Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ADVICE NEEDED

Comments

• The game is on a Sunday? Who gets married on a Sunday?

We did. But we did go to the home match the day before together.
  • The game is on a Sunday? Who gets married on a Sunday?

We did. But we did go to the home match the day before together.
    I’ll let you two off.
  • Several people at the top of the thread asking if you're wife is normally one to compromise. I think it's a very good question, but maybe not for the reasons they think:

If you're wife is a natural compromiser, then I'm sure she'll be sweet and understanding and you'll have nothing to worry about. If you're wife isn't a natural compromiser, then you need to stop being a doormat and start being more assertive. It's time to do what you want for a change.

Compromise on the less important things. Sorry folks but Charlton at Wembley is too important. It's a one-off, and it could be decades - if it ever happens again. 

• Does your missus get how big a deal the playoff final is? If she mistakenly thinks it’s just another match then that might be your problem and you can probably explain that you’ll probably get (on average) four chances to see Charlton at Wembley and you clearly can’t miss 25% of those opportunities for a wedding of someone else’s friend. 

If she does realise how important the playoffs are, and she does realise how much you love Charlton then you should be seriously concerned that she cares so little about your priorities that she would expect you to accompany her to one of her (not even very close) friends weddings.
  • Go to either the wedding or the reception. Whichever the match time/duration allows. 
  • clb74 said:
    Right Lifers I am in a bit of a pickle...

The date of the Play Off final coincides with a wedding for one of my Missus's friends. Not majorly close friends by a long shot but chummy all the same.

We've been together for a couple of years and I've let her know for ages that the Play Off final is this day. Just so I could get it in early doors. She's having none of it though and said I HAVE to be at this wedding.

IF indeed we do get to the Final, what the hell do I say or do to get out of this wedding!?

I've already said to take her sister who's also friendly with them to go with her in my place.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    Wedding comes first mateIt most certainly doesn't... need to be firm on this one. I'm at my Mrs granddads 90th up in Huddersfield and will be flying straight in for the game
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks for all the advice Chaps. I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet and go to the Play Off Final (obviously IF we indeed get there).

The agg will all be worth it when Lyle bags a hat trick at Wembley  ;)

Wish me luck letting the Missus know. I'm feeling confident atm. We will see come by 6pm when I get home and it quickly evaporates.
    Sleeping on the Sofa after a few days isnt that bad either

Am sure you wouldnt be the first Lifer to be relegated to that at night - Just make sure you've got a duvet or something to cover yourself as can get damned cold at night

P.S. You'll have to let us know how the Wedding goes ;)
  • Thanks for all the advice Chaps. I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet and go to the Play Off Final (obviously IF we indeed get there).

Wish me luck letting the Missus know. I'm feeling confident atm. We will see come by 6pm when I get home and it quickly evaporates.
    See you down the pub at 18.05
  • Sponsored links:

• The NY trip should definitely swing this in your favour, but good luck! On a related note, my wife decided to book a surprise weekend away in Cork for my birthday - except its not so much of a surprise as she couldn't keep it a secret. The only issue...its Bank Holiday w/e. So, I'll be watching the final in the pub, if we get there. Not ideal, but will be a top weekend. COYA!
  • Thanks for all the advice Chaps. I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet and go to the Play Off Final (obviously IF we indeed get there).

Yeah, go for it.

If the worst happens, you can always resurrect your wa****g career.

• Do what I used to do for birthdays / Christmas etc.,  trial separation 
  • Ok,

so if someone you knew was getting married (not a mate mate, but say a work colleague) and your missus had a last minute chance to go to a one off Take That concert or an ABBA reunion show or an [insert anything of interest to her] would she want to go to the wedding or the event?
  • _MrDick said:
    Right Lifers I am in a bit of a pickle...

The date of the Play Off final coincides with a wedding for one of my Missus's friends. Not majorly close friends by a long shot but chummy all the same.

We've been together for a couple of years and I've let her know for ages that the Play Off final is this day. Just so I could get it in early doors. She's having none of it though and said I HAVE to be at this wedding.

IF indeed we do get to the Final, what the hell do I say or do to get out of this wedding!?

I've already said to take her sister who's also friendly with them to go with her in my place.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    I got the same predicament... the missus wants me to go to the Kent Garden Show in Maidstone. But I think I might get away with not going to that ... for a price  
    It's a 2 day show
  • Oh for goodness sake, why make trouble for yourself? We've not even qualified for Wembley yet! Personally I don't think this is as cut and dried as a lot here are making out - yeah you can put your foot down about this and insist on going, but if she feels like you've deserted her at a big social event, you could be storing up a lot of long term grief for yourself. From her point of view, you're signalling to her friends that she's less important to you than some football match, not realising this is a "once in 20 years" thing. This needs careful negotiation, and a lot is going to depend on location and timing as to whether you can work out a compromise solution
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2019
    MrLargo said:
    I don't like this. I don't like the feeling that one of our family is getting some intensive earache from his missus.

Oh mighty Lord, if you do actually exist - and it's quite hard to believe that you do what with Liverpool and Spurs both being in the Champions League Final - please could you prove your existence by safely delivering Charlton to the play-off final, and delivering our brother CharltonLad88 to Wembley to watch that play off final. Also, if you're not too busy at the moment, there is a man in Belgium and also some people involved in the running of SouthEastern Trains who you might want to send downstairs to the "hot room". Inbox me for more details.

Amen.
    YOUUUU CALLED? - Oh sorry didnt see you asked for me to inbox you, my bad!!... too many "trivial" requests at times
  • MrLargo said:
    I don't like this. I don't like the feeling that one of our family is getting some intensive earache from his missus.

Oh mighty Lord, if you do actually exist - and it's quite hard to believe that you do what with Liverpool and Spurs both being in the Champions League Final - please could you prove your existence by safely delivering Charlton to the play-off final, and delivering our brother CharltonLad88 to Wembley to watch that play off final. Also, if you're not too busy at the moment, there is a man in Belgium and also some people involved in the running of SouthEastern Trains who you might want to send downstairs to the "hot room". Inbox me for more details.

Amen.
    YOUUUU CALLED? - Oh sorry didnt see you asked for me to inbox you, my bad!!... too many "trivial" requests at times
    Sending Roland to burn in Hell for the rest of eternity is NOT trivial.
  • I cant believe anybody told you t go to the wedding! wtf
  • Right Lifers I am in a bit of a pickle...

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    I've not read the whole thread, so I may well be repeating what someone else has said(?).

You gave your missus plenty of notice about this and now she's playing the 'under the thumb, do as you're told' card! It bodes so badly for the future my friend!

All she is thinking about is herself and how she'll look if she ends up going to this wedding (totally overrated) on her own! Despite what you've told her, she simply doesn't grasp your attachment and affinity with this wonderful club, and what it means to you to be at Wembley. If that's her attitude now, she'll simply get a lot worse as time passes by. 

She's clearly not right for you if she is so intransigent and one sided in her views. If she genuinely can't see what being at Wembley would mean to you, she clearly doesn't give a nun's habit about your personal wellbeing and happiness!

Get rid mate, she'll be even more of a control freak as time goes on. It'll be hard to start with, but in the long term you'll very quickly see you've done the right thing.

Sorry, in this instance, and on this one off occasion, Charlton has to come first. Her mate will be divorced in 3 years time anyway, so it's a total waste of time going. CAFC.
  • Sounds like you lost this one a long time ago, mate, and the damage is done.  Rules are rules - my missus knows that, if Charlton are at home, in the cup or on the telly, then that comes first.  Birthdays, anniversaries, whatever. As she puts it, she knew who she was marrying.
  • In the first week of dating my Mrs, I told her the only rule I had was never to try & stop me going to football.

Then Roland F***ed the club up & I stopped going of my own accord!!! 

God I hate that guy!!!
  • How was your night on the streets @CharltonLad88?