Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford v Charlton | Good Friday | 1pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• 1-1 and play-offs beckon though I hope we can nick a win and keep the outside chance of autos alive for a bit longer
  • We'll snatch this one 3-2 It'll be full of goals, Oxford are conceding (Only 6 clean sheets since 01/01/19) but they're also scoring freely.

Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
    Aribo | Cullen | Lapslie
    Williams
    Taylor | Vetokele
    Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pearce | Bielik | Reeves | Pratley | Parker
  • MrLargo said:
    ... only one Charlton manager has ever lost a home league game to Oxford (Clues: his first name sort of rhymes with "banal", his last name sounds a bit like "robbing scum") ...
    I cannot remember any manager called Anal Rubbing Bum. Was he Belgian?
    Is he related to Anil Koc?
  • I just know from many years of following this football club that I expect a kick in the bollocks more than a gentle tickle. 

BUT I will suspend my natural urges to say, I fully expect the Addicks to win on Friday.   There!

• I just know from many years of following this football club that I expect a kick in the bollocks more than a gentle tickle. 

Are you Bielik?
  • I fancy him to go with Pearce over Sarr and Pratley over Reeves, like you say, a turgid affair awaits us.
    I think he'll go Pearce over Sarr on Monday
    Agreed - I think we will see a few changes on Monday with an eye on keeping players fresh and ready. Oxford is the game that is most likely to require our best team and Sarr is currently in that group.
  • 1-1 Bye Autos :smile:

• I am going to shout myself hoarse at this game. We need a win. 

Not forgetting that it was KR that brought LB home to CAFC so I expect old wobbly bits will be claiming credit whatever the result. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Difficult but why not 0-1 and the wagon keeps on rolling. 
  • Nervy about this one as Oxford are playing well. 1-1
  • Havent they won like the last 3 out of 4 against us if you count cup games?
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Havent they won like the last 3 out of 4 against us if you count cup games?
    About time they lost then 
  • 21 Jan 2014Oxford United v Charlton AthleticW0-3FA Cup
    24 Sep 2016Oxford United v Charlton AthleticD1-1League One
    21 Feb 2017Charlton Athletic v Oxford UnitedL0-1League One
    17 Oct 2017Oxford United v Charlton AthleticD1-1League One
    09 Jan 2018Charlton Athletic v Oxford UnitedL1-1Football League Trophy
    03 Feb 2018Charlton Athletic v Oxford UnitedL2-3League One
    23 Oct 2018Charlton Athletic v Oxford UnitedD1-1League One
  • Bogey team. Hoping we can do the business this time...
  • We should win this. 0-1. 
  • There is no reason not to go for it. A draw or defeat will still be acceptable given our league position, but a win would ramp things up every which ways.
  • Will be in Kanazawa for this one, eating sea grapes and sea urchins for starter (2:0 to the Karls) but will come back with horse meat shavings in raw egg (Sarr hat trick) 2:3 final score, hard to swallow, but anything for 2nd spot. COYR
    And whale steak for mains?
  • Robinson will look to be a spoiler and I see this as ending 1 - 1
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    I think this will be our biggest win of the season. 5-1
  • Will be in Kanazawa for this one, eating sea grapes and sea urchins for starter (2:0 to the Karls) but will come back with horse meat shavings in raw egg (Sarr hat trick) 2:3 final score, hard to swallow, but anything for 2nd spot. COYR
    And whale steak for mains?
    Sorry, on a 'Karl free' diet
  • I fancy him to go with Pearce over Sarr and Pratley over Reeves, like you say, a turgid affair awaits us.
    Either or, I just think Scunthorpe are gonna come for a point so Sarr acts as another midfielder when we are attacking in that game.
    Fair point, but the way Pearce got the winner against Wycombe, you could say he acts as another forward when we're in their box.
    Either or, I just think Scunthorpe are gonna come for a point so Sarr acts as another midfielder when we are attacking in that game.
    Fair point, but the way Pearce got the winner against Wycombe, you could say he acts as another forward when we're in their box.
    Sorry to be a party pooper BUT 20 goals in 418 appearances over 12 seasons (5 different League clubs) for Jason Pearce makes me believe your being a tad optimistic !
  • Dazzler21 said:
    21 Jan 2014Oxford United v Charlton AthleticW0-3FA Cup
    Grim record against them.
  • 2-1 Oxford - dont feel confident.
    Sorry to be a party pooper BUT 20 goals in 418 appearances over 12 seasons (5 different League clubs) for Jason Pearce makes me believe your being a tad optimistic !
    Ill be curious to know in how many of those appearances that Pearce going for the ball and putting his marker in trouble helps to the ball to his team mates feet to scramble over the line.

CB's are pretty much battering rams at corners...go for it regardless, if you score then great just make sure you get something on it to keep it in the box.
  • Feeling a bit pessimistic about this, I think this will be a tough game and Oxford will be fired up.

As an aside it feels a bit wrong to keep alternating Sarr and Pearce alongside Bauer. It's not as if Sarr needs to rest, CBs generally don't use the energy that the rest of the outfield players use. If anyone needs to be managed carefully it's Taylor who's played an awful lot of minutes and tends to give 110% every game with his running. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    21 Jan 2014Oxford United v Charlton AthleticW0-3FA Cup
    Grim record against them.
    Grim managers in the middle five of those matches: Patience Slade and Motormouth Robinson.

In Lord Bowyer's match last October we had Steer in goal and a back four of Dijksteel, Pratley, Pearce, and Solly; Taylor scored a first half penalty and Oxford equalised with 20 minutes to go.

We'll have a stronger team tomorrow and a bigger incentive to get the job done: only a win will maintain our hopes of an automatic promotion place.

I expect us to get the job done - a 2-0 win, Igor and Lyle again - and put a shed-load of pressure on Barnsley, Pompey, and Sunderland before their matches later in the day ... and at least one of those three will crack ...
  • We will win this, I reckon 2-0 and the autos stay alive for another week, cant wait ,Up the Addicks!