Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone else think that Albie Morgan should start in midfield against Donny?

Comments

• Options
    Morgan has certainly impressed in his last 2 appearances, I've no idea who Bowyer will go with, though Reeves not starting any of the recent matches suggests he's slipped down the pecking order
    A risk playing someone so inexperienced in such a big game though
    Reeves started against Scunthorpe and played well!

- The Official Ben Reeves Fanclub (membership: 1)
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    I would say albie Morgan had a poor first half vs sunderland at the valley so maybe worth a degree of caution that maybe it won't be the same in a big game.
    That said he then bossed the second half of that game and we played them off the park so what do I know 

Your memory is letting you down !
    Albie Morgan was the only good thing about Charlton in the first 35 minutes against Sunderland at the Valley.
    We were totally on the back foot, including Taylor and we were lucky not to be out the game by HT 
    Second half the whole team played well and we could and should've finished with the 3 points.

Mind playing tricks on me, confusing him with another midfielder possibly Cullen? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Haven't been that impressed by Williams overall and Reeves is more likely to disappoint than not, so yes I would start Albie. 

I like Morgan but the only player I'd definitely drop him for is Reeves.
    Morgan is much better than Reeves 
  • Options
    Play offs are a time for experience. Brave to start Albie as good as he is. I'd be inclined to start with Reeves.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Morgan is one for the future and is an option. I trust Bowyer to pick the best team for now. The ball Morgan played for Taylor's goal was so perfectly weighted it was sublime. Bowyer reckons he needs to get fitter and I am wondering what a player we would have on our hands if he added that quality which anybody can attain with hard work, to his natural ability. Very exciting, although we also know that when we see the very best of him he will be gone in a month or so. So right to enjoy a great prospect as he is now!

Reeves is decent for this level. He is a bit of a spongefoot but when he plays well he can get goals and does a good job. I doubt Reeves or Morgan will play on Doncaster barring injuries. Bielik, Cullen , Aribo and Williams will probably be our starting midfield. Not too shoddy really!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Morgan has certainly impressed in his last 2 appearances, I've no idea who Bowyer will go with, though Reeves not starting any of the recent matches suggests he's slipped down the pecking order

Ben Reeves has played well in quite a few matches at the Valley.  Wasn't it the Coventry match when he was having a good game and taken off when we were 1-0 up and we lost 2-1. 
    The great thing is Bowyer has options in midfield but not up front if Igor is crooked.
    I would play Aribo as Taylor's partner because for all his work rate Parker isn't good enough. I'm judging him over his whole career and not just from Saturday.

Morgan was mustard on Saturday and won't let anyone down.

• Options
    Yes. Williams is a luxury player. And if we play Morgan, Aribo can play in the centre attacking midfield role where he has flourished recently 
  • Options
    I would play Parker with Taylor as despite shortcomings, last Saturday sort of showed some things coming together that have not been evident before.
  • Options
    I really hope Williams doesn't play. He breaks up our passing play, constantly loses the ball and fall over but even more importantly means Aribo has to play deeper. For me It's definitely Morgan for the home game. Up there I would probably play him but consider Lapslie as the 4th midfielder alongside Cullen Bielik and Aribo. Must play 2 up top even if one has to be Parker.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    redman said:
    I really hope Williams doesn't play. He breaks up our passing play, constantly loses the ball and fall over but even more importantly means Aribo has to play deeper. For me It's definitely Morgan for the home game. Up there I would probably play him but consider Lapslie as the 4th midfielder alongside Cullen Bielik and Aribo. Must play 2 up top even if one has to be Parker.
    I hope he does play Williams - top, top player well above this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Talal said:
    Haven't been that impressed by Williams overall and Reeves is more likely to disappoint than not, so yes I would start Albie. 

I like Morgan but the only player I'd definitely drop him for is Reeves.
    Morgan is much better than Reeves 

That's what I mean't 😀
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Morgan is good .. but away in a potentially tight, possibly 'dirty' game I'd go for all action Duracell man, a k a George Lapslie alongside Williams, Aribo and Bielik
    Leaving out Cullen?

good point ! .. perhaps Cullen for Williams, BUT I am a fan of Williams though he can be very frustrating .. Aribo and Bielik are certainties 
  • Options
    To me Williams doesn't deliver enough. I'd rather play Aribo in the free role at the top of the diamond, like he did on Saturday, as he then has more freedom to roam, the play one of Morgan or Reeves in midfield
  • Options

Be interesting to see how LB sets up on Sunday, he will believe we can win both matches but my take is that he will go for the cautious approach for the away leg. Personally I would play Morgan as he is more positive than Reeves and creates chances, also his presence allows Aribo to play in a more attacking position. Funnily, although at times I think if Parker fell off a boat he wouldn't hit water, he actually played his part on Saturday by creating room and act as a foil for Lyle so in the absence of Igor I would keep him in.

As for Williams he obviously has a fan base on this site, fair enough we all have our own opinions, but I have yet to see anything from him that excites me. How can a midfielder who neither scores or creates chances be "way too good for this league" Reminds me of Wagstaff running around aimlessly, falling over and moaning I would have Morgan every day of the week and twice on a Sunday over Williams.

• Options
    Play offs are a time for experience. Brave to start Albie as good as he is. I'd be inclined to start with Reeves.
    Based on my experience of watching Reeves in the playoffs last year against Shrewsbury, I don't think that means too much
  • Options
    redman said:
    I hope he does play Williams - top, top player well above this level.
    He's not really shown that though has he? There have been a few moments but not nearly enough for someone meant to be above this level. 
  • Options
    I think he unsettles teams with his energy and runs and compliments the midfield. Shame he doesn't know where the goal is, but this is league one.
  • Options
    This is what I said on the post match thread, about 10 hours ago.

I've been contemplating why we played our BEST football of the season yesterday.
    Ok, Rochdale came and tried to play football which always helps.
    But my conclusion is the biggest reason was Albie Morgan.

When Morgan gets the ball he passes forward at every opportunity.
    When Williams or Reeves get the ball they stop, often turn round in a circle and often pass sideways or backwards.
    Alternatively, Williams runs forward head down like a Rugby League player and gets tackled.

Keep Albie in the team !
    The only reason not to would be because it is a big, big game away from home. Personally I think the lad seems to have the right head on his shoulders to handle the pressure, but we'll have to trust Bowyer on that. He's certainly ahead of Reeves now. Williams can do serious damage, but can also flatter to deceive. Albie is more direct in his passing, and I think he's got a better range than Reeves. It definitely helped us on the break. The way we played on Saturday, it was Aribo who was the most advanced of the midfield and he did a lot of damage. I think it's probably most important that he retains that roll, more so than if Williams or Albie starts. Williams played deeper and wider with Aribo pushed up second half vs Luton and we looked just as good in that game too.
  • Options
    My gut tells me Pratley will start the away leg.
  • Options

Igor was smiling during the lap of honour on Saturday 
    ... or maybe wincing with pain. Easy to confuse the two from a distance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer does have previous in relation to throwing opponents a curve ball. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ... or would you go with something like Pratley for the away leg 
    I know Pratley is uninspiring and has his critics, but a bit harsh to reduce him to a "thing".

Or did you mean "someone like Pratley". If so, who do we have who is "like Pratley" (apart from the man himself)?
  • Options
    I think he unsettles teams with his energy and runs and compliments the midfield. Shame he doesn't know where the goal is, but this is league one.
    Wait who are you referring to?

Morgan was very unlucky not to score.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Williams - I think Morgan will get goals through his career. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Wait who are you referring to?

Morgan was very unlucky not to score.
    Couldnt be talking about Morgan anyway, he said his energy and runs

Bowyer has already said Morgan really needs to improve his fitnes
  • Options
    No. I don’t. But I do think that his brother Albie has a decent shout. 

Doh! Corrected (what kind of a name is “Albie” anyway?)
    As long as Albie doesnt take any shortcuts across the railway track we should be ok

Glad some people got the joke and reference
    Thank you
    @Scoham
    @Jack Charlton
    @C_A_F_C
  • Options
    Leuth said:

• Options
    He will go 4-3-3 on Sunday as Doncaster are leathal on the break and we are going there to disrupt that first, worry about our own game second. As a result I see Pratley in the mid 3. I don't like it but it'll be Taylor uptop as a false 9 and Aribo with WIlliams trying to break up Donnys regimented defence. Lapslie to get a game as a sub to keep disrupting donny in the second half. No room for Albie, barely room Cullen.
  • Options
    He will go 4-3-3 on Sunday as Doncaster are leathal on the break and we are going there to disrupt that first, worry about our own game second. As a result I see Pratley in the mid 3. I don't like it but it'll be Taylor uptop as a false 9 and Aribo with WIlliams trying to break up Donnys regimented defence. Lapslie to get a game as a sub to keep disrupting donny in the second half. No room for Albie, barely room Cullen.
    Bowyer's stuck with his preferred diamond formation in most big games/tough away games hasn't he? Not sure that'll change for the play-offs.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    We were undone on the break several times in March up there because of that formation. We were the better side but scraped a draw becasue of the late disallowed goal. But still they ould have had us out of sight because of the counters earlier on. I believe Bowyer wants to just get it back to the Valley and smashe them at home