Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ADVICE NEEDED

Comments

• Options
    Take her for a Wimpy and throw in a knickerbocker glory.
    That should sort it.
    Knickerbocker glory? Didn’t have you down as a romantic mate. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Is this friend of yours a football fan?
    If so contact him and explain your predicament.....if he’s any sort of a mate I’m sure he will understand.
    Anyway, your wife is going so your connection will be made.
    I suspect what she’s feeling uncomfortable about is continually having to explain your absence to various friends and acquaintances. 
  • Options
    If so contact him and explain your predicament.....if he’s any sort of a mate I’m sure he will understand.
    I suspect what she’s feeling uncomfortable about is continually having to explain your absence to various acquaintances. 
    Spot on @So@"SoundAsa£", I think its just having to give out explanations etc. I could imagine her and ger friends will have a right bitch up about me. But will all be worth the agg and constant nagging if we get there. I missed '98 as I was 10 at the time and had to attend a family wedding then. Now 30 years old and definitely not missing out on this one.
  • Options
    I suspect what she’s feeling uncomfortable about is continually having to explain your absence to various acquaintances. 
    Spot on @So@"SoundAsa£", I think its just having to give out explanations etc. I could imagine her and ger friends will have a right bitch up about me. But will all be worth the agg and constant nagging if we get there. I missed '98 as I was 10 at the time and had to attend a family wedding then. Now 30 years old and definitely not missing out on this one.
    I went to the full members and the play off final and there is no way I would miss this, if we get there, maybe the birth of my own child but I wouldn't even go to my own wedding if it ment missing Charlton at Wembley.  May be the charity shield after back to back league titles? 
  • Options
    Morning chaps. She wasn't as bad as you would of expected. I think because it hasn't been finalised yet she is waiting til Saturday morning to erupt if we get through. But at the moment she is just saying ok we will see on Friday night and see if you can get through first. I think this is the calm before the storm...
    Sounds like there could be another twist to this tale...get her a little more excited about the playoff game by getting her to watch it too...she may even fancy that little trip of a lifetime to Wembley also...if it happens of course...🤞🏻
  • Options
    That should sort it.
    I was going to add " and a quick fingering at the bus stop" but thought that might get me in trouble.
  • Options
    That should sort it.
    I was going to add " and a quick fingering at the bus stop" but thought that might get me in trouble.
    Depends if there's anyone else at the bus stop  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    Based on my understanding that she doesn't yet know that she's going to New York:

IF we manage to squeeze through on Friday, conversation on Saturday morning should be as follows - 

"I'm not missing the game. I understand you're upset, but I'm not willing to negotiate and I don't want to argue about it because, whatever you say to me, I'm definitely going to Wembley. 

However, I know you're disappointed, and I don't want you to feel sad or angry at me, so as soon as the game finished last night, I got onto British Airway's website and booked us a nice little trip to New York to make it up to you."

Then you slap the booking confirmation your old boy down on the table (don't forget to amend the times and dates on the email to show 11.30pm on Friday night rather than when you actually booked them). 

You're happy, she's happy, it's not cost you a penny that you weren't spending anyway.
    EFA
  • Options
    She is still insisting that we are going to the wedding with my protestations falling on deaf ears. I went to the pub after I heard these words: "I hope Doncaster win on Friday now". 
    Mate, will you do us all one small favour seeing as we're all seriously invested in this now? However it all turns out, will you promise us that you'll show her this thread and post a pic of her reading it??? 
  • Options
    Will keep you guys in the loop...

I think I'd be six feet under if she even read any of this  :D
    Ah now we're getting down to the real nitty gritty of who wears the trousers  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will keep you guys in the loop...

I think I'd be six feet under if she even read any of this  :D
    imagine the mrs thinking you took relationship advice from here. so far you have been advised to shag her sister, post pictures of her sister and dump her and that is just by me!
    Like someone has already stated on here @c@cafcdave123 have you ever thought about being a counsellor or working for the Samaritans?
    Would interfere too much with his full time job of being "Dear Deirdre" in Hello and Okay Magazines!!
  • Options
    Cant you just go in the evening,chances are if you are not that close a friend they wont miss you anyway,think you have to man up here.
  • Options
    Cant you just go in the evening,chances are if you are not that close a friend they wont miss you anyway,think you have to man up here.

And win or lose, turn up absolutely w*nk***d and be a complete pain all night.
  • Options
    I think we should do the honourable thing and kidnap CharltonLad 88.
  • Options
    The game is on a Sunday? Who gets married on a Sunday?
    It's a bank holiday though so Monday is off, so it's no different to a saturday on a normal weekend really.
  • Options
    Does remind me when my Sister got married in 2010 though

They knew my Charlton support was going to be an issue so got from me a list of dates when Charlton were at home so they knew which games to avoid - they then of course booked the Wedding on the weekend of the Leeds United game @ the Valley ... 1-0 win when Randolph made that cracking save at the end and so kept us in touch with the automatic spots

Because they'd asked me dates and then booked on a Charlton home day I point blankly refused to attend the wedding so they were forced to move it a week - Got grief about it in the lead up to the wedding even got a snide remark in the Speeches

Have always had the last laugh though as the original day of the wedding was bloody awful in terms of weather; the day that it was moved to (Exeter away) saw beautiful sunshine, the day doesnt get mentioned anymore because when it would be brought up I'd always remind them that it was thanks to me they had the nice day
    This is incredible.

Your sister had to rearrange her wedding so that you wouldn't miss Charlton v Leeds!!
  • Options
    I've thought about this log and hard (I generally post when I'm sat on the can) 

You need to stand up for yourself here mate whatever the cost. Worst case scenario this is the beginning if the end or the end of the end. Lots of brave posters saying bin her off etc but it isn't like that is it

Listen to mr largo, book up a long weekend in New York or Milan and put your foot down tempered with a treat. If she is honest with herself she will acknowledge she is pissed off at the thought of having to explain your absence, anyone with a soul will understand however you need to empathise that bit. Second off, this isn't a direct family wedding so it is already far lower down your list that a game that still may not happen, offer to stick an extra 100 quid in the card from both of you and a note 

Let's also remember it is still well within Charlton Athletic to fuck this up 
  • Options
    We know our own wives and girlfriends and of course they will react differently, but this is how I would play it. The Wembley issue should be left until after the game on Friday. Before it, tomorrow or Thursday, tell her about New York. Don't change any dates, you don't want her to think you have bought it to go to Wembley. Tell her you bought it because you love her. Then you will have a few days at least when you can do no wrong - use that to broach the wedding subject.

It may not work, but give her a chance to let you go before you you tell her you are going. 
  • Options
    We know our own wives and girlfriends and of course they will react differently, but this is how I would play it. The Wembley issue should be left until after the game on Friday. Before it, tomorrow or Thursday, tell her about New York. Don't change any dates, you don't want her to think you have bought it to go to Wembley. Tell her you bought it because you love her. Then you will have a few days at least when you can do no wrong - use that to broach the wedding subject.

It may not work, but give her a chance to let you go before you you tell her you are going. 
    And if she says you're still not going, then tell her New York is cancelled and you're going on a 5 day binge to Ibiza instead........