Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ADVICE NEEDED

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    clb74 said:
    Does remind me when my Sister got married in 2010 though

They knew my Charlton support was going to be an issue so got from me a list of dates when Charlton were at home so they knew which games to avoid - they then of course booked the Wedding on the weekend of the Leeds United game @ the Valley ... 1-0 win when Randolph made that cracking save at the end and so kept us in touch with the automatic spots

Because they'd asked me dates and then booked on a Charlton home day I point blankly refused to attend the wedding so they were forced to move it a week - Got grief about it in the lead up to the wedding even got a snide remark in the Speeches

Have always had the last laugh though as the original day of the wedding was bloody awful in terms of weather; the day that it was moved to (Exeter away) saw beautiful sunshine, the day doesnt get mentioned anymore because when it would be brought up I'd always remind them that it was thanks to me they had the nice day
    Your sister had to run t her wedding dates through you.
    Your having a laugh.
    Nope that is a 100% genuine story

Correction though, she didnt have to check with me, she chose to...

She then deliberately went and booked on a home game when she knew there was one so for me it she was booking on that date out of spite; had she booked her wedding with no knowledge of Charlton being at home I wouldnt have had issue

i.e. I've missed games over the last few seasons (three this year alone) due to being on my Honeymoon, and have skipped games to take my wife up to work conferences whilst I've spent the day sitting in the car so am not the "selfish monster" I was nine years ago
    Wait a sec. 

You refused to go to your sister's wedding because it clashed with a Charlton game.  And yet you went on honeymoon and missed Charlton games?  

Isn't that a bit... inconsistent? 
    He also said he is 9 years older now so looks at things differently.

Had we finished 5th instead of third I would have had a similar dilemma on Saturday as it was my brother in law's 60th birthday party. Attend our home match or go to the party? Not as drastic as a decision re Wembley I admit.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Chizz said:
    clb74 said:
    Does remind me when my Sister got married in 2010 though

They knew my Charlton support was going to be an issue so got from me a list of dates when Charlton were at home so they knew which games to avoid - they then of course booked the Wedding on the weekend of the Leeds United game @ the Valley ... 1-0 win when Randolph made that cracking save at the end and so kept us in touch with the automatic spots

Because they'd asked me dates and then booked on a Charlton home day I point blankly refused to attend the wedding so they were forced to move it a week - Got grief about it in the lead up to the wedding even got a snide remark in the Speeches

Have always had the last laugh though as the original day of the wedding was bloody awful in terms of weather; the day that it was moved to (Exeter away) saw beautiful sunshine, the day doesnt get mentioned anymore because when it would be brought up I'd always remind them that it was thanks to me they had the nice day
    Your sister had to run t her wedding dates through you.
    Your having a laugh.
    Nope that is a 100% genuine story

Correction though, she didnt have to check with me, she chose to...

She then deliberately went and booked on a home game when she knew there was one so for me it she was booking on that date out of spite; had she booked her wedding with no knowledge of Charlton being at home I wouldnt have had issue

i.e. I've missed games over the last few seasons (three this year alone) due to being on my Honeymoon, and have skipped games to take my wife up to work conferences whilst I've spent the day sitting in the car so am not the "selfish monster" I was nine years ago
    Wait a sec. 

You refused to go to your sister's wedding because it clashed with a Charlton game.  And yet you went on honeymoon and missed Charlton games?  

Isn't that a bit... inconsistent? 
    The difference being is the fact I was an idiot and didnt work out the dates properly

For some reason I thought the season would start later that August (2016) so booked the wedding and honeymoon long before the fixture list came out for that season; in the end knew it would either be a case of the first Home Game being the day after my wedding (Yes I'd have gone) or when I was away (which is what actually happened)

Because it was genuine error on my part I had no problem with skipping the Charlton game

Had my sister just gone ahead and picked a date herself then I'd have had the same approach and would have missed the Leeds game - Instead she came to me and said: "When are Charlton playing at home so we can work round it" (Wedding was arranged quite quickly, not due to any kids and that season was well underway), the fact she did that for me was done out of spite rather than being an accident
  • Options
    I'd definitely go. And expect her to understand given everything you've said above. 
  • Options
    sounds like they are only getting married because he got her pregnant, it'll never last so fuck it off and go to Wembley 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Are you a season ticket holder who has been going all season or just going to a couple games here and there? Not that it makes you more or less of a fan in my eyes but it would strengthen your claim to be able to go to final, it's the conclusion of what you've been going to week in week out!

Does your girlfriend have a lot of other friends there or will you be the only person she knows? If she knows a lot of people there I think that you not being there is nowhere near as much of a big deal. 
    Season ticket holder and she has loads of friends there going. Its all her friends. I'm just the other half.
     You just answered the question yourself.

If she makes a fuss about you going to the game instead of the wedding, point out to her that you wouldn’t insist she comes to Wembley instead of going to the wedding. 
  • Options
    @Covered End

That is a Churchillian speech! All correct though. The bride and groom won't even notice you're not there. We serve our penance of spending year after year watching miserable home defeats to Oldham, travelling up to Huddersfield to see us get spanked 56-0, etc, in the hope that one day we'll get to taste a little bit of glory. If we don't cock it up on Friday, then we're going to get one of those special days that come along far too rarely.

You should be there. And your missus should give you her blessing. If the shoe was on the other foot, and you're missus had the chance to do something that she'd always wanted to do on the date of your best mate's wedding, I'm sure you wouldn't think twice about giving her a pass from the wedding. If it's feasible to go along for the evening bit then that's a fair compromise, otherwise you could promise to take the newlyweds out for dinner at a later date. But regardless of that, if we get to Wembley, then you should get to Wembley.

*I'm single. Bear that in mind when you're considering this advice!

• Options
    It’s it’s your wife’s friend not yours . Go to the final ..... but then that’s why I’m single and always getting elbowed. 
  • Options
    Suggest that you go and spend an evening sometime with the newlyweds. You could offer to spend the day with them and then babysit in the evening to let them go out together (assuming the christening was their child). 
    This shows that you are not completely dismissing them (and your other half) in favour of ‘just a football match’. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    In 20 years time, which are you more likely to reminisce over - going to Wembley to watch Charlton in a Play Off Final, or her mate’s wedding? 
    Tbh,I think she should cut you a bit of slack on this. She can still go to the wedding. You’re not dragging her somewhere she doesn’t want to go, when she would rather be somewhere else for something important to her, are you? So, with respect, why should she do that to you?
     :) Good luck.

( btw my divorce was like the Second World War! But fewer tanks  :| )

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you should miss the wedding, should we make it.

I'm an usher at one of my best mate's weddings on the same day, and I'm torn at the minute.
  • Options
    Funny thing is this year its her 30th and meant to be taking her away to New York as a surprise trip. Seriously contemplating wtf I'm actually doing even thinking about going to this wedding!!
  • Options
    Funny thing is this year its her 30th and meant to be taking her away to New York as a surprise trip. Seriously contemplating wtf I'm actually doing even thinking about going to this wedding!!
    Cool so you've got two options

(1) if she lets you go to Wembley you can take her to New York as a surprise

(2) if she insists on going to the Wedding claim your going on a work trip for a few days and go to Vegas with a few mates
  • Options
    We normally go abroad at half term but fortunately the friends that normally look after the dog are going away themselves so no disagreements. I would have resisted going away this year as I thought a Wembley final was a real possibility if we didn't go up automatically. 
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    I think you should miss the wedding, should we make it.

I'm an usher at one of my best mate's weddings on the same day, and I'm torn at the minute.
    If you were the best man or the groom, you should go to the wedding (although what sort of groom organises his wedding on the Play-Off Final day his best man's team might be at), as just an usher it's a no brainer.
  • Options
    You've already compromised by missing Donny away. That's 1-0 to your missus. Wembley will be the equaliser. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I don't want to cause a relationship breakdown, but i'd go to the football.

Get her to go with her sister , matches like this don't come around very often, and will you really see a lot of this person (the one getting married) in the future?

I was gutted yesterday to not go to the match , but i also had a christening to go to , i did however sneak out the back whilst prayers were being said near the end of the service and people had their eyes closed, so i could get back home to watch the match on telly.....

By the way we are very much counting those chickens, still got to navigate Friday night match!
  • Options
    21 years since our last opportunity to go to Wembley IF we get there.

Doesn't happen often.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'd say you're going to Wembley...then tell her you're taking her to NYC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get a friend to phone you at home (when you know the missus will be there) and pretend to be Lee Bowyer, thanking you for your support at this really important time and wishing you all the best for our trip to Wembley. 

• Options
    My wife would go apeshit if I gave her this dilemma but I would dearly hope she understood 

Unless it was direct family members getting married I'd be at Wembley.  

Although this is Charlton and it is well within our gift to nause it up from here

Have you been boycotting? If so that adds a fly to the ointment 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    My wife would go apeshit if I gave her this dilemma but I would dearly hope she understood 

Unless it was direct family members getting married I'd be at Wembley.  

Although this is Charlton and it is well within our gift to nause it up from here

Have you been boycotting? If so that adds a fly to the ointment 
    Nope he's a season ticket holder
  • Options
    The game is on a Sunday? Who gets married on a Sunday?
  • Options
    The game is on a Sunday? Who gets married on a Sunday?
    Would make me smile if after all this that they've arguing over the wrong date