Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sunderland final. Pros and Cons

PROS;

1)

We finished 3rd this season. We won 4 more games. Scored more goals. We should be confident. Over 46 games....we were the better side!

2)

Doncaster.. .in my opinion, were more challenging play off opposition then Portsmouth. For a number of reasons.

We got through it and Doncaster really took us to the wire and did not make it easy!

That will play into our hands. It will remind us that we need to do better!

3)

We haven't beaten Sunderland this season....so we will want to sort that out. Our energy and work rate may increase due to emotional hunger of "revenge".

4)

Sunderland will still probably be the bookies favourite.

We like being the underdog. That will play into our hands too.

5)

We have much better supporters

6)

Aleady done it before.....in 1998 🙂

CONS;

1)

Sunderland have a good defensive record and only lost 5 games this season.

2)

They will be heavily reminded of 1998 and how much they need to change and put a positive spin on it.

3)

They have already played at Wembley this season. Even more of a reason to want to put things right. They lost that final.

I'm going to leave it over to you if you would like to fill the rest.

Another pro is.....Taylor told Sunderland to do one....because he wanted to join us.

What a game this is going to be. It will be historic.

This time next week! 🙂

Comments

• Options
    Their play off game at home was probably their lowest crowd of the season or close to it. That’s a telling indication of a team whose supporters are not convinced their team is particularly good. 

They’ve drawn an extraordinary number of games this season. A sign of a team and manager that is too cautious or no winning instinct ?
  • Options
    They lost their top goal scorer in January and replaced him with Will Grigg who ISN’T on fire. 
  • Options
    They lost their top goal scorer in January and replaced him with Will Grigg who ISN’T on fire. 
    We lost one of our top scorers in January and didn't replace him
  • Options
    Their current squad knows how to lose AND what it feels like to lose at Wembley. 
    They will be shitting bricks. 

Massive advantage in my opinion. 
  • Options
    Our performance on Friday night says that it is anybody's game.

I would fear for us if Blunderland were to score the first goal.
  • Options
    Bradford are the last team that I can remember who played twice at Wembley in a single EFL season, lost the first time but won the second

Shrewsbury played at Wembley twice last season and lost both times to Lincoln and Rotherham

Sunderland haven't won in their last three visits to Wembley (1990 and 1998 in the Play-Offs and 2019 in the EFL Trophy)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5th place havent been promoted from League Once since 2006 | 3rd place havent been promoted from League One since 2015
  • Options
    To be fair dont forget at the Valley that Taylor was absolutely terrorising the Sunderland defence when he drifted out into the wide areas

Unfortunately on those occasions we had Grant in the middle we could rely on (Although he did miss a couple of chances that day)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It is a final and it will probably be down to which team plays the occasion best! looking at the betting odds - the bookies can't call it!
  • Options
    To be fair dont forget at the Valley that Taylor was absolutely terrorising the Sunderland defence when he drifted out into the wide areas

Unfortunately on those occasions we had Grant in the middle we could rely on (Although he did miss a couple of chances that day)
    When he pulls out wide in the second half of games, certainly at the valley, he’s a real threat.  It’s Parker I’m more worried about.  Looked very out of sorts when over toward the touchline etc 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Parker has been so pony in front of goal that I’m almost certain if we are to somehow shit on the footballing gods he will be the man to net one or two ........

........hence we aren’t gonna win 
  • Options
    I heard a stat from a Sunderland supporter, that North East teams haven’t won in their last 37 attempts at Wembley (don’t know if this is correct or not) - stretching back to 1973 when Sunderland won the FA Cup final.

• Options
    Parker has been so pony in front of goal that I’m almost certain if we are to somehow shit on the footballing gods he will be the man to net one or two ........

........hence we aren’t gonna win 
    What are your percentages saying?  Consult those Gods  ;)
  • Options
    Sorry cabbles it’s 38% success for me 
    I just actually can’t see it 
    Sunderland can’t have 3 hellish seasons on the spin 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I actually think Friday and the way we got through in the end will refocus us

for me the big problem is the way we lined up against Doncaster with Taylor and Parker playing wider roles with Aribo tucked in behind.  I’m sure that was to do with Bowyer tactically wanting to address their threat down the wings, but if we adopt that sort of 4-3-3 again, I wouldn’t be too happy.  It just seemed to take the threat out of Taylor’s game and I’m just not convinced Parker is able to job further out.  I want us to go back to our 4-4-2 diamond.  I don’t mind Parker starting, because I don’t think it would be correct to put Taylor up top on his own with say Morgan and Williams out wide, similar to how we started at Oxford.  

The big questions for me are whether Solly comes back in and if Williams starts.

for me I would go 

Philips 

Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington 

Bielik 

Cullen Aribo 

Williams 

Parker Taylor 

Subs 

Maxwell, Solly, Pearce, Pratley, Morgan, Lapslie, Page or Forster Caskey

We’ve got a good week to work on it 
    This is the best post I’ve seen on our tactics Friday. I didn’t have much problem with us playing the 352, even if we aren’t brilliant in it, as it countered Donny well.

Bowyer must really rate Morgan because if we play him CM we sacrifice the effectiveness of Aribo and give Taylor double the workload alongside Parker.

Nothing against Morgan, I’ve very much liked what I’ve seen so far, but we have to drop Aribo back alongside Cullen if we want to win this game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    They have McGeady who can produce a bit of magic out of nothing. Could be the difference in what will be a nervy tight game.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Pro

Previous last time I moved house was in early 2011. The first full season was 11/12 League One winners.

I moved house Feb last year. This happens to be the first full season in my current house. Promotion to come again? 
  • Options
    They have McGeady who can produce a bit of magic out of nothing. Could be the difference in what will be a nervy tight game.
    Is it certain that they'll have McGeady?

Wasnt it a fractured foot that kept him out of the Semi-Finals
  • Options
    Sunderland has had very recent experienced of playing at Wembley. Our lads could suffer from nerves on the day of such an occasion. Friday was an example of nerves getting to the team.
  • Options
    Isn't he injured?
  • Options
    Pros... We potentially dont have to play in the Football League Trophy next season, should put a notice of that all over the dressing room

If that dont make the players come out attacking like Kamikaze warriors then I dont know what will
  • Options
    Pros... We potentially dont have to play in the Football League Trophy next season, should put a notice of that all over the dressing room

If that dont make the players come out attacking like Kamikaze warriors then I dont know what will
    For the record I want us to never get through the early stages of that comp .

just imagine getting to a final and playing someone’s u-21 side ffs

and at least the we want a day out at Wembley crowd can get that out of their system next week .

just say no to the checkatrade guff 

obviously its it’s great for our younger , outside the first team squad players but from a selfish snob football fans point of view , it makes me feel sick we are that far down the football pyramid that our “first team” is supposed to play against other clubs u-21s 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I heard a stat from a Sunderland supporter, that North East teams haven’t won in their last 37 attempts at Wembley (don’t know if this is correct or not) - stretching back to 1973 when Sunderland won the FA Cup final.

So apart from Non-League teams in the FA Vase (South Shields won @ Wembley in 2017), the below have lost on every occasion at Wembley

Middlesbrough did win the 2004 League Cup but that was in Cardiff - Of course may have missed a team or two depending on what people class as being in the North-East

Newcastle: 1974 | 1976 | 1998 | 1999
    Sunderland: 1985 | 1990 | 1992 | 1997 | 1998 | 2014 | 2019
    Middlesbrough: 1998 | 1997 (both FA Cup and League Cup)
    Hartlepool United: 2005
  • Options
    Just looked on Sky Bet, latest odds are, Charlton 13/8, Draw 23/10, Sunderland 13/8 - looks as though the bookies cant call it either.