Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Play-Off 2019 Final Match Thread - CHARLTON v

Comments

• Charlton's Wembley record so far  

1943 War Cup Southern Final L v Arsenal 
    1944 War Cup Southern Final W v Chelsea 
    1946 FA Cup Final L v Derby 
    1947 FA Cup Final W v Burnley 
    1987 Full Members' Cup Final L v Blackburn 
    1998 Play-off Final W v Sunderland 

LWLWLW

We are due a defeat. 

• CatAddick said:

I was one of the 1,200'ish there that night.

Whilst we will never know, I am certain that if we were to have lost this game we would have not had the success that followed.

This victory will always be more important than 1998.  I dread to think what would have come of the club being in the second division playing to crowds of 3,000 at Sainsburys.

Long live Sir Lennie and Peter Shirtliff.
    Was it ticketed?  I seem to remember paying on the gate.  I’ve still got the programme/teamsheet and I would have expected to have kept a ticket.

Totally agree that it was the most important game I’ve ever seen 
    I seem to recall going to Sainsburys to collect tickets.

However, there must have been cash turnstiles as there were a 'few' Leeds in our end.
  • Chizz said:
    Charlton's Wembley record so far  

LWLWLW

We are due a defeat. 

Yet we've also won the two Play-Off Finals that we've been involved in...
  • Threads like this and singing songs like "Robbo what's the score" when 1-0 up yesterday are the kind of things that come back to bite us.
    I agree.....like gloating that we sent the Palace down ??.
    We're still paying the price for all that gloating to this day.

At least Palace were already down when we did it.

• I was one of the 1,200'ish there that night.

Whilst we will never know, I am certain that if we were to have lost this game we would have not had the success that followed.

This victory will always be more important than 1998.  I dread to think what would have come of the club being in the second division playing to crowds of 3,000 at Sainsburys.

I was there too. I can't recall a more intimidating atmosphere than that produced by the Leeds fans. Even the women and children exuded menace that evening.
  • Chizz said:

LWLWLW

We are due a defeat. 

Both against Ipswich Town....can not play them again until 2020
  • Chizz said:

LWLWLW

We are due a defeat. 

Both against Ipswich Town....can not play them again until 2020
    I thought our Play-Off Finals were against Leeds and Sunderland...
  • I think he meant we played them in both semis those years.
  • CatAddick said:

I was one of the 1,200'ish there that night.

Was it ticketed?  I seem to remember paying on the gate.  I’ve still got the programme/teamsheet and I would have expected to have kept a ticket.

Totally agree that it was the most important game I’ve ever seen 

Was a memorable night indeed for those of us who were there. If we had lost the financial implications don't bear thinking about. We find ourselves in a similar predicament now; whether we go up or stay where we are the future of our club whilst in the hands of Roland D. is worrying me more than the approaching play-offs.

• Sponsored links:

• Wow this is a bit of a jump the gun, I am not sure whether I like it or whether its cringey! hopefully we will be posting in it come the final of the playoffs.
  • Seen a comment on Facebook that if we win our last two games and improve our goal difference by 4 we will match our record from 1998 when we finished 4th of P46 W26 D10 L10 PTS88 GD31

And we could also possibly play a team in blue in the semi finals (Portsmouth) with Sunderland in the Final.
  • edited April 2019
    I think Bowyer will rest a few against Gills. Igor won't play, I'll predict that from what he said after the Scunthorpe game. The fear would be that they will be too keen to beat us. Rochdale is a better play off prep game with it being at home and them being safe. if I was him, I'd play Marshall and Fosu at Gillingham.

I think Sunderland at home first would suit us. They would have an eye on the away leg and be there for the taking.
  • I think Bowyer will rest a few against Gills. Igor won't play, I'll predict that from what he said after the Scunthorpe game. The fear would be that they will be too keen to beat us. Rochdale is a better play off prep game with it being at home and them being safe. if I was him, I'd play Marshall and Fosu at Gillingham.
    I would rather played a team that could actually beat Gillingham.
  • I think you can still put out a team that might beat them, but beating them is not a priority for us.
  • I think Bowyer will rest a few against Gills. Igor won't play, I'll predict that from what he said after the Scunthorpe game. The fear would be that they will be too keen to beat us. Rochdale is a better play off prep game with it being at home and them being safe. if I was him, I'd play Marshall and Fosu at Gillingham.

I think Sunderland at home first would suit us. They would have an eye on the away leg and be there for the taking.
    Unsure about this one

Bowyer made comments about Igor's fitness and was worried that leaving him out against Scunthorpe would see Igor being affected by the hard work that he's been putting in on the training ground and so lose the energy he'd gotten back for the Luton game

Reckon it'll be a similar case to the Scunthorpe game where Igor will start yet wont play the full 90-mins
  • I think you can still put out a team that might beat them, but beating them is not a priority for us.
    I agree, but I don’t think it is in Bows DNA to play a team that he does not think good enough to win and may also be looking at those that maybe required to play a part in the playoffs. In my opinion those two are not contenders for the playoffs because he does not think they are good enough. Neither has performed well enough this season.

He he also has to consider match fitness and momentum alongside the chance of injury. I think Vetokele will start and play 75 minutes. Bielick is the one I am not sure about, but if fit I would expect him to play some part. Page may also get a run out at some point. If he is not fit enough now, maybe Stephenson may get a start as we need back up at left back.
  • edited April 2019
    He may give Vetokele a half - but seeing as we don't have a replacement for him I think he will leave him out and start him against Rochdale. The best chance Gills have of beating us is kicking us off the park and there is a rivalry so it is a dangerous game in that respect. Plus, you always want to win your last home game. I'd give Bauer a rest too. Midfield I'd go with Lapslie, Marshall, Cullen and Reeves and I'd have Parker and Fosu up front. I'd say to Marshall, Fosu and Parker - this is your shop window.

I think he would want to start with our best eleven against Rochdale, but make early subs in readiness for the play offs. If you have the advantage of knowing you are in them without having to go all out to win games, then you have to use it. Gills might be a good opportunity to give Maxwell some minutes. You have to remember that some of teh fringe players may be needed. Hopefully not, but a competitive game will only help us.
  • I have no idea if we will make the final; I have no idea if we make it who we will play; or what the score will be.

But one thing I am absolutely certain of though is if we make the final that the allocation and distribution of 40,000 tickets in an 8 day period will be an absolute shambles as the club's administrative and ticketing systems totally fail to cope with the extra demand placed on it.

To make things remotely workable, stand-by for the club to allow all season ticket holders to buy 6 tickets each, leaving just a few thousand for the staff to allocate to the great unwashed. 

(PS And before anyone says it, I know its not the fault of the people working in the ticket office that things will be chaotic. They certainly can't work miracles when faced with a huge spiral in demand,  a membership system that is totally ****ed  and a rickety ticketing system).  
  • Sponsored links:

• they have had quite a while to plan for it. I presume the points you gain buying tickets for games count for something.
  • they have had quite a while to plan for it. I presume the points you gain buying tickets for games count for something.

Mutley, with the greatest respect, do you think the club plans for anything these days?

If we play in the semi on the Friday evening, there will only be 7 days before the final. It's hard to see how the system can give any real benefit to people with points for buying tickets because of the lack of time.

So are we all going to have to queue up on the Sunday for 8 hours (same as Man Utd away all these years ago)? Can we just buy tickets on the club's system - doubtful I should have thought. Or are we back in the hands of Ticketmaster?

No, this has chaos written all over it. 

Mutley, with the greatest respect, do you think the club plans for anything these days?

If we play in the semi on the Friday evening, there will only be 7 days before the final. It's hard to see how the system can give any real benefit to people with points for buying tickets because of the lack of time.

So are we all going to have to queue up on the Sunday for 8 hours (same as Man Utd away all these years ago)? Can we just buy tickets on the club's system - doubtful I should have thought. Or are we back in the hands of Ticketmaster?

To be fair ANY L1 team would struggle to sell that volume of tickets in a short period of time. 

I imagine the club will use Ticketmaster again for the home match and for the final. With 40000 tickets available for the final, it's not as if they will have to massively restrict sales per customer anyway

I can't remember how they sold the away tickets last season
  • It worries me when people look too far ahead, counting chickens before they hatch etc

But returning to the key issues, what route will the open top bus take?
    For when we win the Championship next year you mean?
  • edited April 2019
    It worries me when people look too far ahead, counting chickens before they hatch etc

But returning to the key issues, what route will the open top bus take?
    For when we win the Championship next year you mean?
    No when we win the Champions League in three years ;)

To be fair ANY L1 team would struggle to sell that volume of tickets in a short period of time. 

I imagine the club will use Ticketmaster again for the home match and for the final. With 40000 tickets available for the final, it's not as if they will have to massively restrict sales per customer anyway

I can't remember how they sold the away tickets last season
    Arthur Daley Enterprises 
  • Bump bump bump bump bump
  • edited May 2019
    V Sunderland Afc 😀
    Can mods edit thread title please, once they've sobered up⚽️😀