Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tip or not...

2»

Comments

• Options
    No I wouldn't these people charge way over the odds anyway, just ask for their card if you want to recommend them etc.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it as a vegetarian, but I was once told that what is appreciated is a hot bacon sandwich each mid-morning as the workers take a break.
  • Options
    When ordering a takeaway I always give the person delivering it a tip.
    They are probably on minimum wage and when I open the front door and see them standing there (sometimes in pouring rain) I just feel I have to.
    A lot of takeaways on just eat make you pay a service charge, which I presume means tip. Doubt the driver ends up getting it though. 
  • Options
    Does make me laugh the mindset in this country that you don’t tip someone who has busted a gut on your property for 8hrs in all weathers yet hop on a flight to Spain and automatically tip Jose for taking the top off a beer bottle!
    You want to see what these doorman get on hotels up town. While I'm sitting on the ritz rank for example, nearly every time they open the door for someone a note goes into their hand.

I had a famous old ex Chelsea owner in the cab from the ritz. Fare came to 8.60. He gave me a tenner and said 'just give us a quid back' :lol:
    Mate was a bellboy at the Grosvenor   for a bit when we left school. A wealthy Arab chap gave him a £400 bundle of notes for carrying his bags up to the room.

Don't seem much now but in late 90s it was a decent wedge.

• Options
    Does make me laugh the mindset in this country that you don’t tip someone who has busted a gut on your property for 8hrs in all weathers yet hop on a flight to Spain and automatically tip Jose for taking the top off a beer bottle!
    You want to see what these doorman get on hotels up town. While I'm sitting on the ritz rank for example, nearly every time they open the door for someone a note goes into their hand.

I had a famous old ex Chelsea owner in the cab from the ritz. Fare came to 8.60. He gave me a tenner and said 'just give us a quid back' :lol:
    Mate was a bellboy at the Grosvenor   for a bit when we left school. A wealthy Arab chap gave him a £400 bundle of notes for carrying his bags up to the room.

Does this Arab guy fancy buying a football club? 
  • Options
    I dont like tipping. Still feel compelled to tip the barber & waiters/waitreses but why ??  Most barbers own their own premises & set their own prices & waiters etc all get minimum wage (at worst). 

Certainly wouldn't tip a tradesman you've already agreed a price with or have sent you an invoice. 
  • Options

Does this Arab guy fancy buying a football club? 
    Won’t say they were desperate but the bellboy was tapped up by the Aussie consortium apparently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Mate, it's entirely up to you. Having tradesmen or construction workers round can send you one way or the other. It's a rarity now that anyone clears up after themselves of their own volition, if I have anyone round who does that they will get a drink from me, it encourages this behaviour and as a few others have noticed, it will be massively appreciated. I always tip my barber and cab drivers and takeaway delivery drivers if they get my food to me quickly. 

And if something does fail or sink in a few weeks time it will probably be a lot easier for someone to stop back round and fix it 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    ^^
  • Options
    Tips are a weird concept, I work in the bar industry where tipping is more regular but even then what is the tip for? I make drinks, you pay for them, chances are there's a service charge on there already, and that gets paid directly into my account, whereas cash tips get split between us all and usually pay for post shift beers for the staff, so I technically don't get it myself, and card tips just get pooled into a central system and regurgitated into the tronc we receive fortnightly. 

Not saying I'm ungrateful for them, but in my experience paying service charge helps guys like me out a lot more
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I dont like tipping. Still feel compelled to tip the barber & waiters/waitreses but why ??  Most barbers own their own premises & set their own prices & waiters etc all get minimum wage (at worst). 

Certainly wouldn't tip a tradesman you've already agreed a price with or have sent you an invoice. 
    I tipped the barber yesterday but honestly don’t see why. I did hesitate for a bit then felt guilty. Now that I’ve set a precedent it’ll be impossible not to tip from now on?

But in general I don’t agree with tipping apart from those who may be on a low wage.

Perhaps next time I deliver a training programme I’ll hover over the students and see if any tips are forthcoming and I don’t mean, Lucky Jim, 3.30 at Wincanton!
  • Options
    I tip 15-20% to barbers, waiting staff, cab drivers and take away deliverers.

I'll give the price of a drink, £5-£10, to AA/RAC, coach drivers and trades doing a job in my house.

That's it really.
  • Options
    Tip the workers if you think they went above and beyond but zilch to the boss. 
  • Options
    4 or 5 blokes on the job. Give them a score and say have a pint on me. 
    ...if they go to Spoons. 
  • Options
    Just finished having a load of work done on our bungalow
    Kept the lads supplied with 5 or 6 cups tea/coffee every day for the last 2 months and paid them promptly for the work.
    Tip? Didn't even cross my mind