Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rest players or regain momentum?

With it effectively being confirmed we'll be in the playoffs now the question for Bowyer is whether or not to rest players and not care about results in our last 3 games or go for the wins and be on a good run going in to the playoffs.

For me, we should play our strongest team, get as many wins as possible and keep the feel good factor heading in to the playoffs. The team that wins the playoffs is often the team on best form and I really think our final day loss at Rochdale last season had a part to play as to why we never got going against Shrewsbury.

What do you think?

Comments

• Its a tough one as think we need to do a bit of both

We've not got the greatest of records when it comes to injuries and with Purrington / Vetokele being absent today that luck doesnt seem to be ending any time soon

At the same time we cant go into the Play-Offs having lost the four games prior as that'll be a disaster in my opinion

Just like the Sarr v Pearce debate ahead of Luton; I really dont want to be in Lee's shoes!!
  • I think we are favourites with our best team. Taylor gets injured or suspended our chances would slip massively. That has to play on the manager's mind. Look at Bowyer's approach to cups. The important game now is the first play off game. 

With our squad, we have good cover in some areas and poor in others. There is also the point of making sure your back up players are ready if needed. We won't lose all four, but if we lose two, I don't think it matters. 
  • Play your best team, keep winning, keep the momentum going. Make changes and form drops it’s hard to then get back in the groove.
  • edited April 2019
    What’s up with Vetokele?
  • Talal said:
    I'd rest a few for Scunthorpe, then a different few for Gillingham, then play best team against Rochdale.
    This is what I'd probably do myself if I were Lee
  • edited April 2019
    He had a tight hamstring. Minor but you have to be careful as it could be a prelude to a long injury if he played. He won't be risked until it is deemed 100% safe.
  • The tear drops from our fans when other clubs did what’s best for them by resting players against our relegation rivals ...
    was it Liverpool against Fulham back in the prem days ...
    we should do what’s best for us and not Scunthorpe’s relegation rivals , in Lee Bowyer we trust 
  • I still want us to break into the top four so we get the second leg at home. Therefore carry on with a full strength team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rest players
  • Rest Lyle for two of the last three games. If he gets injured/suspended, we're totally screwed. He's the one player in the whole squad that could be said about.  

I would go all Spain Euro 2012, with Jonny as the Fabregas false No 9 (it's all relative). And if that goes all Pete Tong, shove Naby up there. No point playing Parker - may as well play me instead.
    Not in them boots, get yourself a new pair and you're in with a shout 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    Rest Lyle for two of the last three games. If he gets injured/suspended, we're totally screwed. He's the one player in the whole squad that could be said about.  

I would go all Spain Euro 2012, with Jonny as the Fabregas false No 9 (it's all relative). And if that goes all Pete Tong, shove Naby up there. No point playing Parker - may as well play me instead.

Did you see Parker's free kick today? I could have done that. KKBs.
  • edited April 2019
    RedChaser said:
    Rest Lyle for two of the last three games. If he gets injured/suspended, we're totally screwed. He's the one player in the whole squad that could be said about.  

I did on ifollow, my first thought was 'no surely not it's a ploy', and then when no one else shaped up I was gobsmacked. My reaction on the match thread after he had scuffed it along the floor was 'Oh my days'!
  • Taylor and Fosu up front 
  • RedChaser said:

It was better than Cullens v Luton after the rash challenge by their keeper. And better than than the last couple by Grant before he left. 

Then again the competition isn't that strong on the free kick count. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Taylor and Fosu up front 
    I'd certainly bring Fosu back into the fold. Yes, he's had a mediocre time over the last few months, but get him right mentally, and he's the one player in the squad who can really turn things around when he comes on as an impact player.

Personally, I'd also now wrap Taylor in cotton wool until the playoffs. The one player who is irreplaceable in my opinion. 

Fosu as a false no 9, a la Hazard - that could work! (not letting this go...)
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with the posts above, bring Fosu and Marshall back, see if they can offer any kind of form before the play offs, and wrap Taylor up in cotton wool. I'd probably add Bielik and Igor to that too.
  • If Bowyer brought Fosu and Marshall back surely they would be busting a gut to get MOM and put themselves in the frame for the playoffs whilst resting and protecting some others. That said, for all their potential and because they are not in the team, you get rose tinted glasses and forget how cack they have been in influencing any game this season pretty much.
  • Momentum is brittle as we've shown. Spank the league leaders then lose to a pile of shit team like Oxford. So yeah I pick regain players.
  • The fact Shrewsbury rested players last year made a huge difference in our games against them.
  • Would rest players.  We have Taylor who is crucial to our chances and others made of glass like Beilik, Williams and Vet.

my job entails sitting at a desk so hardly comparable but i know if i have two weeks off i come back with an ability to think clearer and work harder for the first 90 mins of my first day back !
  • Just keep going with our strongest side one match at a time...it ain’t over until it’s over...
  • Just keep going with our strongest side one match at a time...it ain’t over until it’s over...
    That's a crazy approach.

We are 6 points behind Barnsley, and we are 4 points behind Sunderland & Pompey and they have to play each other, so 1 of them could be 7 ahead, and at best they will both be 5 ahead..........and we have a worse goal difference. There is no way that those 3 sides will not manage another win all season.

Bowyer will get slaughtered if (for example) Taylor, Bielik or Cullen get injured in a game they don't need to play in. Yes i get injuries can happen at any time, but there's no need to risk them unnecessarily. 

The other sides have to play full strength sides and go for it, we can arrive at the play offs fresh and raring to go.