Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When they missed that last pen...

Comments

• I was still trying to work it out as the crowd spilled onto the pitch. I think i'll take a pen and paper to Wembley. Just in case!
  • Yes, and I did also feel like I was the only one. I also can't explain why it seemed that way. 
  • edited May 2019
    Me, my brother and dad just stood there in silence wondering why our players were legging it down to Phillips.

I was expecting it to be a very embarrassing moment live on sky with them having to walk back to the half way line again for us to score the winner.

Judging by Rowes reaction and even Phillips reaction, I don't think they were convinced it was over.
  • No. I thought it had gone in from the angle as I was sat in. Only when the onion bag didn’t move did I start to go bandy.
  • Yep. Me too

I was in a bar and everyone else was patting me on the back and I wasn't sure why.

Must be the DNA of a Charlton fan. Glass half empty and all that.
  • Yes, it was only when I saw the team going nuts and the staff were charging in the pitch that I realised.
    Still not ENTIRELY sure even now... 
    But I’ll take everyone’s word for it  :)

• It actually took me longer than a second to realise that he’d missed it. It was so bad I thought it had gone in.
  • edited May 2019
  • Sponsored links:

• Judging by Rowes reaction and even Phillips reaction, I don't think they were convinced it was over.
    That's an interesting point. He turned round and started jogging back instead of the more traditional collapsing to the turf.
  • seth plum said:
    As an aside, Solly taking the first pen.
    Eh?
    What a man. Hard to like him even more than I already do, but what a man.
    A true club captain moment that.

Absolutely right ... immense penalty, he was so calm 
  • I could bloody kill Solly for doing that!!

Reminded me of the West Brom penalties where their defenders took the first ones and messed up

For me though was the best penalty of the night - Can only imagine that was one of two reasons for him coming on, equally surprised Forster-Caskey didnt come on for one of those who would have been less than eager, unless of course he wasnt confident himself

Reminded me of the West Brom penalties where their defenders took the first ones and messed up

For me though was the best penalty of the night - Can only imagine that was one of two reasons for him coming on, equally surprised Forster-Caskey didnt come on for one of those who would have been less than eager, unless of course he wasnt confident himself
    Solly did also come on for match reasons too, Bielik was knackered and on a booking, so they shifted Djiksteel to Right CB.

Solly, Cullen, Taylor, Aribo all took decent penalties, the keeper didn't get near any of them

Solly did also come on for match reasons too, Bielik was knackered and on a booking, so they shifted Djiksteel to Right CB.

Solly, Cullen, Taylor, Aribo all took decent penalties, the keeper didn't get near any of them
    Yeah I understood why it was for Bielik, was equally surprised though it wasn't Pearce that came on instead

Of course the penalty that Chris took explained it but not at the time
  • edited May 2019
    Yep guilty as charged but happy as a pig in sh1t moments later. Only Charlton though can take you through all types of emotion. I often say  I'm hardened to it after 60+ years of more lows than highs but last night I realised I was lying to myself. On to Wembley and another roller coaster match no doubt COYRs!
  • Watching the highlights, the reaction of Rowe is weirdly understated considering the importance of the miss. That probably added to the confusion in the home fans!
  • I too thought we had another penalty to take. There was a delayed reaction until we saw the Charlton players sprinting towards the home end in celebration.
  • I was on track with what had to happen, but Rowe's penalty was so bad I actually wasn't sure what had happened with it. As first I thought he'd curled it over the bar, then the ball bounced round behind the goal and no-one reacted do I thought it must have gone in, then I saw Taylor celebrating and realised it had missed. I don't think I've ever seen a penalty bend away from the goal before.

Somewhere in Sutton Nicky Bailey is tearfully handing over his 'worst play off semi-final penalty ever' award
  • Sponsored links:

• Same for me at Wembley '98 - for a split second after THE save thought we had to score again!
  • edited May 2019
    I was on track with what had to happen, but Rowe's penalty was so bad I actually wasn't sure what had happened with it. As first I thought he'd curled it over the bar, then the ball bounced round behind the goal and no-one reacted do I thought it must have gone in, then I saw Taylor celebrating and realised it had missed. I don't think I've ever seen a penalty bend away from the goal before.

Somewhere in Sutton Nicky Bailey is tearfully handing over his 'worst play off semi-final penalty ever' award
    It was like a double cross in golf he meant to draw it but got it horribly wrong and sliced it 😂.
  • I was on track with what had to happen, but Rowe's penalty was so bad I actually wasn't sure what had happened with it. As first I thought he'd curled it over the bar, then the ball bounced round behind the goal and no-one reacted do I thought it must have gone in, then I saw Taylor celebrating and realised it had missed. I don't think I've ever seen a penalty bend away from the goal before.

I'm sure Yann still holds that award for his miss for Leicester!
  • This is exactly what happened to me. I knew we went first and was fine until after Sarr missed. Don't know what exactly caused me to lose track but I think it was something like, ok they've missed two, we need to score one of our last two to win. Did it go to sudden death or was it still in the first five?
  • The standard ten pens.
  • stonemuse said:
    seth plum said:
    As an aside, Solly taking the first pen.
    Eh?
    What a man. Hard to like him even more than I already do, but what a man.
    A true club captain moment that.

Absolutely right ... immense penalty, he was so calm 
    But is the shortest player ever to score a penalty for Charlton in a shoot out?
  • I had asked me brain box mate" so what happens with this one" "we score we win" he said. However all I did was ro slump down on my seat for I genuinely dont know how long, the noise seemed far away, I gradually came to and went absolutely bonkers with everyone else.
  • From the North Lower I couldn't work out if it went in or went wide, and looking at Phillips and they're player didn't help either as Rowe didn't react that much and Phillips had no idea where the ball went, took a couple of seconds before our players rushed forwards and everyone went mental
  • Watching back on the tv it’s obvious with the green and red boxes Andy the commentary. But at the game I genuinely lost track and when he missed I though if we score the next one we’ve done it, I suppose because I knew if Naby scored we’d won. The players and coaching staff went mad when he missed and I just thought they’d got this wrong and waited for the ref to restore order
    I watched on TV & still made this mistake. It was mad. Can't believe it now. Also thé ball came back and hit the net so thought for a mo that they'd scored.