Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notre Dame

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    It's taken less than two days to go from "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed" to "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". 
    Who's said that?
    One poster on here, who doesn't want to start an argument, is upset that people object to his negative comments ("ridiculous") about clothes Muslims wear. 

It's so far removed from the subject of the thread that it is, itself, ridiculous. 

Hopefully, all contributions to the refund cost will be welcomed, whatever their source. (That's to get the thread back on track).
    Right, so nobody said "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". Cheers.
    That's right. And nobody said "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed". And I know you can see that those two comments in quote marks were intended as paraphrasing comment, not verbatim repetition. 

Do you think that all communities in France that make contributions to the rebuild should be lauded equally? (Getting the thread back on track. Again).
    Paraphrasing whilst using quotation marks is considered very poor form.

Do you think Muslims - and all other members of French society - should be lauded for contributions to the rebuild fund?  I do.  
    No, I think that money could have been put to much better use helping Parisians, or France as a whole, living in Poverty. I'm sure Notre Dam had an insurance policy to cover the renovations.

The Parisian I work with was furious today, as he believes there are literally a million better uses for this money, after listening to him I could only agree.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    It's taken less than two days to go from "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed" to "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". 
    Who's said that?
    One poster on here, who doesn't want to start an argument, is upset that people object to his negative comments ("ridiculous") about clothes Muslims wear. 

It's so far removed from the subject of the thread that it is, itself, ridiculous. 

Hopefully, all contributions to the refund cost will be welcomed, whatever their source. (That's to get the thread back on track).
    Right, so nobody said "it's so unfair that I can't say unpleasant things about Muslims". Cheers.
    That's right. And nobody said "it's awful that an historic building is in ruins, I hope no-one is injured or killed". And I know you can see that those two comments in quote marks were intended as paraphrasing comment, not verbatim repetition. 

Do you think that all communities in France that make contributions to the rebuild should be lauded equally? (Getting the thread back on track. Again).

Do you think Muslims - and all other members of French society - should be lauded for contributions to the rebuild fund?  I do.  
    No, I think that money could have been put to much better use helping Parisians, or France as a whole, living in Poverty. I'm sure Notre Dam had an insurance policy to cover the renovations.

The Parisian I work with was furious today, as he believes there are literally a million better uses for this money, after listening to him I could only agree.
    But you don't think any specific group should be singled out for criticism for contributing, do you?
  • Options
    I think I made my opinion on religion fairly clear on the previous page:

It's a bunch of crap and should be mocked equally.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    It was and is a massive part of the heritage of France and of Europe.  It symbolises the faith of millions and also the culture of the country, that's why people are so upset, it isn't about a building.

However, absolutely right:  ordinary people suffer calamity with no recognition at all, or a few weasel words in the papers or on the news.  Billionaires should be having money forcibly removed to provide safe housing and other essential services, rather than being able to choose where they are going to "donate" their ill-gotten gains for maximum kudos.  In my opinion, obviously.
    why ?

How about we forcibly remove funds from you to pay for other people less fortunate than you?

This already happens.  it's called income tax and National insurance and council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges.

Next.
    So Billionaires are not subject to income tax, national insurance, council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges then ?

Next.
    Would you concede that some billionaires pay less tax than they are required to?
    that would be illegal and they would be punished.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    It was and is a massive part of the heritage of France and of Europe.  It symbolises the faith of millions and also the culture of the country, that's why people are so upset, it isn't about a building.

However, absolutely right:  ordinary people suffer calamity with no recognition at all, or a few weasel words in the papers or on the news.  Billionaires should be having money forcibly removed to provide safe housing and other essential services, rather than being able to choose where they are going to "donate" their ill-gotten gains for maximum kudos.  In my opinion, obviously.
    why ?

How about we forcibly remove funds from you to pay for other people less fortunate than you?

This already happens.  it's called income tax and National insurance and council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges.

Next.
    So Billionaires are not subject to income tax, national insurance, council tax and VAT and prescription charges and opticians charges and dental charges then ?

Next.
    Would you concede that some billionaires pay less tax than they are required to?
    Half of that sentence seems to be true
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

why ?

Next.

Next.
    A:  Not commensurate to their wealth

B I suspect that the majority invest in tax avoidance.
    To you....
    So you want to change the tax bands ?
    what rate do you suggest for billionaires ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

why ?

Next.

Next.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/19050/jokes/p193
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

why ?

Next.

Next.
    Half of that sentence seems to be true

What? It's legal?

Now where did I put my accountant's number?

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:

Please explain to me how it wasn't due to the actions of a huge invisible metal protecting flying turtle that is attracted to large fires...
    The tweet I saw in response to hers reliably informed her that gold has a much higher melting point than wood that also probably had a lot to do with it 
    Nah. It's definitely the turtles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:

Please explain to me how it wasn't due to the actions of a huge invisible metal protecting flying turtle that is attracted to large fires...
    The tweet I saw in response to hers reliably informed her that gold has a much higher melting point than wood that also probably had a lot to do with it 

Turtles have a higher melting point than gold? Shurely shome mishtake?

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Image result for popcorn gif
    You down Woolwich Odeon again Bobby?
  • Options
    More bollocks than a Br*&it thread...  fair play CL you always step up!
  • Options
    This is freekin awesome 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:

Turtles have a higher melting point than gold? Shurely shome mishtake?

They go down deep, to the cooler water
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Image result for popcorn gif
    You down Woolwich Odeon again Bobby?

ABC, Wellington Street.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Who's said that?

But you don't think any specific group should be singled out for criticism for contributing, do you?
    I'm not sure why, but let me run with this...

I get the feeling you want somebody to reply so you can provide a link to a Muslim group donating money?  Why don't you just post it?
    No.  Trying to get the thread back to Notre Dame.   I don't always agree with everything everyone posts, and in this case, I was looking to find some common ground with @Stu_of_Kunming

• Options

France is to invite architects from around the world to submit their designs for a new spire to sit atop a renovated Notre-Dame cathedral.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told reporters they hoped for "a new spire that is adapted to the techniques and the challenges of our era".

• Options
    Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told reporters they hoped for "a new spire that is adapted to the techniques and the challenges of our era".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Baggsy first go...
    Millions of plastic bottles with a turtle on top.
  • Options
    We gonna get a bent spire?
  • Options
    Just got an email saying the local church bell will ring at 7PM to show solidarity with the people of France ----- ,,,utter utter bollox , no one died ----- maybe the twàts wont to remember the 70 people who did die in Grenfell ,no bells ring for that

This times 100 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!