Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Preseason Friendlies 2019

Comments

• I wonder if we’ll have any ‘trialists’ playing at the weekend?
  • ncr but i hear over 2000 leeds fan are heading over to australia for pre season surely that must be made up of mostly ex pats
  • The full set of the Addicks U23s' friendly dates can be found below:

Carshalton Athletic v Charlton U23s - Monday, July 22nd (7.30pm)

Dorking v Charlton U23s - Thursday, July 25th (7.30pm)

Bromley v Charlton U23s - Saturday, July 27th (12.30pm)

Kings Lynn Town v Charlton U23s - Tuesday, July 30th (7.30pm)

Biggleswade Town v Charlton U23s - Thursday, August 1st (7.30pm)

• The full set of the Addicks U23s' friendly dates can be found below:

Carshalton Athletic v Charlton U23s - Monday, July 22nd (7.30pm)

Dorking v Charlton U23s - Thursday, July 25th (7.30pm)

Bromley v Charlton U23s - Saturday, July 27th (12.30pm)

Kings Lynn Town v Charlton U23s - Tuesday, July 30th (7.30pm)

Biggleswade Town v Charlton U23s - Thursday, August 1st (7.30pm)

What type of team are we taking to Eastbourne United then if we aren’t taking the u23’s?
  • edited July 2019
    The Eastbourne game is an U18s fixture
  • The Eastbourne game is an U18s fixture
    Is there any particular reason we do not have any Saturday matches other than Bromley?  A shame as a few more fans may have been able to attend than can make midweek fixtures.
    Is there any particular reason we do not have any Saturday matches other than Bromley?  A shame as a few more fans may have been able to attend than can make midweek fixtures.
    Yes all of another dozen
  • £15 for welling is a bit of a joke stopped going a couple of years back when I heard that we charge to send a team down there and usually a hot day and the beers runs out v quickly. 
    A mate of mine just bought a ticket for the Welling match and mentioned this to a Welling director. 
    He was told that when Roland took charge of Charlton he did indeed suggest that we charge welling for sending a team to play there.
    But when it was pointed out to Roland the relationship between the two clubs he dropped the idea.
    So we do not charge for sending a team to play there. 

• I contacted the training ground last Friday, eight days ago.

On telling me they did not have any fixtures for the U23's I said that dates had been released a month ago for the midweek games but I was looking for the Saturday fixtures.

A poor level of communiucation is nothing to do with 'our mate'.
    It is if there's no fecker there to answer you!  ;)
    Probably because we need U23s for our first team friendlies on Saturdays.
  • Sponsored links:

• £15 for welling is a bit of a joke stopped going a couple of years back when I heard that we charge to send a team down there and usually a hot day and the beers runs out v quickly. 
    A mate of mine just bought a ticket for the Welling match and mentioned this to a Welling director. 
    He was told that when Roland took charge of Charlton he did indeed suggest that we charge welling for sending a team to play there.
    But when it was pointed out to Roland the relationship between the two clubs he dropped the idea.

thanks for telling me this, unfortunately wont be there as in benidorm for a 4 day stag. 

thanks for telling me this, unfortunately wont be there as in benidorm for a 4 day stag. 
    Enjoy yourself mate 
    That will please @LargeAddick. He's got tickets & so he can see the Premiership stars of the future now because by the time he gets to go to The valley they would have been sold.
  • Tooting & Mitcham away on Wednesday 7 August, u23s presumably? 
  • Pringle said:
    Tooting & Mitcham away on Wednesday 7 August, u23s presumably? 
    Definitely.
  • Yes!! My local team v Charlton U23 

@Ollywozere. Is this going to be announced by Charlton soon ? 
    Will be divided loyalties for @ElfsborgAddick
  • clive said:
    No mention of it on OS but Cawley saying JFC a doubt with his foot injury still...
  • £15 + an additional £2 to sit down to watch a pre-season game away to a team in the 6th tier seems madness.
    Yep. I know in the overall run of things £15 isn’t much these days and I also recognise that welling have to cash in, but I stopped attending this a few years ago when the price went from £12 to £15. Boredom with it and us fielding weaker and weaker teams year on year helped with the decision. Just can’t be bothered with it now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Always go to Welling pre-season. Got our tickets the other day & will be sitting in the stand. Anyone doing a preview thread on it.....
  • the attendance for the Welling fixture has dwindled massively over the past few years
  • £15 + an additional £2 to sit down to watch a pre-season game away to a team in the 6th tier seems madness.
    Yep. I know in the overall run of things £15 isn’t much these days and I also recognise that welling have to cash in, but I stopped attending this a few years ago when the price went from £12 to £15. Boredom with it and us fielding weaker and weaker teams year on year helped with the decision. Just can’t be bothered with it now. 
    Exactly, compared to us playing a testimonial game vs premier league opposition at the same price...
  • is Roland still charging them to send a team there?
    No. Never has done.

Someone posted on here the other day that RD was told about the history between the 2 clubs as soon as he proposed it. So he dropped the idea.

The rest is just internet gossip. 
    No. Never has done.

Someone posted on here the other day that RD was told about the history between the 2 clubs as soon as he proposed it. So he dropped the idea.

The rest is just internet gossip. 
    Pretty sure that at least one season we charged them a fee.
  • Still no preview from @ForeverAddickted

Roland out
  • Had a look at last seasons Welling game, figures in brackets are the number of appearances last year

Charlton first half: Maynard-Brewer, Marshall (9), Bauer(38), Sarr(35), Page(11), Dawkins, Aribo(38), Maloney, Grant(27), Magennis, Ajose (8). (166 )
    Charlton second half: Phillips(30), Solly(36), Ward, Pearce(26), Blumberg, Morgan(9), Lapslie(15), Forster-Caskey, Fosu(22), Taylor(44), Vetokele(14). (196)
    Didn't play at Welling:  Steer (19),Purrington (21), Bielik (33), Djiksteel (25), Stevenson (3), Cullen (31), Reeves (27), Williams (15), Pratley (24),  Ward (9), Parker (10), Hackett Fairchild (2). (219)

So more than a third of our first team appearances were from players that didn't feature at Welling

Looking at the players that are gone in that list we need at least 6 new signings/ promotions from the U23s

Steer (19) New Signing
    Bauer (38) replaced by  Lockyer
    Aribo (38) New Signing
    Fosu (22) New Signing
    Bielik (38) New Signing
    Cullen (31) Forster Caskey
    Reeves (27) Aneke
    Ward/ Williams (24) New Signing (hopefully Williams)
    Marshall (9)
    RHF (2)
    Grant/Parker (27) New Signing
    Ajose (8)
    Vetokele (14) Bonne

Marshall, RHF and Ajose would need to be covered by U23s.

You could argue that up to 9 new players are needed as surely it would be better for Lapslie, Morgan  and Bonne to go out on loan for half a season as regular first teamers in League 1

Figs are from this years Stat bank which, as always, was a great help

• Can't wait for a new owner to take us on a decent pre season tour. I do miss trying to arrange a few days away in some European city playing at a little known football club.

Turning up in Antwerp to watch us play Beerschott only to find the game had been played the night before. Teach me to listening to a 'well respected' lifer.
  • What was the score last year?