Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moped gang jailed for string of robberies

13»

Comments

• Options
    This isn't the first moped gang to get done of course.

One of the previous gangs graduated to nicking TV cameras off TV crews and OB (outside broadcast) units. Famously they grabbed a Sky News camera while it was still on its tripod and wired to the links van, and drove up the Euston Road, seconds after it had been 'live' on air. Unfortunately the cable snapped preventing the pillion passenger being dragged off the moped.

They regularly threatened TV crews while they were out filming and took their cameras, and once opened the back doors of a female camera operator's van while she was in it, and made off with anything they could carry on the moped. They were only dealt with because a Panorama crew were interviewing the Metropolitan Police Commissioner and told him that their colleagues' equipment was stolen a few days before. He had it dealt with within a few weeks. It just takes manpower.

This particular gang were from a long established well known East London crime family.
    I'm not sure if anyone ever found out how they were fencing the camera gear, as there's a very limited market for broadcast TV cameras. It was thought they must have been shipped overseas.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I'm not sure if anyone ever found out how they were fencing the camera gear, as there's a very limited market for broadcast TV cameras. It was thought they must have been shipped overseas.
    There is always some shark who will buy these bits of high tec equipment and make use of them

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2019
    ....there's a great couple of documentaries on YouTube about moped gangs and drug gangs. In one, the police launch a raid on a gang dealing outside a row of shops, with seconds, the "local community" are out, pointing the finger at and arguing with the police.
    Then further down the line they will be the first to complain about lack of police in the area, or the lack of police action & arrests when one of their little cherubs gets stabbed by a rival drug dealing gang member.
    Police are damned if they do, damned if they don’t 

• Options
    Its about time they loaded police helicopter's with machine guns...that might shake them up a bit when being followed. 

That scum Vincents mother said last week, why didn't the old man just let him take everything, like other old men do...Yet there are people sticking up for this vermin.
  • Options
    The criminal justice system in this country needs to regain focus on the impact on the victims of crime. 

My girlfriend’s daughter was recently attacked by her boyfriend of 6 months. He stabbed her repeatedly with a pair of scissors and one wound was to the throat, just short of killing her.

The magistrate let the [insert swear word of choice] out on parole with a tag despite the police pushing for remand no parole.

As a result, she cannot sleep at home, her and her kids stayed at mine, well away from school for the first three weeks.

The near killer’s brief then stated that he would plead guilty to GBH (2-3 years) but not GBH with intent (8 to life I think). CPS said no and so he’s still out and about and will be until after full court hearing in late July. 

My my girlfriend has had to give up her job to be there as the kids need to be at school and the daughter cannot be at home by herself at night knowing that although he is tagged and has an exclusion zone, the police have said they cannot guarantee to get there in time.

Very clear he did it, very clear intent. 

He shouldn’t have seen any freedom after doing it. If he fails to plead guilty when he clearly is, he should have his sentence more than doubled. When he is inside, it should not be a hotel, it should be a punishment. 

I would recommend media blackout inside, prevent mobile coverage by signal blocking, no tv, learning new skills and hard work in study or labour rewarded by a decent reduction in sentence with high performers in certain skills getting decent reductions off their sentence.

Magistrates and judges need to get better at sentencing for the overall gravity of the crime’s impact on the victims, the likelihood of repeat offence and then parole boards need to get better at reducing the sentence for both real contrition, the way the inmate has dealt with rehab and the likely reduction in repeat offence. The bar to reach for sentence reduction should be much higher an better assessed than it is.

I firmly believe that despite an initial increase in costs to deliver this, the ongoing reduction in crime (maybe not from this nutter who must have some health issues and maybe needs additional medical supervision to permit early release) will outweigh the initial costs significantly. 

Cutting short term costs is a route to increasing costs over the next 10 to 20 years. 

• Options
    ....there's a great couple of documentaries on YouTube about moped gangs and drug gangs. In one, the police launch a raid on a gang dealing outside a row of shops, with seconds, the "local community" are out, pointing the finger at and arguing with the police.
    Yep and their mums and dads sticking up for the little .....

Theres the root of it.
    Exactly , you know it prolly starts at a young age that these kids are acting up .

im pretty sure, unfortunately,  plenty of parents won’t have a bad word said against their Johnny even though he’s a little runt
    and it’ll start from there where no boundaries , respect or discipline is given 
    to a certain extent I think it’s everywhere , you only have to look at some of the pricks your kids go to school and play outside school sports with and against
    With 4 young boys I’m probably over the top the other way and all over bad behaviour like a rash 
    my old man wasn’t about much but I knew if I mucked about and mum told dad I was in shit street 
    this is why I’m a hermit , I hate people (bad generalisation but you know what I mean )