Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bradford - Post Match Views

Another home three points which gets us closer to securing our play off position.

Thoughts on the game? 

Comments

• Options
    Said by some smart bloke at 3.04:

Shooting the wrong way = we take a lead into the break, then might as well leave at half time because the plan becomes two words: Dig In 

• Options
    3 Points, no injuries.

Taylor puts that away and we breeze 2\3-0 etc

I'll take it.
  • Options
    To quote a certain Mr Taylor shouting to the bench mid way through the 2nd half 

"SPLIT STRIKERS AIN'T WORKING"
  • Options
    We looked a bit rusty to be fair. Maybe the two week break benefits you later but your itensity drops a little initially. That's what it felt like to me.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Three points good, six points better. 

OK, I accept you can't apply Animal Farm to every situation. 
  • Options
    Our midfield has no bite without Bielik. Today there was a lot of sideways passing but no drive. Aribo looked uninterested for most of the game(no cameras?) and only Cullen tried to make things happen.
    We need to go into the playoffs with Bielik, Cullen and a motivated by the cameras Aribo, then we may win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let us hope they are all keeping their powder dry for the Play Offs...   being Charlton of course we should not expect it easy.
  • Options
    4.53 ft on SSN - blimey, happy with that
  • Options
    I can’t remember a game where we played so badly yet won so comfortably. Just goes to show how bad Bradford were.
    too many players strolling around like it was a friendly. Dijksteel was awful . Williams no better . I forgot Reeves was playing until he came off and Aribo was far too casual. Igor isn’t the same player of two years ago but I think we all knew that.
    Taylor should have has a Hatrick . All that and we won ! 
    Cullen ran the midfield as he has done nearly every time he’s played . 
    Awful game but hey ho . Three points in the bag .

Play like that against Luton and we’ll get mullered.
    Can’t think of a game this season where we’ve played poorly against top 6 side. The way we play benefits against better opposition. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    To be fair to Bradford, the quick ball from defence to attack was as good as any team we have played. They switch off a bit defensively and their plan was to keep it tight even when behind - they did lack an extra player in our box when they had to chase the game as a result. I was thinking they could stay up, then I double checked the table! They have a few decent players so I feel for them a bit. They are not going down because of today though.

When we consider ourselves safely in the play offs, I would like to see us work on the itensity of our attacks. The advantage we have is we should hopefully be able to use the last few games as a pre-season type exercise to ready us for the play offs. 
  • Options
    3 points and a clean sheet were positives. 

Everything else was disappointing 
  • Options
    Pretty poor game tbh.
    Midfield anonymous  for much of the game.
    But three points none the less.
    Play offs all but confirmed with seven games to go.
    Now to catch Pompy and claim 4th spot without picking up any injuries and I will be happy with that.
  • Options
    Went for it first half and should've been 3-1 up. 2nd half we free wheeled in second gear and just about got away with it.

Pleased I still had my book with me after spending the morning in Greenwich park for the non event 2nd half.

Was that not a carbon copy of the last home game when we won 1-0 and nothing happened 2nd half kicking towards the Jimmy Seed end ?

Another 3 points so we take it and move on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have scored 16 league goals in 2019. That is 1.2 goals per match. We are not going anywhere past the first round of the playoffs with that.
  • Options
    Good win, if a bit concerning that we missed so many chances. The bloke behind me was convinced that Purrington was Pearce for nearly the entire game. He must have been so confused when Pearce came on!
  • Options
    It all looked a bit too laid back for my liking. 

Sitting here trying to convince myself that we have another gear, but didn't need it today.  Also, players to conserve energy and remain injury free for the season finale.  Musn't peak too early etc ... Oh well I did try :neutral:  
  • Options
    We did need it as they had a few chances. But there was an air of being laid back coming over. Not to say the players were. Maybe a two week break means we lacked a little sharpness.
  • Options
    I can’t remember a game where we played so badly yet won so comfortably. Just goes to show how bad Bradford were.
    too many players strolling around like it was a friendly. Dijksteel was awful . Williams no better . I forgot Reeves was playing until he came off and Aribo was far too casual. Igor isn’t the same player of two years ago but I think we all knew that.
    Taylor should have has a Hatrick . All that and we won ! 
    Cullen ran the midfield as he has done nearly every time he’s played . 
    Awful game but hey ho . Three points in the bag .

Play like that against Luton and we’ll get mullered.
    Can’t think of a game this season where we’ve played poorly against top 6 side. The way we play benefits against better opposition. 
    Barnsley away.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Three points and playoffs looking certain. Downside is we just cant score enough goals. Against a playoff team I wonder if we have enough firepower. Not saying we should be scoring three every game but we do need to do it occasionally. 
    8 goals conceded in 14 games since Phillips came into the team against Walsall.

If we carry on conceding that few goals, we won't need the firepower of a destroyer to sink our play off rivals.
    Play-off semi-final result:

Charlton 0 Pompey 0 (aet, agg)

Pompey win 4-2 on pens.
    No, I think you will find Charlton win 1-0 on penalties.