Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Doncaster | Fri 17 May | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Croydon said:
    I keep reading from the Donny side that their “second half performance showed what we are capable of”.

Is it just me that didn’t really feel threatened in any sense in that second half? If anything I thought they were more dangerous in the first half prior to us scoring our goals.

Is this Donny spin? I genuinely feel we have nothing to fear.

There is a good chance we keep a clean sheet on Friday. There is an even better chance that we restrict them to one goal or less. If they score twice then I will consider it a fluke, given their away record and our overall defensive record.

That means scoring one home goal should be enough in 90% ish of cases. Two goals virtually guarantees progress.
    We created more chances in the second half and arguably had more more of the ball. Apart from the goal, Donny's best football was early on when Phillips made the save and they but the bar.
    That was my reading of it too.
  • I thought they had a good first 15 minutes, after which we were in full control.

They tried swapping Wilkes to the other side without success and the ran out if ideas. They are quite good at set pieces and this will still be their best chance of nicking a goal. If they get an early one they will defend with everything they have.

No doubt a commentator will say that the first goal will be important, and it will be. Everything in my being wants that to be us. 
  • Other than before we scored the first goal, we didn’t look in any trouble, and in the first half we were taking them apart at will. Second half we clearly took our foot off the gas and made some changes, but even then they didn’t look like scoring, and wouldn’t have done bar the flukey deflection.
  • I've supported charlton long enough to know we don't do things easily so wouldn't be surprised to go down to 10 men early doors and 0-1 at half time.

However, it's been a while since I've had such confidence in a charlton team and am optimistic enough to be winning this game 2 or 3-0.

Unfortunately I'm in paphos for the final and was due to fly home during play-off final kick off. So have decided to stay there an extra night allowing me to watch the game out there.
  • I'm usually negative for our big games, I remember all the coaches coming down the hill into Blackburn, some of the fans going by plane to Middlesborough where we had our special teeshirts and the Swindon playoff, all failures on the big occasion.

I also remember how we passed the ball against Rochdale and to a certain extent at Donny, I see how Bowyer has made it his team and they have belief and how we have all made the Valley a fortress.

With these contrasting thought there is that nagging thought that this is our year

1-0
  • Excited, two more get ups. Anyone know what time the gates and bar open at the valley. Agree with all logic says its going to be a happy valley....but listening to another surprising reverse as Derby winning. Not sure I'm going to het there in time for beers in bugle. 61 years young and excited doesn't do it justice. Coyr but sell the fkin club please
  • It won't be easy, it never is. Still believe we will be celebrating come full time.
  • edited May 2019
    Clean sheet. That's all I ask.
  • Excited, two more get ups. Anyone know what time the gates and bar open at the valley. Agree with all logic says its going to be a happy valley....but listening to another surprising reverse as Derby winning. Not sure I'm going to het there in time for beers in bugle. 61 years young and excited doesn't do it justice. Coyr but sell the fkin club please
    6.15pm.
  • Sponsored links:

• This result could even be a blessing for us

Hopefully Bowyer gets the players to watch the Leeds game after training tomorrow and at the end simply says: "See our tie is now where near over"

Just the sort of thing that would be ideal to remind the players to not relax too much
    I tell you what. The Donny players will be watching it and taking hope. They're going to come at us from the first whistle.
  • What are we predicting the pre-match display is going to be of? (https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cdc52d044de0/volunteers-needed-on-friday-to-help-with-pre-match-display) 

Roger Johnson telling Donny to F off?
  • edited May 2019
    This result could even be a blessing for us

Hopefully Bowyer gets the players to watch the Leeds game after training tomorrow and at the end simply says: "See our tie is now where near over"

Just the sort of thing that would be ideal to remind the players to not relax too much
    I tell you what. The Donny players will be watching it and taking hope. They're going to come at us from the first whistle.
    Bring it on, lots of lovely open space to exploit up the other end when their attacks are stifled  ;).
  • RedChaser said:
    This result could even be a blessing for us

Bring it on, lots of lovely open space to exploit up the other end when their attacks are stifled  ;).
    Hope so! As long as we don't choke and try to play deep for 90  f... minutes!

• edited May 2019
    Well Andy as one of those 3000 at the cup game, I really hope to be singing 'Butler , Butler what's the score, Butler what's the score' just before you sink to your knees in despair on the hallowed Valley turf at the final whistle >:)
  • Not sure what we did to piss Doncaster off but they really do not seem to like us! 
  • Sponsored links:

6.15pm.
    Thanks
  • tgarrat1 said:
    Any news on the fitness of Igor?
    Or lack thereof.
  • SDAddick said:
    Look if any of you have slept since Sunday you're better people than I am.

How I think Bowyer will line up:
    .......................Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Sarr Purrington
    ...................Bielik Cullen
    ......................Aribo
    .................Taylor Parker

How I would line up:
    ................Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    ..............Bielik
    ......Cullen......Reeves
    ..............Aribo
    ...........Parker Taylor

I've been saying it for the past couple years, but I think that Pearce drops too deep and forces us to defend too deep/leave gaps between defense and midfield. But I think that Bowyer will start with him in a back three. 

In the team I would choose, it's tough between Reeves, Williams, and Morgan. Morgan has obviously shown himself to be very skillful. Williams, we know his class. And Reeves has quietly had quite a good season. I've gone with Reeves to 1) Let Aribo play in the 10 role, and 2) because he does an excellent job of helping us retain possession, and I think our best approach to this game is to stifle them with possession. He also can get stuck in and get into passing lanes. Going with Williams or Morgan also has their upside. I just hope we don't go with Pratley in there. With Bielik and Cullen we have enough defensive ability, and while Pratley has improved second half, he doesn't provide much in possession and slows things down drastically. And also, can get caught out of position.

Lastly, I think Bowyer would be dead wrong to drop Dijksteel for Solly. Dijksteel has been excellent for weeks. Solly has had a meandering season. Solly has traditionally played best when he has competition, which we haven't had enough of at RB in recent years. But right now, the shirt is Dijksteel's to lose. 
    I don't think Bowyer will do the same thing again with 5-3-2 / 3-5-2, but Donny will have to cater for that in their thinking.  So:

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Cullen Williams
    Aribo
    Taylor Parker
  • I have been quietly confident of late...

0-2. Taylor sent off.

All things are relative, as Albert used to say. This is Golfie being quietly confident!
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Well everyone expected Leeds to walk all over Derby!
    hopefully tonight’s result will help focus our minds for Friday 
    I'm not sure that's the case, Leeds have been terrible in recent weeks

Anyway the 2 Champions League semis will have been enough to stop any complacency before the second leg...
  • edited May 2019
    bobmunro said:
    I have been quietly confident of late...

0-2. Taylor sent off.

All things are relative, as Albert used to say. This is Golfie being quietly confident!
    Sorry .......it was meant to read that I have been quietly confident of late.......but not anymore. Having seen the 2 Championship play off games I'm now fearing the worst. We are due a defeat........
  • Say it enough times mate. You might start believing it soon.