Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your favourite sporting event.

Has to be the US Masters for me - a unique sporting event in terms of tradition and the test it provides. 
«13

Comments

  • The Ashes
  • US Masters | Tour de France | Wimbledon | World Cup
  • Has to be the Ashes for me. Honourable mentions to World Snooker Champs, World Darts Champs, CL Final, World Cup & Six Nations
  • RAAM

    Race across America
    Cyclists heaven
  • Summer olympics
  • Ashes, Ryder Cup, Euros (until they diluted it) the match quality was normally better than the world cup. 
  • 1. World Cup
    2. Olympics
  • World Cup
  • Sponsored links:


  • World Cup followed by The Ashes
  • World Cup followed by Melbourne Cup day.
  • World Cup
    yeah, shame they were discontinued after 98
  • World Cup, ryder Cup, ashes, Olympics, euros. 
  • World Cup
  • How did i forget the Ryder Cup!? I even bloody went this year...
  • The Masters. The Open. An Ashes Test at Lord's. Ryder Cup. 
  • World Cup and Euros, Summer Olympics, Ashes, Wimbledon
  • Nothing even comes minutely close to the FIFA World Cup.
    I’m with this right now. However my feelings may change based on the next two which have involved several dick moves by FIFA
  • Sponsored links:


  • Fumbluff said:
    Nothing even comes minutely close to the FIFA World Cup.
    I’m with this right now. However my feelings may change based on the next two which have involved several dick moves by FIFA
    And how well England do. England having a decent run creates such an amazing national buzz
  • World cup. I still enjoy the FA cup final, despite the predictability.   
  • World Cup, followed by Euros.
  • Has to be the US Masters for me - a unique sporting event in terms of tradition and the test it provides. 
    Invitational, same venue every year. Is there more to it than that HiutB? Don't see it as that different to the other majors myself, and it is a "Johnny come lately" being a mere 85 years old...  
  • edited April 13
    1) The Ashes
    2) FIFA Mens World Cup
    3) Ryder Cup
    4) Cheltenham National Hunt Festival
    5) The Masters
    6) All England Lawn Tennis Championship
    7) The Open
    8) UEFA Europion Championship
    9) Grand National
    10) The Wisden Trophy (Away) 

  • Good question.

    Changes for me and includes sports I wouldn't normally describe as my favourites.

    In no particular order Wimbledon is up there at times, the Grand National and, before it got devalued by football selling its soul to Sky, the FA Cup final.

    If we are talking all time the 1966 World Cup final takes some beating.
  • LenGlover said:
    Good question.

    Changes for me and includes sports I wouldn't normally describe as my favourites.

    In no particular order Wimbledon is up there at times, the Grand National and, before it got devalued by football selling its soul to Sky, the FA Cup final.

    If we are talking all time the 1966 World Cup final takes some beating.
    Sorry Len but you can not blame Sky 100% for the demise of the FA Cup Final and as a tournament as a whole. Both BBC, ITV  and the FA themselves have not helped. It was ITV who insisted on the move to a tea-time final. The BBC could have moved it back to 3pm but chose not to. So many things wrong with it now and they are mainly down to the FA. Semis at Wembley, no replays, too many games on TV, rounds stretched over 4 days. Then the Prem insisting on a full midweek fixture list the week after a FA Cup weekend and many, many more issues. 
  • The Tour de France.
  • Riviera said:
    LenGlover said:
    Good question.

    Changes for me and includes sports I wouldn't normally describe as my favourites.

    In no particular order Wimbledon is up there at times, the Grand National and, before it got devalued by football selling its soul to Sky, the FA Cup final.

    If we are talking all time the 1966 World Cup final takes some beating.
    Sorry Len but you can not blame Sky 100% for the demise of the FA Cup Final and as a tournament as a whole. Both BBC, ITV  and the FA themselves have not helped. It was ITV who insisted on the move to a tea-time final. The BBC could have moved it back to 3pm but chose not to. So many things wrong with it now and they are mainly down to the FA. Semis at Wembley, no replays, too many games on TV, rounds stretched over 4 days. Then the Prem insisting on a full midweek fixture list the week after a FA Cup weekend and many, many more issues. 
    Yes, easy to blame Sky for many of football's ills but with the FA Cup's demise I lay the blame at West Ham's door. I recall them moaning about how unfair it was that their semi in '91 against Forest wasn't at Wembley like Arsenal v Tottenham was. That was the correct call at the time logistically. But the seed was sown and when two derby ties were served up in '93 both had to be at Wembley in the interests of fairness, so both Sheffield clubs had to head to London when Old Trafford would have done perfectly. A few years later and all semis were at Wembley, via Cardiff.

    I find I can make West Ham the scapegoat for anything. Bunch of cheats.
  • To answer the thread's question it's the Ashes and the FIFA World Cup. I've been to both and the Ashes (in Brisbane in 2010 anyway) was the more unsullied by commercialism of the two. Pure sporting drama without Budweiser's influence. 
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!