Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton | Sun 12 May | 12:15pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options

Keep up the good work in the championship for us next season FA.

2-0 Charlton

• Options

Unlike the Sky Bet Championship, the League One play-offs do not historically favour those who finish as the 'top seed' in 3rd.

Using the same criteria (the 14 seasons of the current division structure), the 3rd-placed team have only been promoted on four occasions.

The best position to finish in seems to be fourth, which will be good news for Portsmouth supporters. The fourth-placed team have gone up five times, most recently being Rotherham in the 2017/18 season.

Bad news for Sunderland, the play-offs don't favour those who finish fifth. Only two teams who have ended in that position have been promoted to the Championship, and those teams were Sheffield Wednesday in 2005 and Barnsley in 2006.

Doncaster are the outsiders but recent history has shown how those who end in sixth can finish as the winners. Millwall (2017) and Barnsley (2016) are two teams who have finished the lowest of the four sides but earned their spot in the Championship.

They also join Scunthorpe in 2009 as being the sixth-placed teams who would end up promoted.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cd44192293f5/sporting-lifes-efl-play-off-preview

• Options
    2015 (Preston) were the last team to be promoted from third
  • Options
    0-1Charlton.

A scrappy win which will put us in a healthy position for the second leg. 
  • Options
    As I’ve said many a time, Bowyer teams turn up on the occasion.  Don’t fear the big support or the TV cameras.

0-2 Cullen and Taylor
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Unlike the Sky Bet Championship, the League One play-offs do not historically favour those who finish as the 'top seed' in 3rd.

Using the same criteria (the 14 seasons of the current division structure), the 3rd-placed team have only been promoted on four occasions.

The best position to finish in seems to be fourth, which will be good news for Portsmouth supporters. The fourth-placed team have gone up five times, most recently being Rotherham in the 2017/18 season.

Bad news for Sunderland, the play-offs don't favour those who finish fifth. Only two teams who have ended in that position have been promoted to the Championship, and those teams were Sheffield Wednesday in 2005 and Barnsley in 2006.

Doncaster are the outsiders but recent history has shown how those who end in sixth can finish as the winners. Millwall (2017) and Barnsley (2016) are two teams who have finished the lowest of the four sides but earned their spot in the Championship.

They also join Scunthorpe in 2009 as being the sixth-placed teams who would end up promoted.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cd44192293f5/sporting-lifes-efl-play-off-preview

Cheers Ross but history means nothing, its a one off and all about here and now. We are the team on form and to beat IMO up the addicks!
  • Options
    No away goals rule, right?
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    No away goals rule, right?
    Nope
  • Options
    1-1. Doncaster to score first. Why do I think it’s going to go horribly wrong though? I’m already nervous at the thought of Sunday. Buckle up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can’t even think about Sunday’s game without getting nervous.
  • Options
    No one’s called it Operation Keepmoat so... 2-1 us
  • Options
    Nice convincing win 3-1.
  • Options
    Great preview again FA, always spot on. I think they will coming flying out of the traps for the first 20mins. But over the 90 mins i think we can nick a win  0-1. As always the travelling support we be vital to spur the boys on. I got my ticket, train is booked! I CAN HARDLY WAIT!     Sunderland at Wembley!   COYRS!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks as always FA.  Much appreciated.

You mention the Ipswich game and by coincidence I was reading about it last night in Matthew Eastley’s “Charlton Athletic On This Day”

Wednesday, 13 May 1998

On a memorable night at a highly-charged Valley, Charlton beat Ipswich Town 1-0 in the second leg of the play-off semi final to clinch a place against Sunderland at Wembley.  On 36 minutes, Shaun Newton skipped past a couple of Town defenders and then let rip with an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box which whistled past Richard Wright.  Boss Alan Curbishley said: “This is the culmination of ten years of concerted effort”.
  • Options
    Forgot to do this on Saturday, but @ForeverAddickted , thank you so much for your match previews. They're always a highlight of me week. And just in general, I love all your footy contributions.
  • Options
    1-1. 

The thing that has me most confident this year is our home form - even if we lose on Sunday we'll still have a second home leg, an evening in front of a packed Valley crowd
    This is kind of my thinking as well. The Valley is going to be rocking on Friday. 

Something I feel has gotten overlooked is how much more balanced we look with Dijksteel as an attacking fullback on the right. His crossing isn't the best, but he's good technically and provides width there which stretches defenses. It has been part of what makes our entire attack look more balanced.

I suspect Bowyer will be very tempted to play Aribo as a 10/attacker. It could mean going 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1, or bringing someone into the side on the left of the diamond. I just hope it's not Pratley and Bowyer doesn't try to shut up shop. We've been dominating possession and games of late. Go at them. 
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
    If you'd have said anything else, it would have been a portent of doom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

So the 3rd placed team has won 4 times, the 6th 3 times.
  • Options

But how many of those times has the third-placed team had a 15 points, and 15 goals, advantage over the sixth-placed team? 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm getting nervous just reading the thread and I'll be over 6000 miles away! Hopefully I will pick up the Sky coverage without too much buffering through my Android box.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    We need to win the first game.
    If we find ourselves going to the home leg needing a win, I've got a feeling they will be able to frustrate us in front of expectant agitated home crowd.
    Watching the away game from Israel during independence day BBQ, I will be doing my best to muster a good turn out of bewildered kibbutznicks  around my Tablet .
    Perhaps by talking up the exotic appeal of both clubs as well as the 1947 connection, namely: The last great achievement of both this peaceful neutral country and CAFC!!! (what's 1 year between colonials...)

Will be flying back to Aus during the home game.
    We've never lost a game when I was high...
    who has..?

1:0  Addicks

C.O.Y.R
  • Options
    ross1 said:

How many of those 3rd place teams that didn’t get promotion finished the last day of the season just missing out on the automatic spot or were not the form team ?
  • Options

Narrow win Sunday (probably 1-0)

They won't know what hit 'em next Friday...........................

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Our abandoned game with Doncaster in 13/14 lost them 3 points, they were 3-1 up when it was called off.  They would not have been relegated if they won this game.

This will be pay back time for them.