Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cologne, Germany

Anybody been? Any recommendations for the  best places to see/visit/stay?

Comments

• I went In January but was for football and stayed close to the airport. It was very nice what I did see though . Cathedral is impressive and the train system out there is very good 
  • Been 3 times, twice just for changing on to other trains where I only spent an hour or so there. Then I finally decided to spend a bit longer on my way back from Munich on my 3rd trip.

Stayed at the Zur Guten Quelle hotel: https://gutequelle.com/ it's pretty central and was quite good from memory. Not too far from the station and easily located for most of the attractions in the city.

The cathedral is definitely worth a visit and there are a number of museums, it was raining most of the time I was there so ended up inside for the most part.
  • Go the first week of December, embrace the full Christmas spirit.
  • My wife got thrown out of the cathedral when she was a teenager for wearing a low cut top... :D
  • Will dig out where I stayed as it was safe, cheapish and fairly close to the centre. 

I went just before Christmas a few years ago, loved it. Chocolate museum was a decent afternoon with a nice cafe, and obviously the Christmas Markets were on which were great, 
  • I went to the carnival on a stag do first weekend of March. Unreal weekend - fancy dress everywhere, parades etc etc
  • I went to the carnival on a stag do first weekend of March. Unreal weekend - fancy dress everywhere, parades etc etc
    Fasching
  • Great city.

On the food front. I can warmly recommend Hase for dinner, informal but high quality and innovative cooking.

This pub is on the waterfront near the station, and especially worth a visit if you like herring and other fish of the north with your beer.

Cologne draught beer is by tradition served in tiny 0.2l glasses, which I find baffling but the waiters get round quickly with fresh glasses. Of course you never need to fight your way to the bar for the honour of being served, it's always at-seat service. It is Europe, after all ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks everyone. Have booked a nice hotel on the water front (so not far from that pub @PragueAddick). Probably going to park at one of the park and rides (€2.50 per day to park) and get the tram into the city centre
  • We have an office just outside so been there many times...Chocolate museum, cathedral, alt stadt, go in the corkonian itish bar in the alt stadt with a Charlton shirt on and they will bound to mention another fan that goes in there.

There is great shopping and eating in Hohe Strasse which is a narrow street and at the end the more elaborate and big shops are housed.

Within 30 minutes there are great days out including Bonn where Beethoven was born Wuppertal, Aachen, Dusseldorf and if you want to about 15 minute jorney is Leverkusen where the mighty Bayer Leverkusen play...

The local beer is Kolsch which can only be brewed locally....

Most places you will find no trouble but can get a bit dodgy in the turkish quarter, which is north east of the station, in the bars there dont drink alone otherwise you get "girls" bother you.
  • Stayed there for a week in the world cup 06,  cant remember a thing but great City
  • My wife got thrown out of the cathedral when she was a teenager for wearing a low cut top... :D

You are not allowed towear any caps/hats either...you will get a local or guide shouting "kopf" at you and pointing.
  • Hotel Cristall is good, a modern boutique hotel but is just around the corner from the turkish quarter and has a main roadway and rail lines close by. But they never bothered us.

• Most places you will find no trouble but can get a bit dodgy in the turkish quarter, which is north east of the station, in the bars there dont drink alone otherwise you get "girls" bother you.
    Just for research purposes Chippy, where 'exactly' are these bars you speak of?  ;)

Said it before and will unashamedly say it again, I lived in Germany for 5 years and you'll not find a bad city in the country.

• Most places you will find no trouble but can get a bit dodgy in the turkish quarter, which is north east of the station, in the bars there dont drink alone otherwise you get "girls" bother you.
    Just for research purposes Chippy, where 'exactly' are these bars you speak of?  ;)

Said it before and will unashamedly say it again, I lived in Germany for 5 years and you'll not find a bad city in the country.
    If you come out of the front of Hotel Cristall turn 180 degrees left side and go under the railway bridge up the main street you will find several bars dotted along the street. Beer is cheap but observed one way in and one way out. 

I once stayed in this area when there were exhibitions on at the messe and company couldnt get anywhere else for me to stay, found a used jonny in the top drawer of a cabinet and loads of used toilet rooll in another. Not pleasant.