Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke Young

edited June 2007 in Rumours
Tomorrow's Daily Mail says Boro, Newcastle and West Ham are looking at Young and that we want £5 mill for him.

Comments

• Id be well happy with 5 mil and get him off our wage bill...
  • i'd be pleased with anything over £3 mill but the real question is will he pass a medical? i think he won't.
  • you have to think that if he couldnt pass one at west ham last year why would he pass one at boro or anywhere else for that matter...
  • curbs might overlook it if he really wanted him but considering he has lucas neill, i think he won't be headed to upton park.
  • id take oer 2 mil and im a fan...but i think 5 mil would be great business for us.
  • Thanks Luke....good honest hard working full back....fact is you wanted to leave last year to the Whammies...I'd take 3 -5 mill...
  • playing hardball over Bent is one thing - and a good thing - but £5m for Young?

we'll do well to get £2m which along with getting him off the wage bill would be a decent bit of business
  • edited June 2007
    its called negotiation...

Bent will go for 14-15m, although we might get more for him if we wait till January.
  • Luke Young is a good, solid Premiership class player, would be an asset to most sides, a safe purchase (subject to medical) - anybody paying £4M shouldn't be disappointed.
  • If £6 million is being mooted for Leighton Baines then why not £4 million for Luke?- subject to medical issues of course.

Luke is an England international and at 27 or 28 at the peak of his powers.

We paid a total of £4 million for him and there was less money around the Premiership then than there is now.

We shouldn't undersell our players!
  • Sponsored links:

• If we can get 4-5m for Young and 13-14m plus Gardner for D.Bent then i'll be pretty happy with that.
  • Gardner is pelt. I wouldn't begrudge Luke Young a move for England prospects and to play at the highest level but for a realistic fee. He's got three years left on his contract, a full enlgand international, nearly 200 prem games under his belt, can play anywhere across the back four and chips in with goals.

£4-6 mill I think is realistic in the current climate
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Gardner is pelt. I wouldn't begrudge Luke Young a move for England prospects and to play at the highest level but for a realistic fee. He's got three years left on his contract, a full enlgand international, nearly 200 prem games under his belt, can play anywhere across the back four and chips in with goals.

£4-6 mill I think is realistic in the current climate

Gardner will be ok at CCC level plus would probably only be back up.
  • Gardener is far better than you guys rate him, IMO. Its just the long-term fitness that is the problem with him.
  • Biggest problem with Gardner is his injury record.

He makes Cory Gibbs look active.
  • So he's injury prone. I can't imagine he's on a paupers wage either and do we really need another member of the squad like that?

It's an incredibly physical league the fizzy pops and if we're having to carry players we will be up shit creek without a paddle soon enough.
  • PLEASE NO! we have too many defenders already.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Gardner is pelt.[/quote]

Absolute rubbish.
    How many times have you seen the lad play?

I'd rather him as back up to Ledley King and Michael Dawson than Rocha who we brought in from Porto.
    Very tall, extremely pacey, two footed and distribution is relatively good.
    He's up there with the quickest centre-backs in the Premier League.

The only two things that have let him down in the past is his concentration when marking and his fitness, as AFKA has pointed out. Get him fit with a decent run in the team and he'll be the best centre-back you've had at The Valley since Rufus.

If you're asking £5m for Luke Young then Gardner is worth more.
  • Apparently all our players are worth £4 million less in Spurs mind...
  • johnboy, i agree with what you say about gardner but the whole issue about his worth is blurred by his horrendous injury record and therefore our club would have to get him at a reasonable price or a fee that was based on appearances. as you say, if fit he probably would be our best cb since rev Rufus and a mate said he's done well this year and is suprised that our fans are moaning at the possibility of him signing for us. only time will tell i suppose!
  • Sponsored links:

• If you're asking £5m for Luke Young then Gardner is worth more.

++++++

That's nonsense. Gardner is nowhere near the England side and his fitness record is abysmal so I can't see that he worth more than Young who has (apart from last season) a very good fitness record and is a regular in the England squad.

I agree that Gardner is a decent player but he is not worth more than Young in the transfer market.
  • he only played six times last season..

mind you, Murphy only played five...
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]he only played six times last season..

mind you, Murphy only played five...

he's appeared 16 times this season which is practically a full season by his standards! : 0 )
  • I am afraid Mr Gardener is another one from the Thomas, M Bent, Jenas, Lennon Clique who go out getting lashed up at places like China Whites & Funky Buddha which is fine in the summer but not so clever DURING the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I am afraid Mr Gardener is another one from the Thomas, M Bent, Jenas, Lennon Clique who go out getting lashed up at places like China Whites & Funky Buddha which is fine in the summer but not so clever DURING the season.

Ketman in disapproval of drinking and clubbing shock. What next? Turn that House racket off and play some Abba ;-)
  • edited June 2007
    LOL Henry very good. Just pointing out where these huge wage earners are going wrong in life. :-)
  • Nah man, you've sold out. You used to be so so cool. What happened? :- )
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman

LOL Henry very good. Just pointing out where these huge wage earners are going wrong in life. :-)

that's a bit like the hotel guy that was reputed to gone to george best's room one night, seen miss world laying naked on the bed and tens of thousands of pounds all over the place and said to him 'george, george, where did it all go wrong ?'
  • Every time I've seen Gardner play I think he looks indecisive and nervous, we've already got one of them in Fortune and don't think we need another one. Granted he's quick but he's a liability with his injury record.