Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Disappointing to concede but we'd have taken that at kick off.

Unbeaten at home in 7 months and in front of a full house at the Valley we'll finish the job.

Can't imagine too many Doncaster fans will be rushing out to be buy 2nd leg tickets after that as well so think they'll have 1400 max.
    How many times have we seen teams in that situation & come a cropper ? It ain't won until it's won
  • Options
    The vegetarian offering was surprisingly a cheese and onion pie

Gave it a miss.

Early start and hungry so we needed that win to compensate!

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I also disagree with Blair's comments... He's talking like its 2-2

They dont just need a result against us at the Valley but need to score by two clear goals

Shrewsbury last season were the last team to manage that in SE7
    0-1 is potentially enough for them
  • Options
    Disappointing to concede but we'd have taken that at kick off.

Unbeaten at home in 7 months and in front of a full house at the Valley we'll finish the job.

Can't imagine too many Doncaster fans will be rushing out to be buy 2nd leg tickets after that as well so think they'll have 1400 max.
    How many times have we seen teams in that situation & come a cropper ? It ain't won until it's won
    Absolutely, but in Lord Bowyer and Sir JJ we trust. 
  • Options
    Quality job done by all. Superb performance from players, management and fans. Great day out. Donny needed to win today in my opinion if they wanted to get to Wembley. 

Early goal on Friday hopefully. Its got to happen now, surely!!!!!
  • Options
    The problem for Lee Bowyer was he doesn't have faith in Williams and Reeves when we play away and don't have the ball. 
    It did seem negative but he couldn't gamble and risk a 2-2. I will be amazed if Reeves and Williams don't get game time at home.
    We are a striker light.

• Options
    Watched on line and missed both goals due to IT melt down. Don't think we really got out of 2nd gear. They did us a favour by scoring. Removes the risk of complacency on Friday. 

I hate to be positive but I think we might hammer them at the Valley and how I wish I could be there with the rest of the Grumpy clan. 

It will be rocking. 
  • Options
    We looked good with two up top but can’t understand why we went all defensive bringing on Pearce for Parker who ran his heart out. Cruising at 0-2 and should have gone on to score more. Glad I was there. Great noise from our support, whisper quiet fro their fans. We look a class above them. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    TEL said:
    We looked good with two up top but can’t understand why we went all defensive bringing on Pearce for Parker who ran his heart out. Cruising at 0-2 and should have gone on to score more. Glad I was there. Great noise from our support, whisper quiet fro their fans. We look a class above them. 
    Parker had cramp though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our support looked and sounded fantastic from my seat in the East Stand....well done to the lot of you, you did us proud.
    Unquestionably out sung Donny.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Decent result. We look so much better than the last two or three seasons. We've improved massively under Bowyer. And our fans sound amazing, too! 

That said, I was relieved we kept the lead in the end. We must be careful as it's only a one-goal lead as you see from the recent CL semi-finals that anything can happen! I'll have to get up at 2.45am to watch the home leg match and fingers crossed it'll be worth it.
    @jessieaddick if we make it to Wembley, can you get over here?  I’m pretty sure there’ll be no shortage of people willing to put you up so you’d only need to get your flight together. 
    Thanks! Unfortunately we now have very strict rules on overseas trips here in the bank I work for. Usually it takes two to three months to authorise an overseas trip for employees so we have to apply for it at least two months beforehand..... :cry:
    Jessie, let me introduce you to an old South London proverb* - "you don't ask, you don't get". I know the chances are it won't get authorised, but it's got to be worth a try. While it's not "last visit to sick Granny" levels of importance, it's a sufficiently rare occurence that you might get more leeway than if it was just for a regularly scheduled holiday.

* ok, so technically it's more a saying of my Nan's but allow me a little poetic licence here
    He’s right, though. If we get to Wembley, you’ve got to at least ask, @jessieaddick
  • Options
    Donny might be the happier changing room after the last goal, but in the morning when they realise they are a goal down and visiting fortress valley, they won't be so happy. Bring on Friday!
  • Options
    Our support looked and sounded fantastic from my seat in the East Stand....well done to the lot of you, you did us proud.
    To be fair,  we usually outsing the home fans at just about all away matches!
  • Options
    Lovely to meet you this morning. You looked very dapper! Hope the hospitality was ģood and they weren't too miffed that we outplayed and outsang them?
  • Options
    The problem for Lee Bowyer was he doesn't have faith in Williams and Reeves when we play away and don't have the ball. 
    It did seem negative but he couldn't gamble and risk a 2-2. I will be amazed if Reeves and Williams don't get game time at home.
    We are a striker light.

Nah I think our best midfield started today, albeit one of them started in defence.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

Wheatleyrover is a w@nker, is a w@nker. 
    It's the classic comment when you've lost and been outsung.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

They dont just need a result against us at the Valley but need to score by two clear goals

When was the last time we didn’t score at The Valley in the league ? They will need to get more than one to get through .
  • Options
    Haven’t seen it back yet but how did Cullen not get a pen in the second half?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

When was the last time we didn’t score at The Valley in the league ? They will need to get more than one to get through .
    Twas 0-0 at home v Blackpool in February.

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Great performance while we had 2 up front. Predictably poor with 1 up front. I hate how we go into 'shit mode' when we're winning - it means only one team is likely to score. BUT, the good outweighed the bad and we will surely finish the job!
    Yeah thought Pratley was brought on too early. Morgan wasn't as brilliant today as he has been but Pratley really slows momentum. Felt the same about the Pearce substitution. But it seemed Parker was struggling and it was basically bring on Pearce or a midfielder. The early substitution of Morgan kind of forced Bowyer's hand (given we don't have a striker on the bench). So we invited them on to us for half an hour and they got one back.

Still, good result. Very good result. Never really had to get out of third gear. We are capable of much better but we did the job away from home. Friday night will be rocking.

Hope Parker hasn't picked up anything serious. He's not the best footballer on the planet but provides a very good foil for Taylor and had a goal wrongfully chalked off. 
    Really? I thought Albie was immense!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Quality performance, the goal conceded is a bit of a stinker but before the game we all would have taken a one goal lead so it will do.

Two ways of looking at Bowyers sub, personally I would have liked to see Aribo come off, immense as he was (joint motm with Cullen) he looked knackered from about 70 mins onwards. A good sub would have been Williams for Aribo imo, imagine your Donny and Aribo comes off and you think 'well we are glad he is off', then another little magician comes on. Think bringing on too many defensive players sends out the wrong message and gives the other team that hope that we have settled. Same light though if Bowyer does make that like for like change then it ends up 2-2 we would all ask why no defensive players. So all in all I am just happy we got out of there with the win and not being biased, at our best, we are comfortably the better side.

Up to the lads to get us to Wembley now,who wants it more and all that.

Fantastic support from us all, my voice kills and my ears were ringing waking back to the car
  • Options
    Foul for their goal too. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Haven’t seen it back yet but how did Cullen not get a pen in the second half?
    Personally thought it was a dive/went over very easily, didn’t think it was a pen. 
    I thought Cullen was shoved.

And if so, it would have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch.