Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Family days out in London

Trying to think of something good to do with our youngest daughter (she's 4) as we have a Monday together just the two of us in a few weeks and I'd like to make the most of it before she starts school and it happens less and only during busy weekends and holidays etc.

Probably in London, we've been to the normal NH Museum & Science Museum before.

Any good ideas?

Comments

• Horniman Museum in Forest Hill is one of the best for kids. 
  • Trip to the Valley?
  • Hyde Park is fabulous. Looking at the ‘Timeout London’ website is also worth doing.
  • edited April 2019
    Join the Climate Change Protests -it’s her future or the London Museum. 
  • Museum of childhood, bethnal green is good for younger children. A ride on the Clipper boats from Greenwich into London and back or by the DLR is different.  The boats really shift and is fun for kids.
  • both of mine loved London aquarium around that age 
    Took my two last weekend, 8yr old and 3yr old. They both really enjoyed it as did I. Penguins, sharks, jellyfish and lots more. Good weather proof option and if it is a nice day you could get the boat along the Thames as mentioned above.
    Shrek World is next door if she likes Shrek. Ive not been there but it seemed very popular last week.
  • Both the NH Museum and the Science Museum are fantastic, but never go in the school holidays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perfect for a 4 year old I should think Neil:

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/openspace/farm
  • Greenwich is a good day out. There’s a big play area in the park, the indoor market’s open on a Monday, Maritime Museum etc and plenty of decent places to eat.

I second that. Greenwich has to be one of my favourite places. Best view in London from up by the Wolfe statue.
  • Imperial War Museum,  used to love going there with my dad
    Took my two last weekend, 8yr old and 3yr old. They both really enjoyed it as did I. Penguins, sharks, jellyfish and lots more. Good weather proof option and if it is a nice day you could get the boat along the Thames as mentioned above.
    Shrek World is next door if she likes Shrek. Ive not been there but it seemed very popular last week.
    The aquarium is great, whatever you do, do not go to Shrek.  Absolutely dismal and my 4 year old cried all the way around as we were chased by witches.  Thanks goodness i ised tesco vouchers rather than £90 odd of my own money.
  • horse riding at Mottingham farm then drive or bus down to the Barrier and walk along to the Eco park (bugs and things) then cinema at the O2.
  • The Clipper from Woolwich is good. A relatively cheap boat trip. 
    Then at the Southbank there's the aquarium.
    Then go to and up the Monument.
    DLR, front seat, back to SE London from Bank.
    Greenwich - Maritime Museum and/or Greenwich Park.
    If you want a cheap lunch detour to Govinda's in Soho Square.
    The aquarium is great, whatever you do, do not go to Shrek.  Absolutely dismal and my 4 year old cried all the way around as we were chased by witches.  Thanks goodness i ised tesco vouchers rather than £90 odd of my own money.
    Shrek is good. 
    Went last year with 7 and 5 year old and they loved it. 

• edited April 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    both of mine loved London aquarium around that age 
    Shrek is good. 

Fair enough, we all see things differently.  

My experience was queuing for an hour for something that lasted a little longer than an hour. Then the 3d bus ride which was great but probably 5mins before you crash and kill a witch meaning that you go into a story where her mates are chasing you for an hour which just scared my 4 year old girl.

amazingly, the first time we saw Shrek was right at the very end when out pops a bloke dressed as Shrek as you are walking out so you can have your picture taken with him and pay them more money to buy it afterwards.

would definitely recommend The Thames Clipper, the Acquarium, Hornimans.  Probably too your but Battersea Park has a good playground, pizza parlour, high ropes, plus loads of space to run in.  Mine also like Mudchute farm
  • Sponsored links:

• Sky garden is free and better than the eye.
  • Cheers for the suggestions everyone.

Hornimans is winning so far I think, not least because they have an enormous rabbit and my daughter is bunny obsessed.

• edited April 2019
    Solidgone said:
    Join the Brexit Protests -it’s her future or the London Museum. 

• Cheers for the suggestions everyone.

Hornimans is winning so far I think, not least because they have an enormous rabbit and my daughter is bunny obsessed.

If you've not been before then be prepared for the "weird" factor.

In some places it looks like it's a museum of Victorian taxidermy. Bad Victorian taxidermy. Not quite foxes sitting in deckchairs or playing the banjo, but not too far off it.
  • Perfect for a 4 year old I should think Neil:

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/openspace/farm
    Tempted by Mudchute Farm too - anyone been?
  • edited April 2019
    Yep, for a city farm it is decent enough and free but there isn’t loads of stuff, wiuld maybe take up 45mins-1hour plus a cafe on site.  There is a riding school which i assume you could maybe book before (never tried).  My kids still enjoy the experience of sitting at the front of the dlr thinking they are driving it en route.

Crystal Palace farm is small but decent and free and could be paired with Hornimans if you have a car, plus there are some dinosaurs to look at in the park, a playground and used to be peddelos.

neither Mudchute or CP farm beat the likes of Godstone farm, Hobbledown (Epsom) or the best in good weather, Drusilla’s (down near the coast) which is excellent - think zoo/fair ground rides/water park/adventure playground.
  • Off_it said:

If you've not been before then be prepared for the "weird" factor.

In some places it looks like it's a museum of Victorian taxidermy. Bad Victorian taxidermy. Not quite foxes sitting in deckchairs or playing the banjo, but not too far off it.
    Children will remember their first trip to The Den
  • Yep, for a city farm it is decent enough and free but there isn’t loads of stuff, wiuld maybe take up 45mins-1hour plus a cafe on site.  There is a riding school which i assume you could maybe book before (never tried).  My kids still enjoy the experience of sitting at the front of the dlr thinking they are driving it en route.

Crystal Palace farm is small but decent and free and could be paired with Hornimans if you have a car, plus there are some dinosaurs to look at in the park, a playground and used to be peddelos.

neither Mudchute or CP farm beat the likes of Godstone farm, Hobbledown (Epsom) or the best in good weather, Drusilla’s (down near the coast) which is excellent - think zoo/fair ground rides/water park/adventure playground.
    I'm in my mid fifties and still love doing that! Let's face there's only two categories of people that don't: Those that ground down by a daily commute to Canary Wharf and those who were completely soulless anyway.

How did it go, Neil? Did you visit the Horniman's? How did it go down?
  • MrOneLung said:
    both of mine loved London aquarium around that age 
    Shrek is good. 

Yep took my littleun for her 9th bday good Friday,she really enjoyed,as me & mum did too...could see why maybe not suitable for a 4yr old tho...
  • Stig said:
    Yep, for a city farm it is decent enough and free but there isn’t loads of stuff, wiuld maybe take up 45mins-1hour plus a cafe on site.  There is a riding school which i assume you could maybe book before (never tried).  My kids still enjoy the experience of sitting at the front of the dlr thinking they are driving it en route.

I'm in my mid fifties and still love doing that! Let's face there's only two categories of people that don't: Those that ground down by a daily commute to Canary Wharf and those who were completely soulless anyway.

How did it go, Neil? Did you visit the Horniman's? How did it go down?
    It's not until next week so still trying to decide!

My kids love sitting at the front of the DLR, still young enough to believe they are driving it if you tell them to push the handrail at the right time too.