Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Liverpool

Comments

• Options
    Seems a lot of. Non prem fans want them to win, me included.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Remember the Valley crowd being very generous to Liverpool on 19/5/2001 chanting their name and cheering them off the field.  

By beating us 0-4 on the last day of the season Liverpool reached the qualifying round for the first time since the European Cup was changed to the Champions League in 1992. 

I also remember Charlton being the better team in the first half ... 

Houllier's side rode their luck in the first half at The Valley as Jamie Carragher escaped a penalty appeal for handling in the box and Mathias Svensson headed against the post. But, after the break, the Reds imposed themselves as Robbie Fowler hit a brace and strikes from Danny Murphy and Michael Owen secured a 0-4 win.
    Really ? Have to say I don't remember Charlton ever chanting another teams name or cheering them off the pitch. Guess the closest would be Burnley & Champions Chants & that was only at their fans because they were supportive re the protests
    Yup. I remember it. 

Im not sure about chanting for them but the announcer definitely requested that they be applauded for their achievement. 

it was really embarrassing. 
  • Options

• The played credited with the assist for Liverpool's winner is full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold, who has provided 14 assists in all competitions this season, more than any other Liverpool player.
    Yes, you read that right ..... a full back with 14 assists this season.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    I was at Anfield when Shaun Bartlett scored the winner at the Kop end.

Have that Scousers.
    Ive never been to Anfield but that atmosphere tonight looked amazing. Ive been to Old Trafford and Celtic and a few foreign grounds with great atmospheres but hopefully next time Charlton play at Anfield i will go.
    I believe our last Premier game in 2007 was away to Liverpool.
    I decided not to go as we were already relegated.
    I said to a 12 year old covered end junior, "sorry son I'll take you there next time"  :-(
  • Options
    Remember the Valley crowd being very generous to Liverpool on 19/5/2001 chanting their name and cheering them off the field.  

By beating us 0-4 on the last day of the season Liverpool reached the qualifying round for the first time since the European Cup was changed to the Champions League in 1992. 

Houllier's side rode their luck in the first half at The Valley as Jamie Carragher escaped a penalty appeal for handling in the box and Mathias Svensson headed against the post. But, after the break, the Reds imposed themselves as Robbie Fowler hit a brace and strikes from Danny Murphy and Michael Owen secured a 0-4 win.
    Really ? Have to say I don't remember Charlton ever chanting another teams name or cheering them off the pitch. Guess the closest would be Burnley & Champions Chants & that was only at their fans because they were supportive re the protests
    Yup. I remember it. 

Im not sure about chanting for them but the announcer definitely requested that they be applauded for their achievement. 

To be fair, they had won 4 trophies.
  • Options
    Best corner I have ever seen
    I think you're absolutely right, but I can only imagine what would have been said if it hadn't worked.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Have that Scousers.
    Ive never been to Anfield but that atmosphere tonight looked amazing. Ive been to Old Trafford and Celtic and a few foreign grounds with great atmospheres but hopefully next time Charlton play at Anfield i will go.
    The atmosphere tonight was amazing, but it isn't always like that. We played Liverpool in 2007, our last game in the PL, their last game before another Champions League final, and the Liverpool crowd were silent
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Seems a lot of. Non prem fans want them to win, me included.
    The sort of Prem fans desperate for them to fail are the ones who only follow the top 6 and claim to ‘hate’ every other side in that bracket apart from their own, despite them not even bothering to go to see their own team most weeks. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Have that Scousers.
    Prepare to be disappointed. The famous ‘special Anfield atmosphere’ doesn’t exist when they play the Charlton's or the Bournemouth’s or the Fulham’s. 

Bit like a Scunthorpe fan looking forward to coming to the Valley after hearing about the atmosphere agai st Cardiff a few years back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Have that Scousers.
    I said to a 12 year old covered end junior, "sorry son I'll take you there next time"  :-(
    It was. Gutted I didn't go to more away games during our PL spell, I guess at the time I thought it would go on for a lot longer :-(
  • Options
    Super Kev!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Have that Scousers.
    Hopefully we get to play there again by the time your son is 30 lol
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Have that Scousers.
    Hopefully we get to play there again by the time your son is 30 lol
    I was thinking 70.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Have that Scousers.
    Expect to be very disappointed for a standard league game.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Have that Scousers.
    The atmosphere tonight was amazing, but it isn't always like that. We played Liverpool in 2007, our last game in the PL, their last game before another Champions League final, and the Liverpool crowd were silent
    Yep. 
    I was a Liverpool fan as a kid. Would not have fallen in love with football if it wasn’t for that side in the late 70’s early 80’s. 
    So when I finally got to Anfield with Charlton I couldn’t believe how underwhelming it was. 
    But tonight was different gravy. 
    Said when Dembele missed that sitter at Barca it would come back to bite them on the arse. 
    Take a bow Alexander Arnold. 
  • Options

Yup. I remember it. 

I remember it well. During the warm up they lined up and ran to the West stand to applause, then turned and ran to the East with the same result. Winning four cups in a season is quite an achievement.
  • Options
    Is it really that silent? I cant say i have noticed any poor atmospheres for liverpool games on tv not like the Emirates where you cant help to notice it 
  • Options
    Pleased for Liverpool fans to see a great game and like some others, id prefer an English team to beat a foreign team in the cups.

Would I rather watch Charlton away at Bury (if we don't get promotion) you bet I would. 
  • Options
    Most of the big clubs in the prem have poor atmospheres for a lot of their games, especially against the smaller sides.

Been Anfield a few times to watch us and always been fairly dead, but then we're hardly the most exciting opponents for them with our 1k away support.

Anfield, quite uniquely, comes to life on European nights.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's Liverpool's 9th CL or European Cup final, but more amazingly, it's their 4th during the PL era, a time when they have never been the PL champions. There's something about Europe that brings out the best in them

During this period Man U have made 4 finals, Chelsea 2, Arsenal 1, Spurs 0, City 0, 
  • Options
    Most of the big clubs in the prem have poor atmospheres for a lot of their games, especially against the smaller sides.

Been Anfield a few times to watch us and always been fairly dead, but then we're hardly the most exciting opponents for them with our 1k away support.

Anfield, quite uniquely, comes to life on European nights.
    I may be wrong but you seem to have travelled a lot away. Whats your best away atmosphere? Ive been to games in Spain and Italy but i was lucky enough to go to a Celtic v Rangers game and that blew my mind. 
  • Options
    My second team......since the days of my all time favourite manager the legend that is Bill Shankly.
    Quite unbelievable, particularly when you consider the injury crisis.
  • Options
    And amazing to think that, as unlikely as it may seem, they could actually win the Premier League for the first time in 30 years this weekend. 
  • Options
    Brilliant. I didn't think they had a prayer, especially without Salah and Firmino. Glad to see I'm not the only one who wanted them to win. I hope they win the league as well but can't see City slipping up at Brighton.
  • Options
    I went to Anfield in the early 2000s. I think it was Bartlett’s debut. They sang You’ll Never Walk Alone before the game and when they came forward, the roar was pretty intense. 

Prem grounds tend to be fairly quiet once the club has been there more than a few seasons, unless there’s a bit of spice in the fixture. I wouldn’t expect Anfield to be rocking for the visit of Charlton. But European nights there are clearly very, very special. 
  • Options
    Thought they looked better without Salah to be honest. Ball seemed to be moved around quicker and Mane had more opportunity to produce. 

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Never understood the 'hate' for Liverpool on here. That result borders on the supernatural, and anyone who doesn't  want them to win the final has the sensibilities of a dead dog.
  • Options
    Brilliant game. I encouraged my son to pick a prem team over here when we went down to watch on TV. He picked Liverpool. He's chuffed. I like Klopp he is so positive. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    What a game to fall asleep and miss, incredible result!

I've never minded Liverpool and when i was first getting into football they had the side with Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge managed by Dalglish so aside from Charlton they were the first side i liked watching.

However that changed this season thanks to Carragher and McManaman, listening to ridiculously biased commentary, almost screaming any time Liverpool get within 10 yards of the opposition area, it's been painful to listen to and for that reason alone i've found myself wanting them to win nothing.

Just watching last nights highlights though, what an atmosphere. A game that any Liverpool fan who was there will remember for the rest of their lives, and that's what football is about.

Apparently Klopp has never lost a 2 legged European tie with Liverpool, now into a 3rd straight final.