Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland Worried?

Comments

• Bet 365 is 50-1 
  • you can get 50/1 us finishing top 2 ...
    can't see it happening at all
    I've just checked my Paddy Power a/c because I remembered placing a couple of bets earlier in the season.
    Bit shocked to see this lot!

Winner 33/1, 25/1 & 12/1
    Top three 25/1 
    Promotion 11/2 & 7/2
    Karlan top scorer 33/1 Doh.
    Taylor top scorer 12/1

At one time I thought none of them would pay out, but at least promotion and top three are still running.

Bets were only £32 in total, and would pay about about £70 if we finish top three and get promoted.
    Were it not for some strange decisions made by our fine owner all of them might have been possible.
  • JamesSeed said:
    you can get 50/1 us finishing top 2 ...
    I've just checked my Paddy Power a/c because I remembered placing a couple of bets earlier in the season.

Winner 33/1, 25/1 & 12/1
    Top three 25/1 
    Promotion 11/2 & 7/2
    Taylor top scorer 12/1

At one time I thought none of them would pay out, but at least promotion and top three are still running.

Bets were only £32 in total, and would pay about about £70 if we finish top three and get promoted.
    Were it not for some strange decisions made by our fine owner all of them might have been possible.
    Karlan AND Taylor getting top scorer aren't possible - they're mutually exclusive ;)
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    We are talking about the games we lost that might cost us - what about the games we've won where, to be honest, we didn't deserve to? A 46 games season levels out the good and bad luck. If we get an automatic, we deserve it - if we finish in the play-offs then, over a 46 game season we deserve it.
    Are you trying to suggest that the Burton games (H) and (A) werent tactical masterminds from Lee Bowyer where we deliberately let teams dominate us?

Precisely - in fact as I walked back to the car after the Burton away game I was passed by a geyser on a horse shouting 'stand and deliver' - and it wasn't Adam Ant!
    Was 100% a robbery of epic proportions that night we were terrible going forward and at times the defense was non existent 

i still cant believe we won nor how much my head hurt the next morning with celebration booze 

• I still reckon we can get second 

• I still reckon we can get second 
    Won't happen, cash out.....
  • It’s very much a case of we need to win all 5 games, and then hope for quite a big chunk of things going our way across 3-4 other teams.

Personally I don’t think it’s likely that we will finish 2nd, but at the very least we can put ourselves in with a real good chance of getting 3rd/4th which would mean a 2nd leg playoff at The Valley. 
  • Every other team is on a great run of form too though, we've left it too late. 

Over the past 5 games we've only gained 1 point on Portsmouth, 2 on Sunderland and 2 on Luton. 

Barnsley are falling away a bit though so we might overtake them if we keep going. 
  • As fantastic as our form is, I fear what might undo us that the other teams around us, while not matching our form, just probably aren't going to drop enough points. When you look at the form guide, Sunderland and Pompey are pretty close to us on form.

Sunderland do have extra midweek games to play, mostly against top half teams, but a lot of those teams also don't have much left to play for now as that giant relegation battle is slowly thinning out. They are prone to a draw but don't lose many and we probably need them to drop points faster than a couple of draws would do. A lot will come down to their games vs Doncaster, Peterborough, and Pompey.

Since we beat Pompey, their form has been very good, nearly matching ours. They have a run of three fixtures in a week - Burton, Coventry, Sunderland, followed by Peterborough the next Saturday. That looks the crucial run of games for them.

• Sponsored links:

• One other small thing that might count in our favour - only two away games to play, both in the south east so no reason to expect we can't recreate the atmospheres from Plymouth and Wycombe. Flip side is one is at Oxford, old manager effect and another in form team, and the other is Gills where we don't have a fantastic record.
  • edited April 2019
    Gammon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    you can get 50/1 us finishing top 2 ...

Winner 33/1, 25/1 & 12/1
    Top three 25/1 
    Promotion 11/2 & 7/2
    Taylor top scorer 12/1

Karlan AND Taylor getting top scorer aren't possible - they're mutually exclusive ;)
    It's all about value :-)

At least that's what I thought at the time...
  • Been saying it for weeks & weeks....autos out of reach. I admit I've started to get excited at the thought of it, but just can't see us winning the next 5 & both Sunderland & Pompey losing a couple if games each (Barnsley are goners for the autos now). Just don't want to play Sunderland in the play offs at all.....either home& away or at Wembley. We have a great record against Pompey and Barnsley without Keifer Moore are like us without Taylor. Donny are beatable too and we are owed by Peterborough big time as we really should be looking at another 3 points from the 2 games against them........grrr.
  • edited April 2019
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    We are talking about the games we lost that might cost us - what about the games we've won where, to be honest, we didn't deserve to? A 46 games season levels out the good and bad luck. If we get an automatic, we deserve it - if we finish in the play-offs then, over a 46 game season we deserve it.
    Are you trying to suggest that the Burton games (H) and (A) werent tactical masterminds from Lee Bowyer where we deliberately let teams dominate us?

Precisely - in fact as I walked back to the car after the Burton away game I was passed by a geyser on a horse shouting 'stand and deliver' - and it wasn't Adam Ant!
    Blimey @bobmunro he was a long way from Shooters Hill  ;)
  • Although it was 8 months ago, that 96th minute winner in the first game of the season could come back to haunt us.
  • The one thing I would say is if we don’t get autos we aren’t going to be gutted as we aren’t currently sat in 2nd, carry on the way we are playing and we will win playoffs, ultimately it is in Pompey/Sunderland/Barnsley’s hands. I think we finish 4th with Barnsley in 5th - which is my favourable play off position, the other game being Pompey vs Doncaster. 

yes Sunderland drew with Burton the other night but they hit the woodwork 4 times!. 
  • Worth note in a cautionary sense this websites calculated goals model has us with a Katrien loving 2% chance of top 2

• Another cautionary note - most of the comments on this thread are insane.
  • _MrDick said:
    All things considered, I wouldn’t have thought Sunderland are worried. 
    Dont even give us a mention on their forum

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/top-two.1469457/

Happy to continue operating under the radar to be honest... If we dont make second I dont think any of us will be shocked (maybe disappointed if we miss out by a point or GD) - Imagine a lot of comments on this thread (like me) are from posters who have that blind faith that their team can achieve anything that is mathematically possible :)
  • Sponsored links:

• If we beat Luton and both them and Portsmouth drop points then I'll start to get excited, and they'll probably start worrying.

Until then the 2% is probably justified.
  • Worth note in a cautionary sense this websites calculated goals model has us with a Katrien loving 2% chance of top 2

Hence I got 50-1 on us achieving it 
  • So Oxford are the only club with nothing to play for right now?
  • If we were in Sunderland’s shoes at this moment...we would be cacking ourselves...FACT
  • I'd rather be in Sunderlands position than ours.
    We have to pick up at least 13 out of 15 points to have any chance of 2nd
  • cafc_se7 said:
    If we were in Sunderland’s shoes at this moment...we would be cacking ourselves...FACT
    2nd with a game in hand and having lost twice all season?

Let's not forget they're on the rise themselves, Barnsley were well clear a few weeks ago.
  • Between Sunderland and Portsmouth for second.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    If we were in Sunderland’s shoes at this moment...we would be cacking ourselves...FACT

Let's not forget they're on the rise themselves, Barnsley were well clear a few weeks ago.
    To an extent that’s more down to poor Barnsley form and Sunderland catching up on the number of games played than great Sunderland form
  • As an aside and I think it's unlikely and would be wrong what happens if Coventry are expelled from the league? Obviously benefits us as they're the only team I can think of to do the double over us. 
  • edited April 2019
    cafc_se7 said:

They've drawn seven more games than us though

They draw their last six and that is effectively just two wins for them, they were certainly lucky to beat Rochdale themselves last weekend