Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flying in from Overseas

Comments

• Options
    Cape Town via Luxembourg.
    Arriving Friday or Saturday.
  • Options
    Flights booked this morning from Cork. 
  • Options
    Also sadly for Jessie UK visas take months, not days.
  • Options
    Ah bugger, forgot about the visa thing as well. Sorry Jessie.
  • Options
    @Oakster who are you flying with? I’m currently wrestling between my heart and my head on whether or not to go. Will probably wait to confirm I have a match ticket first before I book a flight. Best options for flights seem to be out of Calgary so we might end up on the same flight. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    aliwibble said:
    @JessieAddick Go on, ask your boss. You know you want to...
    I chatted briefly with a Chinese Sunderland fan the other day. He studied at University of Sunderland IIRC and now is back in China. I mentioned my situation at work and how difficult it is to apply for an overseas trip in just two weeks in a company like mine despite all the encouragement from you lovely people. All he said was "they (meaning you) won't be able to understand it." 😂

It's hard to explain in a few words. I don't think it's wise to talk about anything remotely sensitive these days😅..... Anyway, hope everyone that flies to London has a safe trip and wonderful time at Wembley!!! I'll be cheering for the team at home!!! 😊
    Excuse my ignorance but why should it matter to your employer whether you go abroad or not when you’re on annual leave?
    I work in a state-owned bank. State-owned, and it's a bank (think about big money). Hopefully this will help you understand why. :wink:
    I guess you'd also need a visa, Jessie, and that would take time.

Should have finished reading the thread before commenting as two people beat me to this!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I chatted briefly with a Chinese Sunderland fan the other day. He studied at University of Sunderland IIRC and now is back in China. I mentioned my situation at work and how difficult it is to apply for an overseas trip in just two weeks in a company like mine despite all the encouragement from you lovely people. All he said was "they (meaning you) won't be able to understand it." 😂

It's hard to explain in a few words. I don't think it's wise to talk about anything remotely sensitive these days😅..... Anyway, hope everyone that flies to London has a safe trip and wonderful time at Wembley!!! I'll be cheering for the team at home!!! 😊
    Excuse my ignorance but why should it matter to your employer whether you go abroad or not when you’re on annual leave?
    I work in a state-owned bank. State-owned, and it's a bank (think about big money). Hopefully this will help you understand why. :wink:

Should have finished reading the thread before commenting as two people beat me to this!
    Yes, passport, visa, a lot of other things to prepare and apply for. So this is not possible with such a short time left.
  • Options
    Can't do it, got an 8 hour round trip on the 25th to take my Mrs to a wedding, so won't get home until at least 19:00 and the crossings are through the roof, trains tickets are through the roof and the flights don't work out with timing. Ffs
  • Options
    Already here. I fly over at the end of April every year in the hope that we make the play offs. It’s paid off the last two years. Let’s just hope we all get tickets. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thoughts on using a third party agent? Just realised it’s an extra $6-900 for me to book direct with the airline 😐
  • Options
    Just booked from Prague. Neighbour and Sparta fan Mad Vincent coming with me.

Also booked into my usual B&B in Eltham, owner is Sunderland fan. He is 67 or so, and has a season ticket (More so that he can get access to the away limited capacity matches nearer Eltham). Yet he had pre-booked a weekend away with his wife for this weekend. I was expecting his place would be stuffed with Mackems, as he is also on their committee of London based fans. When I expressed my surprise, he was a bit sheepish. Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Can't do it, got an 8 hour round trip on the 25th to take my Mrs to a wedding, so won't get home until at least 19:00 and the crossings are through the roof, trains tickets are through the roof and the flights don't work out with timing. Ffs
    i_b_b_o_r_g  bit of a long shot, but you can still travel by ferry and train from France to London. Worth a look? This page tells you all you need
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Thoughts on using a third party agent? Just realised it’s an extra $6-900 for me to book direct with the airline 😐
    Pay the extra for peace of mind.  It will be worth it if we win.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Flight Centre has a price beating guarantee. Pop in and talk to them. There's one on Shortland Street (near Queen Street). 
  • Options
    @Oakster who are you flying with? I’m currently wrestling between my heart and my head on whether or not to go. Will probably wait to confirm I have a match ticket first before I book a flight. Best options for flights seem to be out of Calgary so we might end up on the same flight. 
    Hi mate - Westjet direct return out of Calgary (Weds out, Tues back) - $1000 return each 😯
  • Options
    Oakster said:
    Hi mate - Westjet direct return out of Calgary (Weds out, Tues back) - $1000 return each 😯
    That’s be my flight back to Alberta, I’m looking st flying out on the Friday though. I have some Westjet miles to use that reduces the cost. Still a bloody expensive trip for a football match. Timing is bad too as we’ve a few other big expense lately. All logic says I shouldn’t go... yet a little voice in my head tells me otherwise. 
  • Options
    Flying in from North Macedonia on Thursday, almost with a winning Eurovision entry :-)
  • Options
    Oakster said:
    That’s be my flight back to Alberta, I’m looking st flying out on the Friday though. I have some Westjet miles to use that reduces the cost. Still a bloody expensive trip for a football match. Timing is bad too as we’ve a few other big expense lately. All logic says I shouldn’t go... yet a little voice in my head tells me otherwise. 
    Sounds like a great excuse for a celebratory or commiseratory pint at Gatwick before the flight back :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Yes, passport, visa, a lot of other things to prepare and apply for. So this is not possible with such a short time left.
    Cant you stow away in the cargo hold by jumping on the wheel just as its taking off? - Have seen it happen a few times in films and looks simple enough
  • Options
    Flights booked this morning from Cork. 
    What flight are you on? We're out with Ryanair at 6.15 am into Stansted and then back with Aer Lingus via Heathrow at 22.15
  • Options
    i_b_b_o_r_g  bit of a long shot, but you can still travel by ferry and train from France to London. Worth a look? This page tells you all you need
    Cheers mate
  • Options
    Wedding in Spain on the Saturday. Staying sober and driving two hours to Barcelona airport for a 6am Sunday flight. Glad I booked that back in Feb, although annoying my more expensive one home on Monday is now going to waste...
  • Options
    olster said:
    Wedding in Spain on the Saturday. Staying sober and driving two hours to Barcelona airport for a 6am Sunday flight. Glad I booked that back in Feb, although annoying my more expensive one home on Monday is now going to waste...
    Are you flying into Stansted Olster? I’m on the 7.05 into LGW but did contemplate the earlier one.

Ditto about the more expensive flight too.
  • Options
    Coming in from Alicante to Gatwick on Saturday morning.
  • Options
    olster said:
    Are you flying into Stansted Olster? I’m on the 7.05 into LGW but did contemplate the earlier one.

Ditto about the more expensive flight too.
    Yep flying into stansted, which is a pain as i'm south - but I think i'm going to leave a bag at a mates house in Dalston this week and go there for shower etc before heading over to Wembley. Logistics!