Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Notre Dame

Comments

• BREAKING NEWS : Police say they ain’t sure how the fire started , but they have a hunch.

I’ll get my coat too....
    Quasimodo tipped his candle over
  • Main bell towers saved according to latest news
    Good news. Also apparently some art and artifacts were evacuated at the last second.
  • bobmunro said:
    At best it will be a shell, as the interior was all wood, but you’ve got to expect severe structural damage after a blaze like this. 

I’m amazed that scaffolding is still standing. 

Based on this drone picture, it sadly looks lost.

Where you watching that Bob, Woolwich Odeon?
  • Just been on Facebook, a friend of mine was there 3 days ago (celebrating her 50th in Paris) and comparing her age with the age of the cathedral :heartbreak:
  • Seen a few renovations catch fire over the years. Too much flammable gets stored close by. Just hope doesn’t happen to the Clock (Elizabeth) Tower. 
  • Notre-Dame's main structure is "saved and preserved" after fire
  • It just breaks my heart. It's such an incredible building. I've only spent a few days in Paris but I made sure to spend at least an hour there just sitting and taking it in every day. I genuinely can't think of another historic building I'd have such a strong reaction to. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Main bell towers saved according to latest news
    Good news. Also apparently some art and artifacts were evacuated at the last second.
    Geezers got his job back

Too late mate, he's already been given the tin tack and fed to the wolves.
  • Off_it said:

That man boils my piss.

Imagine if the French President had tweeted a message telling the American what to do when the twin towers were on fire.

He needs offing.

On the face of it President Trump is offering practical advice whereas Mrs May is offering thoughts and prayers. 
    Go on then, I’ll bite.

What on earth is “practical” about flying water tankers?
    As someone who experienced massive fires up close in Sonoma in 2017, he is even more clueless than that. Helicopters drop water. Most "tankers" drop fire retardant, not water. Copters can drop in specific spots. Tankers are not accurate and drop over large swaths of land to stop fire from spreading. Imagine this over Notre Dame.

• This pic shows how much of the interior was affected.

• From the latest photos of inside it looks like the above pictures are actually showing the structure of the roof on fire rather than the actual inside. 
  • Not half as bad as feared last night. Inside virtually untouched and majority of artefacts are safe. Roof, spire and windows lost but main structure survives.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Now let me see.... who would be angry enough at France and the EU to do something like this? Especially as they’ve been threatening civil disorder if they don’t get what they think was promised? 
  • Now let me see.... who would be angry enough at France and the EU to do something like this? Especially as they’ve been threatening civil disorder if they don’t get what they think was promised? 
    Cor even that’s a bit extreme for CA
  • Off_it said:
    To be fair, if that was St Paul's I would be in tears right now.
    It's been burnt down once before and a better one put in its place.  You'd hope the same would happen if it went up in flames again.
  • edited April 2019
    Awful pictures. After surviving unscathed from all those Nazi bombs during WWII, it's now destroyed by fire.

• Look at the Cutty Sark. They will rebuild it. yes it won't be quite the same, but it will look the same. Most important thing is nobody died.
  • Addickted said:
    Awful pictures. After surviving unscathed from all those Nazi bombs during WWII, it's now destroyed by fire.

Very few Nazi bombs dropped on Paris, more British and American ones, and most of both were on working-class, industrial areas.  Certainly, Hitler wanted his general in charge of the city in '44 to burn it before leaving it for the advancing allies but the bloke had too much good sense and didn't.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!