Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell Sacked

Just come up on Sky Sport not really a surprise with Southends recent results añd 1 pt above the zone

Comments

• Sad but not a surprise.
  • Weird as he had a good start there. 
  • Sham, he did have the old dreaded vote of confidence form the Chairman the other day saying he was backing him due to bad injuries etc. 
  • Feel sad for him but probably the right decision. Looked like they were only heading one direction with their recent form. Not sure how quickly he'll be back in a job, seems to be his second consecutive job where he has failed since leaving us..
  • Really unfortunate with the injuries he's had there. I think he would have kept them up so it's an odd time to do it.
  • Really unfortunate with the injuries he's had there. I think he would have kept them up so it's an odd time to do it.
    A lot of panicking Chairmen with half the division in danger of relegation. Clearly they're hoping that the "new manager" bounce will get a couple of wins from somewhere
  • Matt Murray was watching the game in the studio on Saturday and he actually said this sort of performance will get him the sack.
  • Shame decent bloke
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame as he’s a great bloke, not sure about his future as a manager - hopefully he proves me wrong 
  • Powelly is one of football's good guys and nice guys. But we know in football no matter the situation, time waits for no man. I hope he gets an other job where he can prove himself and it works out for him there.
  • ReeCAFC15 said:
    Feel sad for him but probably the right decision. Looked like they were only heading one direction with their recent form. Not sure how quickly he'll be back in a job, seems to be his second consecutive job where he has failed since leaving us..
    Yes I worry for his managerial job prospects after 2 "failures"

He'll have no problems getting work in football though, whether it's in the media or at the FA/PFA etc
  • Chris Powell had his most successful time when he, with his coaches and scout bring his own players in, which he did at Charlton at the end of his first season in charge. This resulted in the League 1 title and 100+ points.

When he takes over other managers teams he have been average.

It's a results business and Southend's form has been very poor in 2019. Your name can be Sir Chris Powell or Gobby Robinson but once the results keep going against you, you lose your job if the owner can afford to pay you off.

Good luck Chris in your next Job.
  • He is probably better off being Assistant Manager somewhere. 
  • Chris is a top man,but regretably football management is not the place for nice guys.He will still feel that his future lies in management,but there are many alternatives available to him,with his personality he would easily hold down decent positions in media tv,also what about getting shot of the parasite Gordon Taylor and giving Chris a go.
    Director of Football at Charlton Athletic (under the new owners of course!)
  • Thats a shame, cant say I'm surprised though.
  • Sponsored links:

Bowyer (Manager) | Powell (Assistant-Manager) | Jackson (1st Team Coach) | Driesen (Head of Scouting

Hawks backs to the days of Curbs | Day | Peacock | Vetere
  • No real surprise given their recent form.

I'd expect him to have to probably take over a struggling league 1 team, or a team in league 2 next. Can't see him getting many better offers than that.

Unless he wants to go back to being an assistant or coach somewhere.
  • edited March 2019
    A shame but as others have said no real surprise given the trigger happy nature of most boards of directors in football.

He was unlucky to lose some of his signings like Lennon through injury for much of the season.

Might just have made a difference.
  • Not a surprise really is it. Hope he gets a gig elsewhere. Probably better suited to a number two than one to be honest. 
  • This is indeed a very cruel business. Hopefully he won't be out of work for too long. Wish him best of luck in whatever he does next.
  • Oh dear oh dear
    A lot of panicking Chairmen with half the division in danger of relegation. Clearly they're hoping that the "new manager" bounce will get a couple of wins from somewhere

Read a piece in the Times yesterday which described how this is such a weird season in L1, with Saturday's game between 12th placed Plymouth and 13th placed Bristol Rovers being "mid-table relegation clash".  Plymouth being only 3 points above Walsall in 21st and Rovers who could have ended the day in the bottom 4.  This must be the biggest (number of teams) relegation battle ever and chairmen are all starting to panic. 

Huge shame for Chris and Damien and hope they bounce back soon.