Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What does the sell-out tell us about our club?

Comments

• Options
    Sure - the rest is the Bowyer effect!
  • Options
    So when bowyer signs a new contract we can expect thousands more in season tickets
  • Options
    Confused.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    So when bowyer signs a new contract we can expect thousands more in season tickets
    Of course not, but it’s enough to get people out on big occasions. Just like an FA Cup run.
  • Options
    Back to the article, agree with the first couple of points, not the third though. No one will be coming tomorrow on the basis of understanding how crucial it is to the club’s future.

Virtually no one in the grand scheme of things are looking beyond tomorrow and hopefully a Wembley follow up
  • Options
    I say "Welcome" to the Arsenal fans, maybe they'll stick around.

• Options
    charlton has always had a large 'floating' support. People turn up for the occasional game, for their local team although they may officially support a premier league side 
  • Options
    Back to the article, agree with the first couple of points, not the third though. No one will be coming tomorrow on the basis of understanding how crucial it is to the club’s future.

Virtually no one in the grand scheme of things are looking beyond tomorrow and hopefully a Wembley follow up

But a Wembley follow up was on offer last season and only 14k turned up. The Bowyer effect explains some of the increase but not a complete sell-out.

There is something else going on beneath the surface.

• Options
    Pico said:

But a Wembley follow up was on offer last season and only 14k turned up. The Bowyer effect explains some of the increase but not a complete sell-out.

Last season, we had Gobbo in charge for most of it, and didn’t play all that well. The Renaissance has only been since LB/JJ and this time last year was too early for the full impact to be seen.
  • Options
    Quite a few bandwagoners I personally know 3 arsenal fans attending which does piss me off a little 
    We have one of their players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    Quite a few bandwagoners I personally know 3 arsenal fans attending which does piss me off a little 
    Why would Arsenal fans even be interested in this game?!
    To see Bielik?
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    charlton has always had a large 'floating' support. People turn up for the occasional game, for their local team although they may officially support a premier league side 
    We can tap into a pretty big geographical area - our bit of south east London, and Kent all the way to the coast, with only Gillingham to compete with.
  • Options
    Pico said:

There may well be, but the reason for more people going is not because they are fearful for the club’s future, imo.

if anything, I’d put more weight to the new online ticket system all the club’s use which shows sales going up and available seats decreasing. It creates visual momentum to back up the general excitement. I genuinely put this as having a factor in why we took so many to Peterborough this year and then sold out Oxford, Gillingham, Doncaster. People in two minds about going to these games, see that it looks like we are taking a good following and don’t want to miss out. Momentum and interest spirals from this, not because Bowyer, Aribo and co are out of contract in a fortnight imo.
  • Options
    I went last year too, but I do feel that Bowyer has done something special and fans know that and know he, his staff and all the lads deserve our support. I think our best team this season would beat our League winning side under Powell. We play terrific football which is a joy to watch and the skill levels are better than many Championship clubs. We can get so passionate about winning that we often forget football is an entertainment industry - look at yesterday's game and teams like Pompey who do relatively well but play to a system with mostly limited players. When you see a manager put together a team with adventure and flair, it is a pleasure to watch them.  
  • Options
    This sell out will never be explained.
    Rattle your brains as much as you want and you won't get there.
    To guarantee themselves a final ticket was a thought , but why not go last year.
    Blimey it's not even like the home attendance grew much towards the end of the season and we were getting gates of 15000 -16000.
    It will always be one of the great unexplained and people will be talking about this day in years to come

• Options
    It could all have been a Russian hacking episode and we turn up tonight and there are 13,000 people there
    I'm telling you until I see the valley full tonight , I don't believe it.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think I think some of it can be explained, quite simply, we are playing good attacking football, often encompassing quick accurate passing, the defence is solid, we are not losing and our home record this season is fantastic. We got two great stalwarts of our history running running the club. Basically unlike last year it’s a pleasure going to watch good flowing football.

This combination in my opinion has generated a great feel good factor around Charlton, which has spread to other people within the framework of the club, thus spreading happiness in both direction from the club employees to the fans and vica versa, thus generating a feel good factor surrounding all that is Charlton.

(either that or the pain killers for my broken foot are working to well) Boy do I wish I could there tonight with the rest of you, but injury prevents it, so it’s the fan sofa for me as well.
  • Options
    I think @AFKABartram made a good point about how the ticket system showing sales has had an effect on sales.

In my "charlton life" we have gone from being able to walk up at 2.55 and guaranteed to get in, had to either have a season ticket or buy tickets as soon as they went on sale to get in back to the walk up situation.  I would imagine that effects of a lot of people's behaviour. I know it does mine.

If you have a season ticket, or had to plan you were going to a game 2 or 3 weeks in advance, you go, unless something serious changes.  If you plan on buying "a walk up" the wife might drop something on you last minute, you might wake up a bit hung over after a few to many the night before, it might be pissing it down or another 1000 diffrent reasons you end up not going.

Is this reflected in the gates for football for a fiver games?   If we think it's going to sell out, people buy tickets early and plan, if we don't less people do and more people don't end up going? 
  • Options
    But is someone who has been to 4 or 5 games this season be that engrossed in the ticketing system.
    Blimey we've sold out with 3 day to go.
    It's not even like the sales team have had to work on the event up to the last minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    But is someone who has been to 4 or 5 games this season be that engrossed in the ticketing system.
    Blimey we've sold out with 3 day to go.
    It's not even like the sales team have had to work on the event up to the last minute.
    No but if someone reads CL, twitter etc and sees areas are being sold out or limited availability they are going to buy sooner.  Thus reducing supply even more, it snowballs. 
  • Options

Our fans have risen to the challenge -

Because five years of the Belgian is more than enough
    Because the league season is long but the POs are short and sharp Away! Home! W*****y!!!
    Because it's drama in a bottle - concentrated and piquant
    Because the team's ability and freedom to play is like we're now in daylight after a long tunnel
    Because after many miserable cold and wet matchdays we are in Springtime in a resplendent Valley
    Because it's our turn
    Because the Owner has divided the fanbase but for now at least there is a broad concensus to re-unite
    Because our Charlton pride, never absent but discreetly tucked away, can now be openly expressed once again
    Because we are ready to be led now that we finally have good leaders

That's just for starters??

• Options
    I think there really was 12000 people boycotting, not just 4.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    We can tap into a pretty big geographical area - our bit of south east London, and Kent all the way to the coast, with only Gillingham to compete with.
    Are you sure about that. Anyone that has ever been on a train to East Kent on a Saturday evening will have seen loads of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham fans. We don't just compete with Gillingham for support in Kent. 
  • Options
    I think I think some of it can be explained, quite simply, we are playing good attacking football, often encompassing quick accurate passing, the defence is solid, we are not losing and our home record this season is fantastic. We got two great stalwarts of our history running running the club. Basically unlike last year it’s a pleasure going to watch good flowing football.

This combination in my opinion has generated a great feel good factor around Charlton, which has spread to other people within the framework of the club, thus spreading happiness in both direction from the club employees to the fans and vica versa, thus generating a feel good factor surrounding all that is Charlton.

(either that or the pain killers for my broken foot are working to well) Boy do I wish I could there tonight with the rest of you, but injury prevents it, so it’s the fan sofa for me as well.
    This is pretty much it and would account for the increase on last season.
    However, I think the selling of at least 5,000 tickets was mainly down to me and the excitement I generated on the official ticket sale thread, ably assisted by Addickted and others :-)
  • Options

This is pretty much it and would account for the increase on last season.
    However, I think the selling of at least 5,000 tickets was mainly down to me and the excitement I generated on the official ticket sale thread, ably assisted by Addickted and others :-)
    Well played @Covered have one of Henry’s promotes. 
  • Options
    1 - atmosphere 2 - good football team to watch 3 - success on the pitch  & 4 - huge catchment area, collectively = this crowd tonight & going forward
  • Options
    It shows a potential new owner the support is still there - and that if they enable the team to be successful, they may need to budget for a ground extension!
  • Options
    Hahah boycott until you start to do well again. Was the same with Leeds. 

Your ground was about a third full at the beginning of the season. Admit it, you just didn’t fancy it because it was a bit crap. :wink:
  • Options
    Hahah boycott until you start to do well again. Was the same with Leeds. 

Your ground was about a third full at the beginning of the season. Admit it, you just didn’t fancy it because it was a bit crap. :wink:
    Oi do one done 13 aways this season