Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Rochdale post-match thread 2019

Comments

• I was at a wedding yesterday in the middle of nowhere in Sussex so i gave up trying to get updates on my phone as the signal was so poor. I had assumed we would win but still finish 5th so was chuffed when i found out we had jumped up to 3rd. Just watched the goals and feeling confident but still cautious against Donnie. They will be pretty tough but i am glad we have started banging in goals the last few weeks and yet again another clean sheet.
  • masicat said:
    Change the Barnsley defeat to a win, and we get promoted.Small margins.
    We deserved something  from the game at Barnsley.
    We really didn’t, could have been 4-0 down at half time. Then controlled the game in the second half without creating anything. 
  • Mametz said:
    Did anyone during yesterdays game give a thought as to who owns the club,this was football and entertainment of the highest order,played by a bunch of lads who clearly played for the shirt.A special word about Parker,he had some dodgy moments but not once did he hide ,respect to the man.The atmosphere at the club is the best for many years,personally,not condoning Rolands stewardship ,if I could witness this sort of football every week,I could not care less who owns the club.Maybe I will change my mind if certain contract issues are not resolved,but at the moment the sole concern should be about what happens on the pitch.
    The problem is that Roland could not care less about how the team is playing.  We have got an extremely good young manager who has worked wonders with limited resources and is asking for a contract so he can stay. Even at this late stage, Roland has not offered him one and instead he is moaning about how much promotion is going to cost him. 
    Don’t agree with the last bit. In the Championship the TV money is significantly higher and we’d get bigger crowds. He could use that extra money to cover some of the costs and keep the wage budget for the squad the same as this season.
  • clb74 said:
    masicat said:
    Change the Barnsley defeat to a win, and we get promoted.Small margins.
    We deserved something  from the game at Barnsley.
    Are we talking about 29th December 2018 Barnsley game
    No, the 0-6
  • LenGlover said:
    PWR and all that.

Third! 

We don't need to fear anyone just keep our nerve and there is a real chance of going all the way. It's Charlton we are talking about though so many a slip and all that. However I feel more optimistic than this time last year,

A workmanlike job today with some elements of real quality. Aribo was dominant and showed why we need his signature pronto. Bielik too was quality and good to see him score a good goal. Was his injury yet another boot to the bollocks? Young Albie missed a chance but nevertheless was instrumental in two of our goals. Good interplay with Krystian and a lovely weighted pass to send Lyall on his way. He offers vision which the others don't quite have to the same degree.

Poor old Parker missed an absolute sitter but he never hid and put a shift in. My old eyes might have deceived me but I think it was his back heel to Aribo for the first goal so he did contribute. Couldn't help laughing at 'if Parker scores we're on the pitch' though!

Unexpected bonus today. I just wanted to avoid defeat, injuries and suspensions and we ended up gaining two positions and home advantage too.

COYR!!!

A bit harsh to say Albie missed, no?  More of a very good save by the ‘keeper. 
  • The problem for me is that my knowledge of football tells me we are the best team and my knowledge of Charlton reminds me this can all go pear-shaped still.
  • Scoham said:
    Mametz said:
    Did anyone during yesterdays game give a thought as to who owns the club,this was football and entertainment of the highest order,played by a bunch of lads who clearly played for the shirt.A special word about Parker,he had some dodgy moments but not once did he hide ,respect to the man.The atmosphere at the club is the best for many years,personally,not condoning Rolands stewardship ,if I could witness this sort of football every week,I could not care less who owns the club.Maybe I will change my mind if certain contract issues are not resolved,but at the moment the sole concern should be about what happens on the pitch.
    The problem is that Roland could not care less about how the team is playing.  We have got an extremely good young manager who has worked wonders with limited resources and is asking for a contract so he can stay. Even at this late stage, Roland has not offered him one and instead he is moaning about how much promotion is going to cost him. 
    Don’t agree with the last bit. In the Championship the TV money is significantly higher and we’d get bigger crowds. He could use that extra money to cover some of the costs and keep the wage budget for the squad the same as this season.
    With all due respect it doesn’t matter whether you agree with last bit or not. Roland has been moaning about the losses he would incur in the Championship. You say thar Roland “ could “ use TV money to cover the costs. He could have used the 1.5 million he got from selling Grant to fund a proven replacement for him in January. He didn’t though, did he?
  • edited May 2019
    But we do play football above a few Championship teams - my eyes tell me that. We are a better footballing side than the 2011 side IMO. We have dropped points due to squad depth, or lack of it in certain positions. You would think that Doncaster may catch us out in one game, but are going to find it very hard over two.

For me it feels like we are a top half championship team in the League One play offs.
  • Bielik's goal was the difference between third and fourth .. Donny would have been my choice from the three possibles .. Let Pompey and the Mackems wear each other out as they did recently at Wembley thereby getting them both nice and vulnerable for their next Wembley showdown, whichever outfit comes through to play USSSSS .. and get beaten
  • Sponsored links:

• By the way, anybody know why the ref didn't send their player off for foul on Parker? 
  • By the way, anybody know why the ref didn't send their player off for foul on Parker? 
    Was that the incident when he was last man? - Presume the rules have changed seeing Lapslie wasnt sent off @ Oxford for the same sort of offence

Bit of a joke if so because it gives the Defender free reign to bring down a player (like what we saw yesterday) who has gotten clear without having to worry about being sent off
  • Sounds like Parker showed the true element of his game. Get yourself about and make a nuisance of yourself! Also sounded like he linked up play well? Taylor or KAG he isn't but if he is a player who gives his all then I'm happy enough with that. Sometimes we just need a player to then dirty work to allow the more technical players more room to play.

Hope he has turned a corner...could be at the right time.

• thanks Sage
  • The only cloud in my Charlton sky is the owner (Keohane too, but he is an insignificant piece of shit). But what a massive, ominous, doom laden cloud Duchatelet is. Get rid of him, keep Bowyer, and it would again be a very happy Valley.

Watched on iFollow yesterday. Can only echo many of the comments on here, especially the performance of Albie Morgan. He's going to be some player - but (here looms that cloud again) we all know that Duchatelet will cash in as soon as he can.
    Was that the incident when he was last man? - Presume the rules have changed seeing Lapslie wasnt sent off @ Oxford for the same sort of offence

Bit of a joke if so because it gives the Defender free reign to bring down a player (like what we saw yesterday) who has gotten clear without having to worry about being sent off
    Laws have not changed really, only a player is not to be sent off if the official has deemed his challenge one where he had the intention of playing the ball, but that is only in the penalty area I believe as it was classed as double punishment.

Lapslie got away with it a bit away at Oxford, but I do believe that if you look, he didn't make a challenge anyway, he was running back and trying to avoid the player, their legs tangle and he brings him down, it would be different if he slid in and took him out.

Yesterday, their player had no intention of playing the ball and only focused on preventing Parker going through on goal with a clear goal scoring opportunity. He should've saw red, but the referee obviously didn't want to have to do that one the last day of the season. Consistency is really what the difference is between officials at League One level and ones at the top. Albeit, some officials are horrendous too whilst others are very good. The one who officiated the Spurs v Ajax game on Tuesday was excellent for example. 
  • Mametz said:
    Scoham said:
    Mametz said:
    With all due respect it doesn’t matter whether you agree with last bit or not. Roland has been moaning about the losses he would incur in the Championship. You say thar Roland “ could “ use TV money to cover the costs. He could have used the 1.5 million he got from selling Grant to fund a proven replacement for him in January. He didn’t though, did he?
    That’s my point - I really doubt he’s moaning that promotion will cost him. If anything it could cost less due to the big increase TV money.
  • Rochdale were the perfect opposition yesterday. They tried to play football but was picked off easily. If the first half would have last another 5 mins they could have gone in 6 or 7 nill down.

We and could and should have scored another 4 or 5 yesterday, a mixture of Parker, good goal keeping, and a referee losing his bottle saved Rochdale from being on the end of a cricket score. 

Parker tried hard but just isn’t good enough. Morgan looked class and would be unlucky to be dropped next week. 

• Sponsored links:

• I think having skim read some posts just about everything has been covered in this thread.

What I found interesting though was pre-match I was in Crossbars and joined by a group of 4 Norwegians at my table, got talking to them and found it quite insightful to the thinking and how / what brought them to Charlton for the day.

They said they don't find football interesting in Norway and instead they all follow English football and don't really follow anybody in the Norwegian league. They fly over from Norway to Stanstead airport arriving on a Friday and will look to go to a game each day over the weekend including Friday night if there's a game on in the area they've flown to. Today they've gone to see Brentford v Preston and fly back home tomorrow.

They actually thought the beer prices in Crossbars was quite reasonable given how expensive it is to drink in Norway and were very complimentary of The Valley in general they said they felt very welcome and were also interested in going to the play off home leg which being on a Friday night they might well do now I guess. 

They even had the Blackpool ticket stubs on them from the previous game they saw in case they couldn't get tickets as one of them likes Leeds in particular and one game couldn't get tickets due to restricted sale. The same guy also mentioned how he had also once been to Stamford Bridge back in the bad old days to see Chelsea v Leeds. They asked who our biggest rivals were and who in my opinion were the most horrible club in London, to which I answered Millwall to both and explained to the guy that a Millwall v Charlton game probably wouldn't be too dissimilar to a Chelsea v Leeds game, they are generally ground hopping around London and will probably avoid Millwall now lol.

They were quite fascinated to hear that i'd been to 65 grounds and they asked which had the best atmosphere i'd been to. Genuinely a difficult question but I said Sunderland based on where i'd been to and is genuinely a fantastic atmosphere when it's a buzzing full house, I saw us lose 3-2 there in the Prem years and the atmosphere was rocking that day. They had been to Newcastle before so might do Sunderland now too.

Completely not related to the match itself I know but i'm glad we put on such a performance for the Norwegians. I was genuinely surprised how as a club we still have quite a pull with football fans abroad. They come over quite a lot for business apparently and also said they'd like to see us get promoted not only so 1 of them would get to see us play Leeds but also so they could entertain business clients too - a lot easier to do when playing the likes of Leeds instead of Rochdale.

Sometimes when you feel RD has completely destroyed the club it's occasions like these that still give a ray of hope for when he does eventually leave.
    I've seen a lot of foreign fans at The Valley this season. Quite a few Scandanavians and Germans but also some Italians and Spanish. Saw some Germans yesterday. 

The Valley is an easy location and easy to get tickets, so it's a no brainier for footy tourists. They can't get tickets for Chelsea etc, so watch Fulham, Charlton and no doubt Millwall, QPR etc. 
  • As well as the European tourists that comes to the Valley, I met an interesting and eccentric guy of about 70 at London bridge as we both missed our East Croydon Connection by 5 Seconds.
    This is 100% true.
    The guy is a Palace season ticket holder, who when they are away will cheer on CAFC at the Valley, he was wearing an Orient scarf and under his coat was wearing a Millwall shirt !
    He comes to the valley at least 12 times a season.
    If you frequent the Charlton Cafe you may have seen him there. Just like myself he talks to strangers. 
    Smashing guy who was glad all over to see a Charlton win.

• Sage said:
    Parker - A great and tireless effort yesterday 
    lol
  • I've been contemplating why we played our BEST football of the season yesterday.
    Ok, Rochdale came and tried to play football which always helps.
    But my conclusion is the biggest reason was Albie Morgan.

When Morgan gets the ball he passes forward at every opportunity.
    When Williams or Reeves get the ball they stop, often turn round in a circle and often pass sideways or backwards.
    Alternatively, Williams runs forward head down like a Rugby League player and gets tackled.

Keep Albie in the team !
  • Sage said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Sage said:
    Parker - A great and tireless effort yesterday 
    lol
    You do not think he put in a lot of effort yesterday?

He showed for the ball all the time and although he really should've scored, he constantly was in those positions to score. He didn't get downhearted and I think we should be able to recognise he put in a shift which deserved to be capped off with a goal.
    Honestly I thought he was shocking, lost the ball numerous times, several bad touches. He set up Aribos goal, but the open goal he missed was appalling, its easily the worst performance from a striker Ive seen this season.