Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone else think that Albie Morgan should start in midfield against Donny?

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    He will go 4-3-3 on Sunday as Doncaster are leathal on the break and we are going there to disrupt that first, worry about our own game second. As a result I see Pratley in the mid 3. I don't like it but it'll be Taylor uptop as a false 9 and Aribo with WIlliams trying to break up Donnys regimented defence. Lapslie to get a game as a sub to keep disrupting donny in the second half. No room for Albie, barely room Cullen.
    Bowyer's stuck with his preferred diamond formation in most big games/tough away games hasn't he? Not sure that'll change for the play-offs.
    Agreed, not in a million years will he suddenly change to a 4-3-3 now.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He will go 4-3-3 on Sunday as Doncaster are leathal on the break and we are going there to disrupt that first, worry about our own game second. As a result I see Pratley in the mid 3. I don't like it but it'll be Taylor uptop as a false 9 and Aribo with WIlliams trying to break up Donnys regimented defence. Lapslie to get a game as a sub to keep disrupting donny in the second half. No room for Albie, barely room Cullen.
    Bowyer's stuck with his preferred diamond formation in most big games/tough away games hasn't he? Not sure that'll change for the play-offs.
    So why did he do it at Oxford?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Scoham said:
    Because Vetokele was injured and he thought we'd be stronger with the five midfielders than play Parker?

Why did he play Parker on Saturday? Perhaps he felt we don't have the players to make 4-5-1/4-3-3 work (i.e. pace out wide and goalscoring midfielers).
  • Options
    And it worked so well... 

You’d have to be mad to start experimenting with your formation for the biggest game of the season. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I thought we played 4-5-1.
    Taylor up top by himself.
  • Options
    We were undone on the break several times in March up there because of that formation. We were the better side but scraped a draw becasue of the late disallowed goal. But still they ould have had us out of sight because of the counters earlier on. I believe Bowyer wants to just get it back to the Valley and smashe them at home
    That was Charlton in March. We were struggling to score goals and put games to bed. Taylor was out of sorts returning from his suspension, Karlan had been sold, Igor was still not fit or confident, and we had not adapted our game to get more goals from midfield.

It could, of course, all change in an instant, but the way we have been playing for the last 6 weeks, if we were to dominate possession like we did up there last time I'd be much more confident we will get at least a couple of goals.
  • Options
    And Taylor has looked a shadow of himself every time he's played up top on his own.
  • Options
    All valid points and I was just creating conversation in a way. I love the way we have been playing recently, however I do believe Bowyer will not put out the 11 we all expect because of the opposition. I do genuinely fear Doncaster especially because of Wilks and Marquis. They exhibit their best features on the break and I think we could dominate all game at the Keepmoat and still come away behind as a result of those two. We were extremely lucky that wasn't the case in March.
  • Options
    We were undone on the break several times in March up there because of that formation. We were the better side but scraped a draw becasue of the late disallowed goal. But still they ould have had us out of sight because of the counters earlier on. I believe Bowyer wants to just get it back to the Valley and smashe them at home
    That was Charlton in March. We were struggling to score goals and put games to bed. Taylor was out of sorts returning from his suspension, Karlan had been sold, Igor was still not fit or confident, and we had not adapted our game to get more goals from midfield.

It could, of course, all change in an instant, but the way we have been playing for the last 6 weeks, if we were to dominate possession like we did up there last time I'd be much more confident we will get at least a couple of goals.
    Igor had just scored against Luton in the previous game but picked up an injury. He then scored against Scunthorpe when he returned to the team.

Changing from a diamond to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 means switching the AM and a striker to each wing. You still have a DM and two CMs ahead of him - are we really going to stop counter attacks by playing for example Williams and Reeves on the wings? If anything it might encourage more counters, we don't look comfortable playing that type of system.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Igor had just scored against Luton in the previous game but picked up an injury. He then scored against Scunthorpe when he returned to the team.

Changing from a diamond to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 means switching the AM and a striker to each wing. You still have a DM and two CMs ahead of him - are we really going to stop counter attacks by playing for example Williams and Reeves on the wings? If anything it might encourage more counters, we don't look comfortable playing that type of system.
    Wimbledon not Luton?

I believe Donny away was Igor's second start after returning from his shoulder injury, the first being 2 weeks earlier against Southend. So he had scored, but he was very much still feeling his way in fitness wise. He was rushed back a little bit as well which wasn't helping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Wimbledon not Luton?

I believe Donny away was Igor's second start after returning from his shoulder injury, the first being 2 weeks earlier against Southend. So he had scored, but he was very much still feeling his way in fitness wise. He was rushed back a little bit as well which wasn't helping.
    Ah, I meant the Oxford game when Bowyer did switch to 4-5-1/4-3-3. Had Igor been fit I'm sure he'd have stuck with the diamond formation.
  • Options
    451 doesn’t work with Taylor up front alone. Parker , as limited as he is has to play to allow Taylor to perform to the standard he can 
  • Options
    Home yes. Away no.
  • Options
    If we should feel Doncaster, they should be soiling themselves thinking of us!
  • Options
    As suggested elsewhere, if Williams is fit, I’d play Aribo up front with Taylor, with Williams, Cullen, Bielik and AN Other.  Save Albie for the home leg
  • Options
    Personally I thought the game passed him by for the majority of the time he was on the pitch. 

However, most importantly the time where he didn’t he looked very good on the ball and put in two excellent passes for the goals. 
  • Options
    He was excellent yesterday, played a big part in both of our goals. 
  • Options
    So calm and composed on the ball and his passing was superb. It's a joy to watch him, Cullen and Aribo together. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very impressed the couple of times I've seen him. Has a great eye for a pass and deserves to start on Friday. Need this lad on a long contract. 
  • Options
    Quality player will only get better with age and decent coaching, big decision to make for Lee and the coaching staff, I’ll leave it up to them to get it right, that’s what there paid to do.
  • Options
    Quality player will only get better with age and decent coaching, big decision to make for Lee and the coaching staff, I’ll leave it up to them to get it right, that’s what there paid to do.
    Still young. Can he cope with two high pressure games so close together mentally as well as physically yet?

I hope he can because I rate him highly but as you say Trust In Bowyer.
  • Options
    I think he starts Friday in front of Reeves and Williams. He just has it, he has the makings of a top footballer. 
  • Options
    Williams or igor 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    He has as much skill as Williams but he's a much more efficient footballer - his runs and his passes have a purpose, you don't see him endlessly dribbling down dead ends.

Plays with his head up, and a picture in his mind. No need when he receives the ball to turn 360 degrees to see who is available for a pass, he already knows. A proper playmaker we haven't had the likes of since Andy Reid.

Definite starter on Friday, for me.
  • Options
    Sunday was the first time I had seen him, I was really impressed.  Supprised by the number of people that said the game passed him by. 
  • Options
    His forward passing led to both of our goals.
    Reeves would have turned in a circle and passed the ball backwards.
    Williams would have run into a ruck of players and lost the ball.
    Long live Albie.

I
    not sure that's fair at all. Reeves is often the one who does try forward balls! In the early days of his career at Charlton, he was often criticised for losing the balls purely because he opted not to pass it sideways/backwards.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sunday was the first time I had seen him, I was really impressed.  Supprised by the number of people that said the game passed him by. 
    There are times during games where he struggles to get involved. But that's down to game time/experience and will come.

He's a very talented player, both natural ability and a football brain, most in League one don't have both attributes. I'd start him Friday, he'll get his first goal soon.
  • Options
    He is definitely very talented and can spot a pass better than anybody and is a great prospect. Williams gives the midfield additional pace and energy. I suppose it will be what Bowyer thinks we need on Friday. I think he will start Williams.