Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did we deserve to finish 3rd?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    You finish where you deserve compared to other sides so yes.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The thing that hits me about this season and a few others under the owner we have is that even finishing third, there were a few games when we sort of knew we were going to lose before we played them. Losing games happens every season, but knowing you are going to lose (apart from relegation seasons of course) is something I link to Duchatelet more than any other owner since I have supported the club as a boy. This was of course due to injuries and squad depth, but whilst you would expect this in an average or poor season, it is unusual in a good one. It tells me that had there been a little bit of additional support for Bowyer this thread would probably be asking if we deserved to be Champions! 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Over 46 games we finished 3rd.

IF, we didn't lose Cullen and Igor to dislocated shoulders for 10 weeks.
    IF we had all the loan players sorted before the 1st  match.
    IF Taylor hadn't been red carded and missed those vital 3 games.
    IF Bielik had played more matches and wasn't injury prone.
    IF Grant had stayed to the end of the season and we had Him, Taylor and a fit Vetokele to play the 90 minutes. (Igor playing limited amounts to conserve his ailing body)
    IF various Charlton players weren't created by Swarovski: Page, Williams, Bielik, Igor etc.
    IF we had an owner who cared.
    IF my aunty had Bollocks she would be...

So many effing IF's but like life, you have a plan and then life takes you down a different road.

We finished 3rd and we have momentum.
    I think the Doncaster matches are 50/50 and fate and the rub of the green will play a part.

If I wasn't an atheist I would pray but in my world you give it your best shot and fate will decide the rest.

• Options
    'deserve' .. f f s .. oh lord, I am not worthy .. we finished third because we had the requisite number of points and the right goal difference .. end of
  • Options
    I'n sure Pompey will have regrets as for a long time they looked favourites for automatic. But there are no prizes for being top half way through the season
  • Options
    88 points is normally a total that gets you 2nd or 3rd really. Lincoln won League 2 with 85 points, so we've been very unlucky with the way it's worked out and that there's been 5 teams so much better than the rest. 3rd is the least we deserve, like I say really 88 should be enough to nick 2nd.
  • Options
    Where you finish is where you deserve to be.  It cannot be any other way.
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    88 points is normally a total that gets you 2nd or 3rd really. Lincoln won League 2 with 85 points, so we've been very unlucky with the way it's worked out and that there's been 5 teams so much better than the rest. 3rd is the least we deserve, like I say really 88 should be enough to nick 2nd.
    In league one history, the average points total for 2nd place is 86.7 so yes we're probably unlucky not to go up. But then again, so are Pompey and Sunderland.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Didn't we score more points than the teams in 4th, 5th and 6th?  If we didn't then clearly we do not deserve to be above them and I think heads should roll at the "adding up" department of the EFL.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Of course we deserved it! Its not the like EFL placed us there themselves. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    89 points were required to secure second this year. Barnsley happened to exceed that total.
  • Options
    As the great Lennie Lawrence remarked, there are no false positions after 42 games (or, in our case, 46).
  • Options
    Guessing no one complained in 95/96 the only time Millwall where 22nd was the last game of the season 
  • Options
    The League table counts for nothing during the season. It's basically for your amusement while you speculate on the results for the next match.

Only once 46 games have been played by all teams in the division, does it have any meaning.
    That's the only table that matters.

• Options
    The table doesn't lie 
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Charlton would have finished top if every match was halted on 73 minutes, with 91 points 

https://experimental361.com/2019/05/09/minute-by-minute-league-tables-efl-2018-19/