Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Doncaster | Fri 17 May | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• SDAddick said:
    Look if any of you have slept since Sunday you're better people than I am.

How I think Bowyer will line up:
    .......................Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Sarr Purrington
    ...................Bielik Cullen
    ......................Aribo
    .................Taylor Parker

How I would line up:
    ................Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    ..............Bielik
    ......Cullen......Reeves
    ..............Aribo
    ...........Parker Taylor

I've been saying it for the past couple years, but I think that Pearce drops too deep and forces us to defend too deep/leave gaps between defense and midfield. But I think that Bowyer will start with him in a back three. 

In the team I would choose, it's tough between Reeves, Williams, and Morgan. Morgan has obviously shown himself to be very skillful. Williams, we know his class. And Reeves has quietly had quite a good season. I've gone with Reeves to 1) Let Aribo play in the 10 role, and 2) because he does an excellent job of helping us retain possession, and I think our best approach to this game is to stifle them with possession. He also can get stuck in and get into passing lanes. Going with Williams or Morgan also has their upside. I just hope we don't go with Pratley in there. With Bielik and Cullen we have enough defensive ability, and while Pratley has improved second half, he doesn't provide much in possession and slows things down drastically. And also, can get caught out of position.

Lastly, I think Bowyer would be dead wrong to drop Dijksteel for Solly. Dijksteel has been excellent for weeks. Solly has had a meandering season. Solly has traditionally played best when he has competition, which we haven't had enough of at RB in recent years. But right now, the shirt is Dijksteel's to lose. 
    I don't think Bowyer will do the same thing again with 5-3-2 / 3-5-2, but Donny will have to cater for that in their thinking.  So:

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Cullen Williams
    Aribo
    Taylor Parker
    That is the team I would go with. pretty damn strong IMO. 
  • I have been quietly confident of late & have predicted correctly the last 3 wins.......even down to the correct score in all 3 !!

However, the balloons gotta burst some time & my senses say the Friday night will be another Swindon moment, but this time not even going to penalties. Sorry to say but we won't be going to Wembley.

0-2. Taylor sent off.

that's more like the Golfie I know
  • Nervous, excited, semi-ready. This is just today! I am having a half day and meeting my friend around 3 so will probably be on my way drunkenness, but I have a feeling we will win semi comfortable if that's possible?

2-0 home win! Felt we were too strong in the first leg and hopefully we don't sit back, get that early goal and let the atmosphere go wild. COYR

• Nervous, excited, semi-ready. This is just today! I am having a half day and meeting my friend around 3 so will probably be on my way drunkenness, but I have a feeling we will win semi comfortable if that's possible?

2-0 home win! Felt we were too strong in the first leg and hopefully we don't sit back, get that early goal and let the atmosphere go wild. COYR

If you have a semi-ready I suggest you take care of that before you attend...
    ....and it’s good for your prostrate!
  • Was having a few beers in Bromley last night and got chatting to a couple of lads from 'Ooooop North' working in the area - Grimsby fans actually and when they found out I was a Charlton fan 'Super Clive' came to the fore. Never mind Sunderland, they look on him as a Grimsby FC legend. Anyway, they wished us well, saying they hoped we tanked Sunderland in the final.
  • Says the player who is trying to deny they are under pressure. Both teams have pressure, utterly pointless empty statement. A bit like this post

If you have a semi-ready I suggest you take care of that before you attend...

oooerr
  • Just bumped into Gary Nelson, he’s double confident we are going up
  • Pressure is a privilege.

• Sponsored links:

• edited May 2019
    Just bumped into Gary Nelson, he’s double confident we are going up
    Am I the only person to read this as double incontinent...
  • 2-0 Charlton. Confident about this one. Think players like Taylor, Solly will calm the younger lads down and keep them focused but encourage them to relish the occasion.

Taylor and Sarr to score. Would like to see Parker get on the score sheet though, needs that goal! 

But if he wants to wait for a last gasp winner at Wembley, I dont mind that :smile:
    Not sure it will be Taylor and Solly calming the others down, considering Taylor has played the whole season on the edge and Solly has been red carded twice!
  • 2-0 Charlton. Confident about this one. Think players like Taylor, Solly will calm the younger lads down and keep them focused but encourage them to relish the occasion.

Taylor and Sarr to score. Would like to see Parker get on the score sheet though, needs that goal! 

But if he wants to wait for a last gasp winner at Wembley, I dont mind that :smile:
    Not sure it will be Taylor and Solly calming the others down, considering Taylor has played the whole season on the edge and Solly has been red carded twice!
    A classic case of 'Do as I say not as I do'.
  • When did we last sell out a home match?

Haha in terms of experience then! Sure Taylor will be doing his best to wind everyone up!
  • It's all about defence tomorrow. Bowyer needs to get our back four and midfield to play in tight banks near the 18 yard line so we can soak up pressure from the off. Luxury players like Aribo and Cullen should be benched and Taylor needs to be reminded that his primary job is as an  auxillary centre half. Got a good feeling about this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Said we would get beat last week and was gladly wrong so predicting 2-0 loss in the hope that I am wrong again.
  • edited May 2019
    It's all about defence tomorrow. Bowyer needs to get our back four and midfield to play in tight banks near the 18 yard line so we can soak up pressure from the off. Luxury players like Aribo and Cullen should be benched and Taylor needs to be reminded that his primary job is as an  auxillary centre half. Got a good feeling about this one.

Disagree, we play near the 18yard line and defensive we will open ourselves up. Just set up as if its 0-0 we should win as we have the better players. We need to be tight at the back that's a given but we have done that recently when playing on the front foot, pressure from the middle/ up top and just fight for every ball.
    This, this and this again. In the League we have been beaten twice at the Valley and that was ages ago and only by one goal and we deserved to win both of those. This team is suited to going toe to toe with opponents. Being even a little more cautious than we normally are at the Valley would be a major error IMO.
  • the one thing that speaks volume is we arent getting involved in this trash talking like donny seem to be - instead we are remaining professional and confident we can get job done, if donny do not an early goal can see them getting frustrated and giving away a lot of fouls.  
    They can foul all they like as long as none of our lot are injured or sent off for responding in kind.
  • 3/4-0, half of south London has a cracking headache come Saturday morning and all brunch plans are cancelled. 
  • I don't think Doncaster are a especially physical or dirty side anyway. Besides we can hardly talk, we have the 4th worst disciplinary record in the division! Amazingly Sunderland have received 7 straight reds, while Fleetwood play like their manager...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/fairnesstabelle/wettbewerb/GB3
  • I'm swithering between it being an easy peasy win and going one down with Taylor sent off. That late goal for Donny didn't seem to matter too much at the time because we had still won away, but Derby smashing four past Leeds this week hasn't helped my confidence. I'm going for scraping by - 0-0 or 1-1.
  • edited May 2019
    Macronate said:

Doncaster are plotted up at the Marriott in Bexleyheath.

Coincidentally, I've just opened up a concession next door selling vuvuzelas, foghorns, drum kits, whistles, jackhammers, house alarms, fireworks, aeroplanes when they're taking off, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, chain saws, snowmobiles, cuckoo clocks and humming refrigerators.

I saw a suggestion on Facebook the other day, about some lads giving Donny an early morning wake up call.
    Someone must have an old cucuracha horn on their motor >:).