Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sunderland | Sun 26 May | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Sunderland
Sunday 26th May 2019 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andrew Madley (West Yorkshire)

Introduction
How do you compare a Play-Off Final to any game in a season...? - Quite simply you can't, we've seen how unpredictable the Play-Offs can be and with this being the 32nd year since their introduction am sure we'll see more drama over the entire Bank Holiday Weekend... At the end of the day though it is just another game, Bowyer will be telling his players its no different any other League games we've faced this season and to an extent he's right, this time though its not three points that’ll be the prize, for the winners its promotion to the Championship, for the losers its another year in the third tier...

Glory and a chance to enter the history books awaits, just who is going to seize the opportunity??

The Opposition
Name: Sunderland | Manager: Jack Ross
Stadium: Stadium of Light

There is an ironic factor in this game that we not only face the same team from our last adventures at Wembley, yet in addition we find ourselves ending the season against the same opposition that we started against... the late 2-1 defeat that day was certainly difficult to take yet it was clear that the Mackems would challenge for promotion this season, whats surprising is the fact that Sunderland didn’t seal a top two spot - Yet despite ending in the dreaded fifth spot (the fewest Play-Off winners have come from this placing) our rivals will be dangerous and with the second meanest defence in the Play-Offs this season, will be difficult to even score against!!

But there is light at the end of the tunnel for Addicks fans (as am not one to miss out on a straw to clutch); Sunderland visit North London this Sunday knowing that Wembley is not a happy venue for them - Defeat in the CheckaTrade Trophy in March was their seventh consecutive defeat at the National Stadium (their last win coming in the 1973 FA Cup), they've lost all three previous Play-Off Finals (despite being promoted in 1990 due to Swindon's financial irregularities), whilst the Addicks have never lost a Play-Off Final, no records like those lasts forever... Sorry Mackems, it really doesn’t need to be this year!!

Charlton Team News
It appears we go into the final game of the season having everyone available, how Lee deals with a number of talented individuals who'll no doubt be either forced to remain on the bench or miss out completely is a position I’m glad I’m not in!!

Occasions like this can make even the greatest players freeze so its important to some extent that we start with some experience, both Chris Solly and Jason Pearce have been forced to wait for a starting berth of late so may come into the side… Jonny Williams, Lyle Taylor and Darren Pratley have all achieved promotion this way so their own pasts will be invaluable – Will Igor Vetokele be available though, that’s the main question, I guess we’ll have the answer come 2pm on Sunday, could this be a similar story (like the one John Robinson had in 1998) waiting to happen!!

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
Williams
Taylor | Parker

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pearce | Pratley | Reeves | Lapslie | Vetokele

Prediction
Very few of us get to put our mark on the history books before we leave this world... For most Footballers it’s the same story, but this Sunday those who take to the pitch have the opportunity to be remembered from generation to generation, like Shirtliff and Mendonca their names will be talked about for years to come – This team have defied nearly all fan expectation... Just one more effort is all that’s needed, and we can finally rest

Hopefully I'll return with the Previews during Pre-Season, please god let it be for the Championship!!

Comments

• Options
    Another great preview ForeverAddickted , I doubt it will be as high scoring as 98 and as per most finals go , it will be a close game. I think we will just edge it 2 - 1 , Taylor and Aribo with our goals and no need for extra time , this time. Fingers crossed !
  • Options
    2-1 charlton dont care who gets the goals, sunderland pompey was probably one of the worst 2 legged play off ties i have ever seen they look knackered i think friday the home crowd and pressure got to us, sunday the pressure is on sunderland whatever the outcome weve got to see our team play at wembley the sun looks to be out and we can all have a decent drink and sing song before and who knows come 5 o clock could be a championship club. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The reviews end as they have been all season, that is superb .. thanks @ForeverAddickted for consistently coherent opinions, facts and predictions. I totally agree with your starting line-up and subs bench selection.

To state the obvious, this is an immensely important game for both clubs. To lose will mean upheaval, uncertainty and probable major overhauls for either.

ME? .. I am an absolute bag of nerves, allied to a supreme confidence that we will win this thing. Having seen us play some dreadful stuff (especially Scunthorpe away) and some wonderful stuff (the last few games of the season excluding v Donny pt 2), on Sunday I expect some wonderful stuff and a win, albeit a hide behind the (pitchside ?) sofa style close finish. Sunderland have already lost at Wembley this season and this game will be second time unlucky for them.

This regular season Sunderland have both scored and conceded 7 goals more than us. The two league games were close run things, away they finished stronger, at home we did after a first half pounding. The Wembley game will be no different between two highly motivated sides.
    It will need a strong referee as Sunderland like to put it about a bit in the first quarter in the hope that the referee will be lenient and allow them to soften up the opposition.

Will McGeady be fit for them ? .. He has been their main man all season, BUT ironically in the second play off game at Pompey he was injured and the Mackems midfield looked quicker and slicker as well as more solid without him. Whatever, our in form midfield will be too good for them as will Taylor prove more effective than Wyke or Grigg who will be too out of form and nervous to get any change from Sarr and Bauer.

We all need to hold our collective nerve, the team needs to play its usual rhythmic attacking football and we will be back in the Championship next season

CAFC 2 v Sunderland 1 .. come on you Addicksaaaaaaa !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Really hard one to predict.
    If they turn up without Aidan McGeady, I'll be overjoyed. He scored both their goals in their recent Wembley visit and netted his penalty in the shoot-out with aplomb. He swaggered around that day and was their stand-out player. No nerves showed with him.
    The two matches Sunderland had without him against Portsmouth presented a competent outfit but certainly lacking a wow factor. Really hard to breakdown with Cattermole and Leadbitter protecting a solid defence that includes a very good left back in Oviedo who acts as a very good supply line to Charlie Wyke up front. Their keeper is a competent chap too.
    Very happy to have Sunderland waiting for us in the final until we put in that worrying performance on Friday.
    However, time to be upbeat and positive. If we bring our A-game to the table, I'll go 3-0 Charlton and over to you Roland.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant preview as always FA.
    Hopefully next year's previews will be in the championship. 
    As for the game itself I have absolutely no idea what to expect. 
    We were the in form team going into the playoffs and then put in a shocking performance at home to Doncaster. 
    Having said that Sunderland against Pompy was not to clever either.
    I think it will be a case of who can control their nerves and not panic on the day.
    Players like Solly  Pearce and Pratley weather they start or not will at some point have an important part to play I'm sure. 
    As for Vetokele it's anybody's guess as to how fit he is.
    Anyway here's hoping for the best.see you all at Wembley. 
    COYR. 
  • Options
    Really hard to predict, either the match or how we'll line up. Before Friday we would have been clear favourites, but that performance showed Sunderland that they have no need to fear us.

To me Dillon, Bauer, Purr, Cullen, Bielik, Aribo and Taylor are certainties, the other 4 spaces have some sort of question mark about them
  • Options
    I really dont know, it could be anything. 

if i was to guess i would go 2-1 win, early goal by us and winner in the last 10. COYR 
  • Options
    Watching our biggest game of the season on Friday, I thought some of our bigger players looked a little off of their game. Watching, as most would have done I guess, the match again on TV, I didn't think they did as bad. Did a full and rocking Valley get to them ? I don't know. 

Looking to Sunday, I genuinely don't believe we will be better prepared for this game. Bowyer has turned boys in to men, average in to competitive. The fact that we are here is an incredible achievement. I hope the players can muster one final performance of the season to end it on a high.

With so much at stake I don't think it will be pretty, I for one will take a win in whatever format it comes. Come on Charlton, come the F@ck ON!!!  
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I’m expecting a completely different game to the one we witnessed on Friday. First goal is key and if we can get in early, I’d fancy us to win in 90mins. Sunderland didn’t look great against Pompei but they have a superb defence hence the number of draws they’ve had this last season. Really surprised Will Grigg hasn’t done the business for them. But he’s a big game player and we’ll have to watch out for him. McGuire has a shot on him so we need to watch him, too. If we get the early goal, I fancy a 2-0 win. The longer it goes on and is goalless, I’d fancy Sunderland
  • Options
    Thanks for your final (League 1) preview. 
    I am not at all nervous about this game because of the quality of footy we are playing. 
    Anfernee and Sarr are rock like. 
    Aribo is tricky
    Lyle is lethal. 
    Dillon can pull a worldy save out the bag. 

Our fans need need to stay positive and supportive especially if we go behind. 

Away this season at Burton - they battered us. We were second best, but up popped Pearce at the end to add two points to the tally. 

Come on Charlton, 35000+ are behind you until the final whistle. 

Away days at Fulham, Brentford, QPR and the toolbox are on the horizon. 
  • Options
    First goal is key and if we can get in early, I’d fancy us to win in 90mins. 

LMAO we scored 2 minutes in and that went well. I genuinely think we need to score around 20 minutes in, then 40-45 minutes in. 
  • Options
    Great preview - thanks for them for the season.
    Prediction - 1-1 Full time , early Charlton goal around 10 minutes from Aribo or Taylor. Try to defend a goal lead for 80 minutes, with Sunderland late equaliser in last 5 minutes. Sunderland go close once or twice before final whistle
    Nervy extra time with us under the cosh as Mackems have momentum from late goal, and they hit the woodwork twice.
    Penalties - same as Friday, one each missed in first five, Dillon makes all important save for 6th or 7th penalty and is the hero of the hour/day/season/decade proving he should have had his chance one or two years earlier. Goes on to play for England.

• Options
    A nervy 2-1 win in extra time is what I'm going for, them to score first and us to level midway through the second half via Bauer's first goal of the season in what will be his final appearance in a Charlton shirt. 

Taylor to prod home in the first half of extra time to seal the deal
  • Options
    0-0 AET, we win again on penalties, big Nab having the bottle to take despite missing in the semis, and winning it for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't help recalling that Sunderland outplayed us with superior skills in the first half at The Valley this season.  We achieved a draw only through Bowyer-inspired bottle.

Certainly we were the team in form - until the shambles against Donny on Friday night.  A tentative attitude and atrocious defending, Cullen included, must not be repeated at Wembley.  But I fear that a squad that includes Morgan, Lapslie and a striker who can't score doesn't quite have the strength and ability to win on the biggest occasion. 

I predict a weird symmetry.  We lost 2-1 to Sunderland in the first game of the season, and I can see us losing 2-1 again to a late strike.
  • Options
    Excellent preview as always although reading that seems to have kickstarted my nerves! 

Agree with that line up, think we need the experience from the off and Morgan coming on from the bench will cause them more problems later in the game. 

Gutted I can't be there but I'll be cheering on from my sofa Hanoi, I'm certain the crowd will get behind the boys. 

One more step.. I'm praying we can make it! 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Not really predictable...wild guesses on the cards. I think they will score early and we need to go into half time equal. Second half no change. 2-1 after extra time.
  • Options
    1-0. Parker goal.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    1-0. Parker goal.
    Scored like this..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SJHWGDkIxNM
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Excellent FA, my only difference to your selection is I would expect Morgan to be on the bench at least, probably in place of either Vetokele (if not fit), or Lapslie. I do not like my prediction but if we play like we did last week, 2-3 loss, if we play like we did against Rochdale and Scunthorpe, (admittingly lower in the league), 2-0 win. I am certain it will not be 4-4 and 7-6 on penalties, we nearly got that out of our system against Doncaster  :)
  • Options
    Good preview as always.

If  tickets arrive, transport works, and I am sitting with my family in Block 529 (bring your own oxygen) ten minutes before kick-off with the sun shining it will feel like a victory before a ball has been kicked. 

Think we might just click and for once we can enjoy a straight-forward win.

3-3 after ET

Charlton win 11-10 on pens.
  • Options
    Paddy Power odds .. Sunderland fancied at 6/4 .. CAFC at 9/5 .. draw 21/10
  • Options
    Great preview FA, never easy to call these games even when neutral. One goal in it.  Always knew it would be Sunderland. They are a great club with great support, but i think we can do it., for the last time this season.
                                                 COYRS!!!