Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton, Ebbsfleet now Bury (Clubs in trouble thread)

Comments

• Options
    Keith Hill been appointed Bolton boss... Good choice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49538882
    An excellent choice. Massive job trying to put together a competitive team in the timescale though
    I can’t imagine there’s any expectation of success this season. 12 points deducted before a ball was kicked, getting dicked 5-0 by the likes of Gillingham every week and no squad to speak of. There’s not much they can do about the squad until Christmas, so results are unlikely to improve dramatically.
    I imagine the whole club has written the season off already as being irretrievable and Hill will be aiming to hit the ground running in league 2 next year.
    The transfer window isn't quite shut yet so they can get a few loan players in. Plus free agents. Liam Bridcutt us set to arrive on loan from Forest for example

Incredibly unlikely they will stay up, but with a few rubbish teams at the bottom of L1 it's not completely impossible if they can strengthen in January
  • Options
    The question is would you be happy to loan Bolton players or do you think it could demoralise them if they are on the end of some thrashings.

Albie Morgan for example.

Personally he needs a loan and I think Bolton could be a good loan for him
  • Options
    The question is would you be happy to loan Bolton players or do you think it could demoralise them if they are on the end of some thrashings.

Think it depends on the style of Football that Keith Hill will play there... If its not on the deck then its not going to be a benefit to Albie's development

I also think they need to look at more experienced players in either the loan market or free agents - Would consider offering them Forster-Caskey if anyone
  • Options

Think it depends on the style of Football that Keith Hill will play there... If its not on the deck then its not going to be a benefit to Albie's development

I also think they need to look at more experienced players in either the loan market or free agents - Would consider offering them Forster-Caskey if anyone
    Considering Morgan looked at home in a L1 side going for promotion, I don't think a struggling side, with no set system would benefit him at at. 
  • Options

Some very interesting figures about TV money ....

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1168775828534177792

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    So if Manchester police a report of fraud on Bury as far back 18th June, why did the EFL not act and just sat back and not do anything or investigate plus they still expelled them?? 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Curb_It said:
    So if Manchester police a report of fraud on Bury as far back 18th June, why did the EFL not act and just sat back and not do anything or investigate plus they still expelled them?? 
    Fraud is a criminal offence so a police matter.

The league said there were issues to be investigated.

Suspecting that Dale was a crook not a reason to let him carry on running Bury, the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    I can't see them staying up but felt should have put a few quid on them a couple of weeks back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bet Doncaster are fuming - match postponed a couple of weeks ago during the middle of a period in which Bolton conceded 5 goals in 4 consecutive games. 

In fact, I bet the rest of the division that hasn't played them yet is fairly annoyed that a number of their rivals for promotion and relegation had a free pass to get an easy 3 points and a goal difference boost.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1168886539423821831?s=21

The English Football League says it has agreed to "discuss the matter" of Bury Football Club's re-entry into the Football League

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Curb_It said:

The English Football League says it has agreed to "discuss the matter" of Bury Football Club's re-entry into the Football League

Great news for Bury supporters. Steve Dale still owns the club though, right?

So re-entry should be on condition that the last minute takeover that the EFL initially rejected goes through.

(And that the new owners pass the Fit and Proper Persons Test, pffft!!!) 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I can't see them staying up but felt should have put a few quid on them a couple of weeks back. 
    They'll need a miracle. They still have a pretty shit squad, are already 15 points from safety, 16 when you factor in goal difference and potentially even more as i don't think the FA have yet handed them their punishment for cancelling the last game of last season plus the Doncaster game a few weeks ago.

Let's say they'll need about 45 points to be safe, they need to get 59 points from 39 games. That's not far off play off form. No chance unless they go crazy in the January transfer window.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Statement from the EFL

In response to recent commentary about the future of Bury FC, the EFL Board would like to provide clarification on a number of relevant points and address suggestions that the Club should be admitted to EFL League Two for the 2020-21 season.

• The EFL Board reached the decision to withdraw Bury FC’s membership in accordance with the Articles of Association as adopted by the EFL and all member clubs. With regret, this action was taken in the absence of evidence of Bury FC’s ability to meet its financial commitments, whether by the current ownership or any other credible buyer for the Club. Withdrawal of membership was a consequence of severe financial problems at Bury FC over an extended period of time, which had recently led to an insolvency event and a 12-point deduction.

• The Board recognises the efforts being made by supporters’ groups, local authorities and political leaders and their desire for Bury FC to re-enter the EFL from the 2020-21 season. However, the only established procedure for entry to the EFL is through promotion from the National League as part of the wider football pyramid. There is no precedent for a Club to enter the EFL directly through an application for admission or readmission following withdrawal of membership.

• In the current circumstances, the process by which a former EFL Club would obtain re-entry to the league system in England is via an application to the Football Association. On consideration of that application, the FA would determine the appropriate League for entry, subject to them meeting the relevant entry requirements of that League.

• Notwithstanding the above, and in acknowledgement of the extreme nature of the problems at Bury FC, the EFL Board had agreed it is appropriate to discuss the matter with member Clubs. This is a complex situation that raises questions of due process, precedent and fairness as well as financial implications. The EFL will consult with its Clubs over the coming weeks.

• Prior to formal consideration by any league competition of an eventual application from Bury FC to return to league football, clear evidence would be required of the Club’s financial viability and its ability to fulfil its ongoing commitments. 

The EFL hopes that this statement provides clarity for the current efforts being made on behalf of Bury FC.

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    I bet Doncaster are fuming - match postponed a couple of weeks ago during the middle of a period in which Bolton conceded 5 goals in 4 consecutive games. 

In fact, I bet the rest of the division that hasn't played them yet is fairly annoyed that a number of their rivals for promotion and relegation had a free pass to get an easy 3 points and a goal difference boost.
    MrLargo said:

all true .. and reinforces my main argument against over generous FA/Prem League support for failing clubs .. there should be no free 'insurance policy' to allow spendthrift and/or incompetent owners cheap way out .. any failing clubs should be 'culled' before the start of the season to avoid problems like you outline .. but expecting common sense business practice from the FA/EFL ? 
  • Options
    Some potential good news for Bury there in that statement as it seems like the door is being left slightly open for them. And if the EFL are apparently consulting with member clubs then i can't see many of them wanting to not let Bury back in.
  • Options
    So Mr Duchatalet, what do you think about Bury?

Huh, no I want to be cremated, huh.
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet rubbish this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ebbsfleet rubbish this season.
    Happy days. 
  • Options
    Bury will find out tomorrow if they'll be allowed into League Two next season

EFL will either decide if they're allowed back in or whether the team in 23rd will earn a reprieve from relegation to the Conference
  • Options
    EFL had a chance to slightly redeem themselves by allowing Bury into League 2.

Instead they have decided only 1 team will be relegated from League 2
  • Options

A proposal for Bury to be readmitted to League Two next season was rejected by the English Football League's 71 member clubs at a meeting on Thursday.

Bury, who were in League One, were expelled from the EFL in August after a last-ditch takeover bid collapsed.

Earlier this week, a group trying to rescue Bury submitted a proposal for "compassionate re-entry" to League Two.

However, an EFL statement said "it became clear that the proposal did not have the necessary support".

It added that EFL clubs favoured "extending the existing principle of a reduction in relegation across all divisions as a means of returning to 72 clubs now and for the future".

It means only one team will go down from League Two this campaign, rather than two.

• Options
    Would have been a poor precedent to allow them to re-enter at the same level they would have been playing if they completed the season.

Not right that other clubs have to start again at the bottom of the pyramid but Bury get to stick at the same level.

Harsh on the fans but Bury got promoted buying and promising high wages to players they couldn't afford and so shouldn't be rewarded for that. They shouldn't have been allowed to go up.
  • Options
    Would have been a poor precedent to allow them to re-enter at the same level they would have been playing if they completed the season.

Not right that other clubs have to start again at the bottom of the pyramid but Bury get to stick at the same level.

Harsh on the fans but Bury got promoted buying and promising high wages to players they couldn't afford and so shouldn't be rewarded for that. They shouldn't have been allowed to go up.
    That bottom statement is false.

Was watching The Debate on SkySports after Bury were kicked out and Ryan Lowe was on and was talking about that, and he was saying how much false stuff had been written about the finances, he said the wages were inline with other teams in League 2 and I think he said in his time there he spent a total of  £1M on 15 players.

He said when he got there he got rid of a number of players on high contracts, but once they had gone all players were on average money for League 2
  • Options

Was watching The Debate on SkySports after Bury were kicked out and Ryan Lowe was on and was talking about that, and he was saying how much false stuff had been written about the finances, he said the wages were inline with other teams in League 2 and I think he said in his time there he spent a total of  £1M on 15 players.

He said when he got there he got rid of a number of players on high contracts, but once they had gone all players were on average money for League 2
    doesn't matter if its the lowest wages in europe if you can't afford to pay it
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Plus one team who would normally have survived relegation would be going down to make space for Bury, in effect punished for Bury's mismanagement. 
    They wont have stayed in League One - No teams would have been received a punishment for their mismanagement

The proposal was they'd have gone down to League Teo (so effectively relegated this season) - In effect they taken 24th in League Two now as well what with just one team being relegated from that level this season

Imagine the same will happen in the Conference and Conference North with a team who should be relegated being saved because Bury will no doubt be forced to enter at the Northern Premier League (wont be surprised if they dont start even lower)
  • Options

1m on transfers and salaries for 15 players that they couldn't afford.........