Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Please can we put the Roland issue to one side for now?

Comments

• Off_it said:
    captainbob said:r
    I think a sensible compromise would be to sing it quietly.
    Mime it
    I'll stick to typing otherwise you won't see it.
  • So let's remind ourselves.... we still have a management team who will be out of contract in max 2 games time, fair chunk of the team out of contract in max 2 games. Shouldn't douchatelet be giving us some positive news leading up to this critical games in the club's history.......but no just snid comments on the web site aimed at the fans!!! I say give it to him with both barrels (after the game)!. 
    100% correct, during or after the game, or at half time.  As others have said a chant against RD doesn't compromise our support for the team and it's completely ludicrous to suggest that it does.
  • Personally I feel we should just all forget about Roland until the season is over one way or another.

Remember how The Valley was against Ipswich in 98 we have a rare chance on our hands to create a similar atmosphere, do we really want to look back in 21 years time when Roland's long gone and remember singing songs about a bloke who doesn't give a toss about the club? I'm sure the memories would be a lot better if Roland isn't mentioned at all.

Don't get me wrong if we lose and go out at The Valley or at Wembley then all bets are off and let the chants happen. No it's not about results it's about giving Bowyer and the boys our full support to help get us back to The Championship against all odds. Friday night is all about us, our club Charlton, and Roland is not Charlton, just ignore him - for now.
    My god, you are so wrong. You say it's not about results but you say that if we go out on Friday or lose at Wembley, then it's okay to protest. That clearly states that it is all about results.
    By all means support the team on Friday and at Wembley but, even if things are going well, remember the bigger picture and register your displeasure at the current ownership by singing anti-Duchatelet songs, reminding the wider football world that we will not just accept things as they are.
    I hope to be doing just this as we extend our lead to two or three goals on Friday evening. 
    In 10 days time we could be back in The Championship. I will be amazed if RD is not still the owner in 10 days time.

My point is that protests should be shelved with all focus on getting behind the team as much as possible and just forgetting about Roland for 10 days. He'll still be here but we can do something about getting out of League One in 10 days time.

I understand the point your making, we all want RD gone but we've been singing anti RD songs for years now and he's still here. He'll still be here if we're at Wembley so why not try to recreate the Ipswich 98 atmosphere fully on the team and not some bloke who won't be here in years to come when we all one day look back on Friday warmly - hopefully.
  • Personally I feel we should just all forget about Roland until the season is over one way or another.

Remember how The Valley was against Ipswich in 98 we have a rare chance on our hands to create a similar atmosphere, do we really want to look back in 21 years time when Roland's long gone and remember singing songs about a bloke who doesn't give a toss about the club? I'm sure the memories would be a lot better if Roland isn't mentioned at all.

Don't get me wrong if we lose and go out at The Valley or at Wembley then all bets are off and let the chants happen. No it's not about results it's about giving Bowyer and the boys our full support to help get us back to The Championship against all odds. Friday night is all about us, our club Charlton, and Roland is not Charlton, just ignore him - for now.
    My god, you are so wrong. You say it's not about results but you say that if we go out on Friday or lose at Wembley, then it's okay to protest. That clearly states that it is all about results.
    By all means support the team on Friday and at Wembley but, even if things are going well, remember the bigger picture and register your displeasure at the current ownership by singing anti-Duchatelet songs, reminding the wider football world that we will not just accept things as they are.
    I hope to be doing just this as we extend our lead to two or three goals on Friday evening. 
    Agree with everything Clive but don't mention the 'W' word, that Stadium close to Brent Cross, let's wait until the fat lady sings, hopefully before the pubs shut on Friday night. 

In 10 days time we could be back in The Championship. I will be amazed if RD is not still the owner in 10 days time.

My point is that protests should be shelved with all focus on getting behind the team as much as possible and just forgetting about Roland for 10 days. He'll still be here but we can do something about getting out of League One in 10 days time.

I understand the point your making, we all want RD gone but we've been singing anti RD songs for years now and he's still here. He'll still be here if we're at Wembley so why not try to recreate the Ipswich 98 atmosphere fully on the team and not some bloke who won't be here in years to come when we all one day look back on Friday warmly - hopefully.
    We could be back in the Championship but I don't necessarily believe that we will be in a better position.
    I would love things to be as they were in '98; that night against Ipswich was special, as was the game against Sunderland.
    Things are not the same as they were then though. 
    You can't say protest if things aren' t going well and then say, at the same time, that it isn't about results. I want Duchatelet and the wider world to know that, under his ownership nothing is acceptable. 
  • What’s he said now?
  • edited May 2019
    Personally I feel we should just all forget about Roland until the season is over one way or another.

We could be back in the Championship but I don't necessarily believe that we will be in a better position.
    I would love things to be as they were in '98; that night against Ipswich was special, as was the game against Sunderland.
    You can't say protest if things aren' t going well and then say, at the same time, that it isn't about results. I want Duchatelet and the wider world to know that, under his ownership nothing is acceptable. 
    I agree we won't be in a better position but we won't be in a worse position for at least 12 months which buys us some time to hopefully tie down Bowyer and some of the key players. Who knows maybe Bowyer could even keep us in The Championship despite RD.

You said it yourself the Ipswich night was special, my point mostly is we have another chance potentially to create another special night on Friday - I just wouldn't like it tarnished with protest songs I would just like to look back on it like I do the Ipswich 98 game and why I say to keep protests out of it for now. If we lose the game then the night won't be up there with Ipswich 98 anyway which is why I would say if we lose then all bets are off and protest away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    Mime it
    I'll stick to typing otherwise you won't see it.
    What are the words to Roland Out?

I agree we won't be in a better position but we won't be in a worse position for at least 12 months which buys us some time to hopefully tie down Bowyer and some of the key players. Who knows maybe Bowyer could even keep us in The Championship despite RD.

You said it yourself the Ipswich night was special, my point mostly is we have another chance potentially to create another special night on Friday - I just wouldn't like it tarnished with protest songs I would just like to look back on it like I do the Ipswich 98 game and why I say to keep protests out of it for now. If we lose the game then the night won't be up there with Ipswich 98 anyway which is why I would say if we lose then all bets are off and protest away.
    I honestly think that you need a reality check. It will be great if we get the job done on Friday evening, with a great atmosphere and then again in ten days time. All the time, however, there is this great big grey cloud hanging over us.
    No sane owner would leave the club without suitable senior managers in place to run the club on a day-to-day basis; no sane owner would allow a manager with the record of Bowyer to be unsigned; no sane owner would allow the vast majority of the current first team to be going out of contract in a few weeks time.
    Whatever happens on the pitch is irrelevant all the time that we are owned by this lunatic.
    We could have a wonderful night on Friday and at Wembley, untarnished by protest songs, but what happens if it all unravels shortly thereafter? 
    A reality check? No need for insults mate. Anyone can see if we don't go up it will all unravel very quickly, as soon as Friday night potentially it could all begin to unravel where we're all left in limbo until all the contracts expire end of next month with the club going into hibernation. Singing protest songs or not will not stop it all unravelling if we don't go up. It won't make any real difference to the game either honestly, I just don't agree it's the right occasion, IMO just enjoy the night and forget about RD is all I'm saying. You see it differently to me and that's fine.
  • IdleHans said:
    Off_it said:
    Mime it
    Express it through the medium of interpretive dance
    Don't be daft there won't be room. I'm singing it in brail.

I honestly think that you need a reality check. It will be great if we get the job done on Friday evening, with a great atmosphere and then again in ten days time. All the time, however, there is this great big grey cloud hanging over us.
    No sane owner would leave the club without suitable senior managers in place to run the club on a day-to-day basis; no sane owner would allow a manager with the record of Bowyer to be unsigned; no sane owner would allow the vast majority of the current first team to be going out of contract in a few weeks time.
    Whatever happens on the pitch is irrelevant all the time that we are owned by this lunatic.
    We could have a wonderful night on Friday and at Wembley, untarnished by protest songs, but what happens if it all unravels shortly thereafter? 
    100%
  • Shitweasel will probably be watching this game on a tv somewhere. 
    25k Charlton fans singing we want Roland out has to be a good thing.
    Let's face it there will probably be non stop singing for 90 minutes anyway. 
    The odd protest song will not bother the team one iota.
    Doubt he even knows we’re playing.
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    The last 2 statements from Roland have been pathetic and it's nothing new but I'm very surprised of the timing considering we're doing so well and that is thanks to the management team, the players and the scouting team. That's why I believe we should temporary ignore Roland and concentrate on carrying supporting Bowyer and the lads as they really deserve it and I do not think any negative chanting and protesting will do them any favours.

I'm not one of these Roland apologists..far from it as I back what CARD and any other protest groups are doing but let's show prospective new owners the passion us supporters show in our beloved club. Hopefully..promotion = more attractive to new owners.

COYR!!!!!

Yawn. Is that not what's happened the last few months??

A reality check? No need for insults mate. Anyone can see if we don't go up it will all unravel very quickly, as soon as Friday night potentially it could all begin to unravel where we're all left in limbo until all the contracts expire end of next month with the club going into hibernation. Singing protest songs or not will not stop it all unravelling if we don't go up. It won't make any real difference to the game either honestly, I just don't agree it's the right occasion, IMO just enjoy the night and forget about RD is all I'm saying. You see it differently to me and that's fine.
    Didn't mean to insult you.
    It isn't a question of whether we go up or not, as it could all go tits up either way under this twat of an owner and that is why it can't be like 1998.
    I'll try to enjoy Friday but there will always be a dark cloud hanging over the club all the time that he owns it and I can't just push that out of my mind.
    The real reason that I'm attending on Friday, other than my son really wanting to go, is that I fear that this may be the last time that The Valley will ever be full and I want my son to see that and remember it that way. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    This last few weeks should have been all about "f you" look what we have done DESPITE you.  Look at what you could have with some investment.  This is the best advert for a new buyer we could ever have. 
    I think you are pretty much spot on, apart from the investment bit. He has pumped a hell of a lot in but wasted most of it. Very seldom has an owner spent so much to achieve so little while taking a club apart from top to bottom. 
    I, like you, want  to show the owner how we feel about our club, what he could have been part of. It’s not like we were anti Belgium from day one despite what Standard fans were warning of. 
    When we are out of sight in the 85 minute and Doncaster all but making the numbers up I think a minute or two of anti Roland songs is acceptable as long as we get back to supporting the team straight after.
    Which ever way this season ends for us we would do well to remember the club is in for a very difficult summer and who knows what next season.
    We haven't had any real investment in the playing staff since Slades only transfer window.  Iirc the only fees we have paid since then have been nominal for JFC, Page, Fosu and a couple from non league who haven't made the 1st team. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This last few weeks should have been all about "f you" look what we have done DESPITE you.  Look at what you could have with some investment.  This is the best advert for a new buyer we could ever have. 
    I think you are pretty much spot on, apart from the investment bit. He has pumped a hell of a lot in but wasted most of it. Very seldom has an owner spent so much to achieve so little while taking a club apart from top to bottom. 
    I, like you, want  to show the owner how we feel about our club, what he could have been part of. It’s not like we were anti Belgium from day one despite what Standard fans were warning of. 
    When we are out of sight in the 85 minute and Doncaster all but making the numbers up I think a minute or two of anti Roland songs is acceptable as long as we get back to supporting the team straight after.
    Which ever way this season ends for us we would do well to remember the club is in for a very difficult summer and who knows what next season.
    We haven't had any real investment in the playing staff since Slades only transfer window.  Iirc the only fees we have paid since then have been nominal for JFC, Page, Fosu and a couple from non league who haven't made the 1st team. 
    If only Roland had given Bowyer loads of money to buy players, we could have signed the likes of Taylor, Aribo, Sarr...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If only Roland had given Bowyer loads of money to buy players, we could have signed the likes of Taylor, Aribo, Sarr...
    If only Roland gave Bowyer any money we could hold onto the likes of Taylor, Aribo, Sarr... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Strange that 2 3rds of those were signed before the time I mentioned........... Not to mention the other was a free transfer. The point I was making is we haven't paid a proper transfer fee in nearly 3 years.  We pay good wages for this level, which isn't disputed. 

I remember nothing about the Ipswich game anyway, only just recall the goal!! Certainly won't remember anything about Friday night in 20 years time, least of all what songs were sung. Roland is scum, lets get him out whilst supporting the team.
  • Not sure why this thread was started to be honest?
  • Some good points above....can only hope that the last few weeks has interested a new buyer....as without one I'd really fear for CAFC IF they reach the Championship. 
    Doubt he even knows we’re playing.
    I really believe that he won't bother watching.