Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• The first side to go through an entire Serie A season unbeaten was Perugia in 1978-79..................but they still didn't win the league.

I'm sure I've heard of something similar in the motor racing world, where a driver won the championship but didn't win a single race that season but was consistently 2nd-4th.
  • Robert Earnshaw has scored hat tricks in the Premier, champ, League 1, 2 both domestic cups and for Wales. His only one in the Premier League was against us

• Sanchez, whose contract runs to 2022, is paid** £412,000-a-week, effectively just for training, since he also gets paid £75,000 for each game he plays

** £391k pw + (allegedly) £1.1M annual payment

• The team that holds the record for the highest number of goals scored in an FA cup final, is Bury.  
  • If you search Wikipedia for "9-11" or "11-9", you're redirected to the page on the September 11th attacks.  If you search for "7-7" it takes you to the page for the London Bombings.  Such are the iconic status of the numbers 9-11 and 7-7.  

"7-1" takes you straight to the page for the 2014 World Cup match between Brazil and Germany. 
  • Chizz said:
    If you search Wikipedia for "9-11" or "11-9", you're redirected to the page on the September 11th attacks.  If you search for "7-7" it takes you to the page for the London Bombings.  Such are the iconic status of the numbers 9-11 and 7-7.  

"7-1" takes you straight to the page for the 2014 World Cup match between Brazil and Germany. 
    Bit rubbish that 4-4 doesnt take you to the right page!!
  • Chizz said:
    If you search Wikipedia for "9-11" or "11-9", you're redirected to the page on the September 11th attacks.  If you search for "7-7" it takes you to the page for the London Bombings.  Such are the iconic status of the numbers 9-11 and 7-7.  

Our game is very high up the 7-6 results!
  • Ross said:
    The first side to go through an entire Serie A season unbeaten was Perugia in 1978-79..................but they still didn't win the league.

I'm sure I've heard of something similar in the motor racing world, where a driver won the championship but didn't win a single race that season but was consistently 2nd-4th.
    Keke Rosberg won the ‘82 title but only won 1 race all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    The first side to go through an entire Serie A season unbeaten was Perugia in 1978-79..................but they still didn't win the league.

Was that when nobody won more than 2?

not heard of a driver winning the championship without winning a race though.
  • Ross said:

No, no-one's ever done it.
  • No Barcelona player had ever been named La Liga Player of the Month until Neymar was in November 2015.
    It's been about since 2013
  •  Plymouth won the 3rd division as champions in 1930 to division 2. It was calculated at that time the players would have to travel 25000 miles in the course of the season.
    Areoplane travel was considered, but the authorities turned down their request as it was considered too dangerous.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    No Barcelona player had ever been named La Liga Player of the Month until Neymar was in November 2015.
    It's been about since 2013
    Still a fact that doesn't sound true but is.
  • Argyle is in their name as the best players were from the Agyle and Sutherland Highlanders from the local barracks.
  • Ross said:

No, no-one's ever done it.
    It wasn’t F1, was a smaller championship.
  • Redrobo said:
     Plymouth won the 3rd division as champions in 1930 to division 2. It was calculated at that time the players would have to travel 25000 miles in the course of the season.
    Areoplane travel was considered, but the authorities turned down their request as it was considered too dangerous.
    They finished runner-up six seasons running from 1921-7, when only the champions went up. Talk about groundhog day!
  • New Zealand were the only unbeaten nation in the 2010 World Cup, despite not making it past the group stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• The D on the edge on the box was originally introduced as a tribute to Kaiser Willem who was the first foreign dignitary to attend the FA cup final in 1901.

The D stands for 'Deutschland' 
    What?!

Surely it's just to mark out the ten yards from the penalty spot?
  • 13 Nov 1985
    Soren Lerby played the first half of the World Cup qualifier in Dublin (Ireland v Denmark).
    Substituted at half time.
    Rushed to the airport and caught a plane to Germany, as Bayern Munich played away to Bochum in the German cup.
    Due to a traffic jam on the way from the airport, he had to run the last couple of miles to the ground and got there in time to get on the pitch for the start of the 2nd half. 
  • edited April 2019
    The highest attendance for a match at Old Trafford was for Grimsby v Wolves.
    Man Uniteds record attendance was at.... Maine Road. 

*Just seen this one was already done 
  • Alvin Martin once scored a hatrick against three different keepers for west ham v Newcastle 
  • Riviera said:
    Millwall FC are the only team to play in an FA Cup final and not have a shot, either on or off target. 
    That’s probably true but how could it be proven? I mean, the FA Cup goes back a very long time, probably well before they statisticians noted how many shots on or off target a team had. 
  • Danepak said:
    13 Nov 1985
    Soren Lerby played the first half of the World Cup qualifier in Dublin (Ireland v Denmark).
    Substituted at half time.
    Rushed to the airport and caught a plane to Germany, as Bayern Munich played away to Bochum in the German cup.
    Due to a traffic jam on the way from the airport, he had to run the last couple of miles to the ground and got there in time to get on the pitch for the start of the 2nd half. 
    Amazed that Bayern wouldn't have enough other players to beat Bochum so had to insist he flew back for half a game.

Then i also read that 2 years later Bayern insisted Mark Hughes do it too. He played for Wales in Prague in the afternoon, then flew to Germany to play the second half for Bayern in an evening match.