Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe | Easter Monday | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Scunthorpe United
Easter Monday ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brett Hextable (Devon)

Introduction
Well its tough to take but you cant argue that the holiday periods over the course of the season have hurt us... A total of four games have so far been played over Christmas / New Year / Easter and all that Charlton can show for it is three points. Good Friday saw the latest defeat; Oxford continue to prove to be a bogey team of late, a 2-1 loss confining the Addicks to the Play-Offs for the second year on the trot... This Monday we welcome struggling Scunthorpe United to the Valley, its a tough period for Lee Bowyer, on one had we need that form back, on the other its time to rest players in preparation for the challenge ahead

The Opposition
Name: Scunthorpe United | Manager: Andy Dawson
Ground: Glanford Park

Sigh!!... three Managers in a season!!... Never works does it!!... After having an impressive season last time out (only just missing out themselves on promotion via. the Play-Offs) you'd have thought that Scunny would be rivals to our own promotion hopes once again this term - Following the surprise sacking of Graham Alexander; Scunthorpe would appoint their own version of Lee Bowyer in Nick Daws and after early results appeared to be an inspired choice...

Despite drawing the majority of their early games it was decided before the end of August that Daws wasn't the right man and was replaced with the experienced Stuart McCall - McCall's own start wasn't much different but certainly took charge of one of the most remarkable games this season; Charlton would travel to Lincolnshire once again as a form team, a crazy opening thirty eight minutes (starting with the loss of Lewis Page that we've felt ever since) would see the Iron leading 3-2 at half-time, Charlton would once again get back into the game but a couple of contentious refereeing decisions would see the points staying with the home side.

Between the end of the year though that was as good as it got for Scunthorpe, they'd win just two more games and so consign themselves (like nearly everyone else) to a remarkable relegation battle; McCall would be sacked at the end of March and Andy Dawson would take over (given the job till the end of the season) - Sitting outside of the relegation zone by just a point, am sure our opponents would appreciate another game like the one witnessed at Glanford Park this season, one thing is certain that we'll go into the last day of the season with god knows how many futures still to be decided!!

Charlton Team News
As already mentioned its the Play-Offs that are the route that Charlton must take if they want to return to the Championship this term - Of course automatics arent mathematically over yet apart from a complete melt down from three teams who have shown consistency over the course of the season its highly unlikely... At risk of repeating myself it becomes a case of Bowyer now having to juggle a team who have struggled with injuries this season and getting our form back - The likes of George Lapslie and Albie Morgan have been reliable at times this season so could earn starts on Monday afternoon.

The most debatable decision to come out of the Oxford clash was the resting of Naby Sarr - Having done little wrong this term (becoming one of our best players) the Frenchman was rested in favour of Jason Pearce who himself did little wrong in the defeat, you'd expect Naby to return to the team in the usual shake up - Ben Purrington was one of two absentees on Friday along with Igor Vetokele; you'd hope that the former can certainly return and so add balance back to the Defence!!

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Sarr
Aribo | Cullen | Pratley
Morgan
Taylor | Parker

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Stevenson | Lapslie | Reeves | Williams | Bielik | Fosu

Prediction
All that matters now is ensuring that we enter the Play-Offs with a bit of form so its important that we dont lose any of the next three and so damage confidence ahead of what'll be at least two big Semi-Final games - Scunthorpe though will be coming to the Valley battling for every point so wont just lay back and let us walk over them; Andy Dawson has just one point from his three games in charge though so this is equally a chance to put another run together!!

Comments

• Frustrating below par game which will lead to the majority of ‘supporters’ saying we are going to lose in the play offs
    Which is why we need to keep the  momentum going for the last three games. The non-stop support will make the difference in the play-offs so keeping the charlton faithful positive will be key. Any nervousness or negativity from the stands will transfer to the pitch otherwise. 
  • Great preview as always FA, Back on track 3-0 to us COYRS!!!
  • We must look to try and finish 4th so that we play the 2nd leg of the playoffs at the valley .
    So a win is paramount. 
    3.1 Charlton Lyle and Igor both scoring. 
  • Chris Solly in the starting line-up is a bold call. It's almost like you didn't see the tackle he made. The FA will bat this one away like a pesky fly. Anyway I would like to see Dijksteel get a few under his belt
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • On Ben Purrington’s health…

“It’s going to be tight (for Ben to play on Monday), we hope (he will). He woke up this morning with a sickness bug so he obviously couldn’t play. We sent him home, so we’re hoping he recovers in time for Monday.”

On if Lewis Page will play…

“If not (Ben) then Pagey will definitely be in. We’ve got no choice, obviously Solly is now suspended and if Ben ain’t well then we’ve only got Lewis left so we’ll look to bring him in.”

On Igor Vetokele’s health…

“It was always going to be a risk playing him Saturday (Plymouth), Tuesday (Wycombe), Saturday (Luton) like we did last week and unfortunately his hamstring has not recovered in time.

"I don't know if he'll be ready for Monday. We'll see how he goes in training on Saturday and Sunday, weigh it up and see where we are then."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cbc2a042e6b7/bowyer-on-purringtons-health-and-fitness-of-page-and-vetokele

• Leuth said:
    Chris Solly in the starting line-up is a bold call. It's almost like you didn't see the tackle he made. The FA will bat this one away like a pesky fly. Anyway I would like to see Dijksteel get a few under his belt
    It’s not a bold call. We have appealed against the red card so Solly can play. 
  • Leuth said:
    Chris Solly in the starting line-up is a bold call. It's almost like you didn't see the tackle he made. The FA will bat this one away like a pesky fly. Anyway I would like to see Dijksteel get a few under his belt
    It’s not a bold call. We have appealed against the red card so Solly can play. 
    But then if the appeal fails & he gets a 4 match ban (due to it being his 2nd red card this season) then he misses both play off games. 
  • I didn't know that rule about getting to play if there's an appeal! A very weird one 
  • Sponsored links:

• Frustrating below par game which will lead to the majority of ‘supporters’ saying we are going to lose in the play offs
    When we lost a to Scunny last year everyone said that was the end of our play-off chances and the rest is history. OK we lost out in the play-offs when we got there. But hopefully this year it will act as a good omen.
  • Don't rush the sick or lame for the sake of it ,and I don't think LB will, 2-1.
  • edited April 2019
    As mentioned above, Scunthorpe inflicted the unwanted record of most goals scored against us this season in a 5-3 defeat.
    Like Friday's game, perhaps coincidentally, Solly played most of the game at left back in what was a shambolic defensive display. We have improved out of sight since then.
    We are 99% sure of a play off place, the Iron are desperate to avoid relegation, this game will come down to the proverbial 'who wants it more' ? Hopes of a top two finish for us are now dashed, I wouldn't blame Bowyer if he told his players to take it a bit easy in preparation for the play offs. 

Draw .. CAFC 1 v Scunthorpe United 1 
  • It's gonna be another tight game , I reckon 1-0 to us , Cullen with the goal and back to winning ways.
  • Not sure we will win if we don’t play two up top. Hoping for the right team selection and another 3 points.
  • Saturday was such a blow to momentum that I almost can’t be bothered with this one. No risks should be taken with anyone who is not completely fit. The result doesn’t really matter much and Scunthorpe are rubbish so we should be able to see them off whatever team Bows selects (yeah right!). Might cut the grass instead. No of course I won’t but enthusiasm is not at all high for this one. 
  • Saturday was such a blow to momentum that I almost can’t be bothered with this one. No risks should be taken with anyone who is not completely fit. The result doesn’t really matter much and Scunthorpe are rubbish so we should be able to see them off whatever team Bows selects (yeah right!). Might cut the grass instead. No of course I won’t but enthusiasm is not at all high for this one. 
    Fully understand where you are coming from but the result matters enormously .
    Finish 4th and 2nd leg of the playoffs are at the valley .
    Finish 5th and we have a Thursday or Friday night game away. 
  • Getting 4th be difficult now as the gap is now 4 points. We need one of Sunderland or Pompey to slump now while we need to win all 3 remaining games
  • As mentioned above, Scunthorpe inflicted the unwanted record of most goals scored against us this season in a 5-3 defeat.
    Like Friday's game, perhaps coincidentally, Solly played most of the game at left back in what was a shambolic defensive display. We have improved out of sight since then.
    We are 99% sure of a play off place, the Iron are desperate to avoid relegation, this game will come down to the proverbial 'who wants it more' ? Hopes of a top two finish for us are now dashed, I wouldn't blame Bowyer if he told his players to take it a bit easy in preparation for the play offs. 

Draw .. CAFC 1 v Scunthorpe United 1 
    I think you'll find that we are not only 100% guaranteed a play off play place we are also guaranteed not to finish lower than 5th. 

To the game itself.....

Been told by Golfie Jnr that Scunny are another one of our bogey teams. After my exuberance of going for a 3-0 win at Oxford (Yes, you can all blame me) I'm now reverting to type & going for a 2-1 defeat......along with defeats in our last 2 games also. 

Nothing is simple where CAFC is concerned. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I expect us to comfortably win tomorrow and the final home game against Rochdale. I’ve always thought the last two away games would provide more of a challenge 
  • edited April 2019
    I have got “revenge required” tattooed on my forehead for tomorrow’s game.
    Anyone who was at the Scunny game earlier in the season will have no problem knowing what I am taking about. Just how we went in at halftime having not put the game out of sight was a mystery I won’t forget in a hurry......we absolutely tore them to pieces, playing some of the best stuff we have all season, yet went in 3-1 down, they hardly got a sniff but somehow we contrived to let in 3.......they couldn’t believe their luck......3 attempts on goal and 3 goals scored.
    The second half was more even but even then we were still the better side......how the score line ended up 5-3 is one of those football mysteries that occur once in a while.
    It needs putting to rights.....I want revenge with a capital R!
  • 1 - 1 bore. Eyes on bigger things.
  • Snore fest.  Happy Easter.
    Fully understand where you are coming from but the result matters enormously .
    Finish 4th and 2nd leg of the playoffs are at the valley .
    Finish 5th and we have a Thursday or Friday night game away. 
    Friday night in Sunderland bring it on
  • We should be too strong for them.

Comfortable home win 1-0.
  • Getting 4th be difficult now as the gap is now 4 points. We need one of Sunderland or Pompey to slump now while we need to win all 3 remaining games
    And we really need Sunderland and Portsmouth to draw with each other this Saturday
  • Hopefully this is the first of the last six games we play in the third division for a very long time.

If it isn't, I can see us losing Taylor to a £1m offer, none of the players out of contract re-signing except in desperation if they can't get a better gig elsewhere, Bowyer walking because Roland doesn't send a proper contract offer (see the latest VoTV), and us being nowhere near the top six next year.

So, no pressure then.
  • Hopefully this is the first of the last six games we play in the third division for a very long time.

If it isn't, I can see us losing Taylor to a £1m offer, none of the players out of contract re-signing except in desperation if they can't get a better gig elsewhere, Bowyer walking because Roland doesn't send a proper contract offer (see the latest VoTV), and us being nowhere near the top six next year.

So, no pressure then.
    What about Jacko? Does he go or does he get promoted to be gaffer?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!