, re danger there are bad places everywhere there are some places in every city you wouldn't want to be on your own after dark. 

Also you appreciate London more when you don't live there. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Key points;

Not directly but if me and the wife had similar jobs in London we would live in a studio flat, we live in a 3 bed semi.  If you choose to live in the golden triangle, North Leeds-Harrogate-York House prices are much higher but still no where near SE levels 

Yes, much more social, less entitled, much slower pace of life. 

Charlton, my close family. The biggest thing is missing my nephews grow up. 

Was it a mistake?

Nope

The best thing about the lower leagues is the number of away games with in an hours drive. 

Yes it even gets light earlier. 

Yes, my circumstances were very diffrent to yours though. 

Yes for the 1st 5, re danger there are bad places everywhere there are some places in every city you wouldn't want to be on your own after dark. 

Also you appreciate London more when you don't live there. 

If it gets lighter earlier, it also stays darker longer in winter.....the main  reason my wife won't move to the north of Scotland!
  • Options
    problems with your sleep?
  • Options
    I moved to Derbyshire last month.

I gave my ex wife my house.  I come to London 3 days a week.  I miss my mates.

Life is healthier.  It IS happier - my new lady is amazing.  I wake up with a smile everyday.

I ensure I see my friends and family.

I went to Donnie very easily and will do loads of away games.

I currently don't regret a thing.

• Options
    You'll be fine once you've mastered the language.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dave2l said:
    I have some close friends....I will not say who or what they are in relation to me. It is more of a close and personal thing. 🙂

I just want some ideas regarding an important decision making process.

For any Lifers that have moved up north. Can you please provide this thread will relative pros and Cons regarding the outcome of a big decision like this one.

Key points;

Was it a mistake?

I'd love to hear what you have to say in regards to this. 

It will really help.

Thanks 🙂

I may as well answer.

Just to make it clear to everyone, I was only in Leeds for Uni and am now firmly back in Greenwich. But I did love it there.

A lot of the questions you ask I can't really comment on because I only lived in the grotty parts of Leeds as a student and in all honesty I didn't feel like Leeds was all that different to London, just a lot smaller. Perfect for me as a student as the nightlife was all there but obviously its a lot cheaper, smaller and with less tourists. The traffic was just as bad and in the bits I lived in I probably felt more unsafe there than I do here but I never had anything bad happen tbf.

Outside of Leeds the communities seemed closer knit than they do down here and I loved the fact Yorkshire folk are all really proud to be so. I went to a Frickley game whilst I was there and every single person in the ground knew everyone else. Granted there were only about 10 people there but felt like it was something I'd love to be involved in had I lived there.

I don't think I'd ever move back though. Although there's loads going on, it did seem like by the end of the 4 years I'd done most of it and I imagine the same places, restaurants, bars, clubs etc. etc. would've got a bit boring had I stayed another year or two. Nothing compares to London in that aspect imo.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    In York for uni at the moment, and it is a lovely place. On the whole definitely friendlier than London, cheaper drinks for sure. York was named the best place to live in the UK (which if anything says more about every other place in the UK, it's nice but not paradise or anything), and I think it's top of safest places too. If you want more stuff to do, Leeds is not far away.
    Before I sound like the Yorkshire tourist board, I have to say travel between York and London is a bloody nightmare. You can pick from an overpriced packed train or risk A1 traffic. Not sure about the football side, but I think you should go for it. 
  • Options
    I've worked a lot in the North of England and whilst there are things I love there is a real pull about coming home. Even if every time I have to commute to London I have visions akin to Patrick Bateman after 2 days of that hell I miss the South of England. 

Pros - People are generally friendlier, overall cost of life and living is cheaper and you get a lot more house for your money, the air is cleaner, the water tastes nicer 

Cons - The moaning and resentment about southerners, the backwardness (although you get this in deepest Kent too), it isn't home, The M1 and its permanent roadworks, needing a car, did I mention the moaning? The M6, the M25 has nothing on that road, the M6 is a truly nasty stretch of tarmacadam with its closest rival being the A2 London bound 

• Options
    Carter said:
    I've worked a lot in the North of England and whilst there are things I love there is a real pull about coming home. Even if every time I have to commute to London I have visions akin to Patrick Bateman after 2 days of that hell I miss the South of England. 

Pros - People are generally friendlier, overall cost of life and living is cheaper and you get a lot more house for your money, the air is cleaner, the water tastes nicer 

Cons - The moaning and resentment about southerners, the backwardness (although you get this in deepest Kent too), it isn't home, The M1 and its permanent roadworks, needing a car, did I mention the moaning? The M6, the M25 has nothing on that road, the M6 is a truly nasty stretch of tarmacadam with its closest rival being the A2 London bound 

Spot on about the M6. The worst thing about living here is that any trip back down south invariably involves the M6 - which is indeed a motherless fuck of a road
  • Options
    Did anyone read the title of this thread in the voice of Robert Kilroy-Silk?
  • Options
    Yes.

Yes. By a big margin.
    Some friends. Trips to London.
    Was it a mistake?
    Nope.
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    More atmospheric? People more friendly? Yes.Fun things to do? Yes.G for families? Yes. traffic?  danger? Less light and air pollution? Less congestion? Less expensive?
    Depends where you live. Might not be so different in a city but we live in a small town on the coast and the atmosphere is perfect. Transport is erratic and congestion at peak times is poor.
  • Options
    York and surrounding is one of the places we are looking at. Do you want to be friends?
  • Options
    "When you're bored with Charlton you're bored with life", I think Sam Pepys said that.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    York and surrounding is one of the places we are looking at. Do you want to be friends?

Crikey :-0
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Life is healthier.  It IS happier - my new lady is amazing.  I wake up with a smile everyday.

I am moving to here in July 

it’s time to move get away from London and get a better work life balance 

house prices are fair imo in comparison to London 

travel time reduces dramatically locally currently for me to get to the local big asda in Southgate approx 5 miles takes me between 25-40 mins 

i managed to travel across the Peak District between matlock and leek in 30 mins the other day yet it’s over 20 miles between the two 

schools seem to have smaller classes 

and the wide open spaces for us as a family to explore is the real draw for me 

I can get a decent sized 4 bed with office and large garden plus a garage for about the same as my 3 bed mid terrace with small back garden and street parking 

So I can’t see any negatives 

• Options
    supaclive said:

I am moving to here in July 

it’s time to move get away from London and get a better work life balance 

house prices are fair imo in comparison to London 

travel time reduces dramatically locally currently for me to get to the local big asda in Southgate approx 5 miles takes me between 25-40 mins 

i managed to travel across the Peak District between matlock and leek in 30 mins the other day yet it’s over 20 miles between the two 

schools seem to have smaller classes 

and the wide open spaces for us as a family to explore is the real draw for me 

I can get a decent sized 4 bed with office and large garden plus a garage for about the same as my 3 bed mid terrace with small back garden and street parking 

So I can’t see any negatives 

Lovely part of the world there NLA. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I never went North, but I did go west ........ to Cornwall, nearly 35 years ago.

Life didn't always go smoothly, I've had to take some financial hits, it would be better if family were closer as the long road back to Kent gets longer as the years pass.

But I feel very much part of a warm friendly village, with a strong community ethic, surrounded by wonderful friends in an attractive scenic location close to the coast.

You know, sometimes you have to take a chance in life and see where it leads you.

Do it Dave 21. At your age, you've nothing to lose.

I'm 29... stuck in Gravesend and ain't going anywhere 🙂

I don't actually know why I put a smile emoji after that sentence...

It's for family members. 

I think the responses have been great and I hope it's been informative for others that might be thinking about doing the same thing.

I have informed my people that I think they should go. My opinion has been expressed.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I never went North, but I did go west ........ to Cornwall, nearly 35 years ago.

Life didn't always go smoothly, I've had to take some financial hits, it would be better if family were closer as the long road back to Kent gets longer as the years pass.

But I feel very much part of a warm friendly village, with a strong community ethic, surrounded by wonderful friends in an attractive scenic location close to the coast.

You know, sometimes you have to take a chance in life and see where it leads you.

Do it Dave 21. At your age, you've nothing to lose.

I'm 29... stuck in Gravesend and ain't going anywhere 🙂

OMG, Dave ..... stuck in Gravesend and ain't going anywhere?

There's much more to life than that!  :-)