Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When they missed that last pen...

Comments

• Watched it again and you can see Dillon Phillips didn’t realise until the players were nearly with him
  • Yes, I thought we needed to score another, until the players raced towards the Covered End. Shows how emotional penalties are for fans!
  • edited May 2019
    It’s literally the only thing I’d have changed about last night. Just to know for sure that we were going to win if that penalty was missed/saved. The uncertainty definitely shaved off a little bit of edge of the celebration 
  • I thought there was one more penalty to come ... only when the players started running did I realise. 
  • I lost track too! Maybe we thought 'ere we go! 

Also, it didn't take me a few seconds to work it out....it took watching 100s run onto the pitch for my brain to work it out! Daytime drinking to blame ;)
  • On this bloggers video, a good 25 seconds after the last pen he still hasn't realised it's all over!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIV0U1-lA9k
  • First 7 pens scored last 3 pens missed ... 
    good toss to win by Bauer 
  • We went first and all pens were scored up to us leading 4-3.
    Marquis pen was saved, so still 4-3 to us.
    Sarr had to score for a 5-3 win, but goalie saved it.
    It remained 4-3.
    Rowe had to score to save the match, but Baileyed it.
    All hell breaks loose. Simples.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    This counting up to five business is trickier than you think. You have to also consider which team took the first kick.

I can see why it could cause some confusion.

That also explains why some Charlton fans were taking off their shoes and socks.
  • cafctom said:
    It’s literally the only thing I’d have changed about last night. Just to know for sure that we were going to win if that penalty was missed/saved. The uncertainty definitely shaved off a little bit of edge of the celebration 
    Same. I was a little bit gutted after the game that I wasn't giving it the limbs when Rowe hit that wide.

I'd say it felt like a good 30 seconds before i realised we had done it along with many others around me. How could so many of us get it wrong :lol:
  • And there’s me thinking I was going senile and you were all doing the same. 
    Mr O thought it was hilarious that I was sat there waiting for another pen while he was busy celebrating!!
  • Chizz said:
    This thread is brilliant! 

Four pages - so far - of people explaining how they can't work out how to win a penalty shoot-out.  What happens when you're at a tennis match, guys?  Do you keep sitting down waiting for the next set, when Andy Murray has won the first three?  

Do you nod, respectfully, when Tiger Woods wraps up another title on the eighteenth, and trudge of in search of the nineteenth to see if he can par that too? 

When England score the winning runs in a one day international with five overs to spare, is there a break-out of muttering in the crowd, trying to guess how many more runs we'll get? 

I absolutely love the honesty and integrity in this thread.  

(PS Have we won yet?) 
     Football. 

That's why we love it. 
  • Yeah completely agree I didn’t even know we had won, expecting us to take one more! You even see Rowe starting to jog back like it was just another miss. So wasn't convinced that we had won! Then fans and players running started to make it feel real! As soon as I got on the pitch, I remember thinking in my head imagin if we’ve not won and we all have to get off to take one more pen 😂 

Brillaint night! 
  • edited May 2019
    Yep - you weren't the only one. 
  • I was exactly the same. My first thought was try and stop the players celebrating.

To make it worse I knew Sarr's penalty was for the win so completely thick on my part.

My head was gone.
  • I 100% thought there were more pens to come, id completely lost count! Only realised we'd actually done it when fans started bursting onto the pitch! Madness.
  • Weirdly his family seem to have a connection with Richard hill. Ex England rugby back row? He tweeted Ben in this instance and seems to have been tweeting about a Tom Purrington on other occasions. What's that about?
  • Weirdly his family seem to have a connection with Richard hill. Ex England rugby back row? He tweeted Ben in this instance and seems to have been tweeting about a Tom Purrington on other occasions. What's that about?
    Richard Hill is his uncle! Tom is his younger brother, who's at Plymouth (where Ben started)
  • Sponsored links:

• What was showing on the big screen during the penalties? Surely they were marked with red and green crosses/ticks?
  • mendonca said:
    What was showing on the big screen during the penalties? Surely they were marked with red and green crosses/ticks?
    Nah they just showed the penalties being taken by the players, no scoreboard or anything...
  • So glad someone started this thread! I was blaming the beers for my stupidity but the initial reaction from the North lower was definitely muted after the last miss and now I know it wasn’t just me!
  • I was sober and I thought Sarr was number 5, and we were into sudden death and was expecting a Charlton player to walk up to score to win it. 
  • Rothko said:
    I was sober and I thought Sarr was number 5, and we were into sudden death and was expecting a Charlton player to walk up to score to win it. 
    Sarr was number 5. However like most I'm sure we all forgot solly took 1st :blush:
  • Rothko said:
    I was sober and I thought Sarr was number 5, and we were into sudden death and was expecting a Charlton player to walk up to score to win it. 
    Sarr was number 5. However like most I'm sure we all forgot solly took 1st :blush:
    Ha! that's pretty much it
  • yep, I was pretty stunned when the players ran on.....
  • And me, listening from afar. I thought there had been some lag on the commentary. Was a big delay before leaping round the living room. 
  • Can we set this post as private so other clubs don't have it confirmed that we cannot read, write, add up!!