Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Selling a car online

I've never done it before.

Due to the fact a local garage offered me a pitiful amount p/ex I'm thinking of doing it now.

Is it much of a ball ache?

Comments

• No piece of piss

Ebay is easy, auto trader also

Take plenty of pictures, be honest about any scratches and things that don't work. Make sure it has 4 tyres the same brand on all 4 corners and make it clear if using an auction on Ebay it is to buy the car and payment is expected as opposed to turning up, kicking tyres and mincing off after winning an auction. 

And don't be greedy, know the value of the car and price it fairly. Often people on Ebay will make offers especially if it's a German car as they will get bought and exported quicksharp. And don't forget to send the paperwork off and cancel the tax when you sell it 
  • Very easy and effective - on Autotrader anyway.

Take some pictures - look at some of the other ads to see how to present the pictures - each corner, both sides, front, back, inside each door, dash board and so on. Upload, write a little description, especially history, and away you go.

If it's priced right then you will sell it in a couple of days.

• It's in pretty good nick and never let me down.

Is there any comeback if it conks out a couple of weeks after they've bought it?
  • It's in pretty good nick and never let me down.

Is there any comeback if it conks out a couple of weeks after they've bought it?
    Put it like this 

If I buy a car that is categorised as sold as seen and paid 400 quid for it you will never see me again 

If I buy something for 10k and it dies on the way home it will be coming back 
  • Have used eBay twice for older / cheapish cars.  Easy but you will get scammers making quick offers without even wanting to view car!!  Don't show your number plate in the photos or you risk clonning. 
  • Have used eBay twice for older / cheapish cars.  Easy but you will get scammers making quick offers without even wanting to view car!!  Don't show your number plate in the photos or you risk clonning. 
    Really. 
    Couldn't you say the same about every car on the road?
    Every car on Autotrader shows the number plate. Wouldn't people need it to run checks?
  • Agreed but easier to look online for a particular car in a specific colour. It’s what I was told. 
  • I'm about to put one of my cars on Autotrader. I've sold three or four cars on there and never had a problem. The last one I sold was on the day after I placed the advert to the first person who viewed it. And as Carter states, be honest about the price and problems. It might be worth getting it valeted/detailed prior to selling as it will attract more buyers. If you don't want to spend the money on hiring someone to do it, then a few hours detailing adds a few more pounds to the price. 

If anyone is interested, I'm about to sell my MINI Cooper S on Autotrader. It's a 67 plate but has only done 5,000 miles since it was registered in November 2017.
  • edited March 2019
    Senpai said:
    I'm about to put one of my cars on Autotrader. I've sold three or four cars on there and never had a problem. The last one I sold was on the day after I placed the advert to the first person who viewed it. And as Carter states, be honest about the price and problems. It might be worth getting it valeted/detailed prior to selling as it will attract more buyers. If you don't want to spend the money on hiring someone to do it, then a few hours detailing adds a few more pounds to the price. 

If anyone is interested, I'm about to sell my MINI Cooper S on Autotrader. It's a 67 plate but has only done 5,000 miles since it was registered in November 2017.
    How much?And will you take part ex on a clapped out old fiesta?

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• If using eBay list it as a classified ad
    Do not put it in an auction sale or buy it now!
  • Have used webuyanycar for pricing, if you are not too stressed finacially about getting the best price it could be an easy way out.
  • red10 said:
    Have used webuyanycar for pricing, if you are not too stressed finacially about getting the best price it could be an easy way out.
    Woman at work used them to sell her car. A bit tight on the money. Paid out £500 for a low miles Fiat Punto on 58 plate. No come back, but then again there isn't on a private sale anyway. I used eBay to sell an old Golf Gti. Simple really. 
  • I advertised a nearly new Fiesta on Autotrader in 2002. Didn’t get one offer only a sarcastic text message telling me I’m having a laugh with the price. When I read my add properly I’d priced in super car territory, £75,000.
  • edited March 2019
    red10 said:
    Have used webuyanycar for pricing, if you are not too stressed finacially about getting the best price it could be an easy way out.
    This. I’ve used them to sell a car. I’d used the online service to price it up after a dealer wasted my time with his number when I wanted to trade it in for a new and more expensive one. The price WBAC offered was in the market when I’d checked similar cars online. I still let it run out and priced it again and got offered a bit more. When you go to sell the guy then does the bit when looking around the car with a magnifying glass and pointing out a couple of knicks and scratches and offers a bit less. You bring him back to reality and agree numbers. Nice and easy, doesn’t take long, saves a lot of hassle and you can always walk away if you don’t want to take their offer.
  • We have used WBAC quite a few times. As long as you are honest in your description you should get full amount as per quote. 

Might be 200-300 quid cheaper than selling privately but worth the hassle of not having to deal with bunch of strangers coming round to view car, wasting your time with derisory offers etc. 

WBAC also offered more than the trade in value we were offered by the dealers we were buying our next car from. 
  • Gumtree it's free
    Sold mine in 45mins for almost double what I was offered part ex