Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When will UEFA take racism seriously?

Comments

• Whilst obviously not WASP, here is the UEFA executive committee - they look pretty much white, male and Christian to me, with the addition of a solitary Arab millionaire, and a couple of women. 

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/executive-committee/  
    I wasn’t doubting the W part of WASP!
  • Whilst obviously not WASP, here is the UEFA executive committee - they look pretty much white, male and Christian to me, with the addition of a solitary Arab millionaire, and a couple of women. 

1/3 isn't bad, I suppose.

They look Christian?

What do Christians look like?

In any case the claim was "protestant"
  • Seems only protestants  / Christians can be racists --- can't wait till the World Cup is played in that bastion of liberal democracy that is Qatar
    But we are talking about the governing body. They should be absolutely 100% down on racist behaviour in all its members. 
  • Stadium ban is punishing the 99% of fans that didn’t commit these idiotic acts.  Heavy fines for Montenegro FA, as in actual serious hit in the pocket.  And of course find the idiots and ban them for life.

They look Christian?

What do Christians look like?

In any case the claim was "protestant"
    Disgraceful.

And none of them are gay either.
  • whilst i think it is disgusting what was said, my only niggle is in a country like that sterlings celebration could of caused serious harm to the england fans that were there, who were far outnumbered ( not that it should be tolerated but in these countries it is expected due to the ignorance of the home fans )

with the expansion of the comp and more teams playing in it who's home fans have a history of the racist crap it will only get worse. 

uefa need to come in with stadium bans for HOME supporters and points deductions, otherwise it will continue.
    I know what you meant and so did others but you can’t miss a chance to win some moral high ground points whilst attempting to make someone else look bad on here Palarse you know this you’ve been a lifer long enough now.
  • Stadium ban is punishing the 99% of fans that didn’t commit these idiotic acts.  Heavy fines for Montenegro FA, as in actual serious hit in the pocket.  And of course find the idiots and ban them for life.
    Unfortunately banning everyone is the only way to really combat it though, your never going to be able to erradicate it by removing one person each time that they get caught - Not all English fans could be acused of being hooligans during the 80s but didn't stop UEFA from banning all our clubs from continental competitions for five years

Same stance should be taken here
    It was more than 1%.
  • Sponsored links:

It was more than 1%.
    Then ban (insert %) then.
    Unfortunately banning everyone is the only way to really combat it though, your never going to be able to erradicate it by removing one person each time that they get caught - Not all English fans could be acused of being hooligans during the 80s but didn't stop UEFA from banning all our clubs from continental competitions for five years

Same stance should be taken here
    And UEFA were dicks, probably one of the reasons Liverpool are hated today though.  
  • Southgate got the tone of his comments right. There is a slight danger of England coming over a bit pious, attacking other countries for their racism as if we were perfect.

As for the Montenegran fans, less than 25 years ago the area was the scene of a brutal war, with ethnic cleansing against the Bosnian Muslims, so it's sadly not a surprise that people there still have unacceptable attitudes to race. Indeed the Kosovo war was exactly 20 years ago
    It was more than 1%.
    That isn’t feasible. 
    It was more than 1%.
    Or, better yet, set an example and ban 'em all!
    It was more than 1%.
    Would you shut a mosque if a minority of people that attended committed terror acts?  I’m not judging you if you say yes just checking for consistency.
    It was more than 1%.
    Would you shut a mosque if a minority of people that attended committed terror acts?  I’m not judging you if you say yes just checking for consistency.
    If that mosque was found to know what was going on and doing nothing to stop it, yes, I would.
  • se9addick said:
    Stadium ban is punishing the 99% of fans that didn’t commit these idiotic acts.  Heavy fines for Montenegro FA, as in actual serious hit in the pocket.  And of course find the idiots and ban them for life.
    It was more than 1%.
    That isn’t feasible. 
    Why?  It’s 2019, surely their fa can identify via CCTV?  And if they can’t the fine needs to be even heavier for not having it.
  • se9addick said:
    Stadium ban is punishing the 99% of fans that didn’t commit these idiotic acts.  Heavy fines for Montenegro FA, as in actual serious hit in the pocket.  And of course find the idiots and ban them for life.
    It was more than 1%.
    That isn’t feasible. 
    Why?  It’s 2019, surely their fa can identify via CCTV?  And if they can’t the fine needs to be even heavier for not having it.
    I think you significantly overestimate the capability of CCTV
    It was more than 1%.
    If that mosque was found to know what was going on and doing nothing to stop it, yes, I would.
    Fair enough, I only mention this because people are so adamant that innocent people shouldn’t be punished because a small minority in that instance but comfortable yelling for ALL Montenegro fans to be punished here.  I’d say you should favour both or neither.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    It was more than 1%.
    That isn’t feasible. 
    Which is why they should be playing behind closed doors.
  • se9addick said:
    It was more than 1%.
    That isn’t feasible. 
    Which is why they should be playing behind closed doors.
    No, it’s why people that do bad things should be punished and not innocent people.
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    It was more than 1%.
    That isn’t feasible. 
    I think you significantly overestimate the capability of CCTV
    Maybe in that country but it seems to have no problem catching people here.  Which is why I said the fine should be ridiculously heavy so they get their house in order.
  • Southgate got the tone of his comments right. There is a slight danger of England coming over a bit pious, attacking other countries for their racism as if we were perfect.

As for the Montenegran fans, less than 25 years ago the area was the scene of a brutal war, with ethnic cleansing against the Bosnian Muslims, so it's sadly not a surprise that people there still have unacceptable attitudes to race. Indeed the Kosovo war was exactly 20 years ago
    Not just confined to the Yugoslav countries. I know Bulgaria well, and unfortunately there is a lot of racism there, and unless UEFA take tough action , I fear it will be bad in Sofia. Why it is so, I am not quite sure. I can certainly say that it has been allowed to flourish since the fall of Communism. Even one of my good Bulgarian buddies suffers from it, it's like a disease in his head. We were up in Newcastle together for Euro 96 with the BG team, and I discovered the two other BG guys he'd brought with him from Toronto were bloody Holocaust deniers. On our last night we ended up in a club in Whitley Bay, and easily the best looking, sorry the only good looking woman, in a sea of slappers was dark skinned, but he didn't want to go near her.  

Prague is nowhere near as bad, I don't expect trouble here of any kind, unless some England want to start it.
  • Plenty of good coverage of the issue on Talksport today - Darren Bent contributing.

The point has been made that the FA needs to act at home - journalist Darren Lewis very impressive.

I thought Gareth Southgate spoke very well about this.

Not to mention the fact none of them seem very young so will be stuck in the traditions etc. they grew up with

And this is the point, plus which their attitudes will be passed on to future generations. Arrest those individuals responsible, close the stadiums, fine the countries involved, ban them from entering competitions...this will NOT change the mindset of those people responsible for the racist chanting. This will happen again and will fill endless column inches (and Charlton Life) with the same (quite rightly) outraged posters. There is no solution to this problem, only years and years of education.
  • edited March 2019
    yes very good coverage on Talk sport currently, Darren Lewis really gets his (the) point across well, monkey chants are not acceptable, not funny and the whole attitude in these stadiums needs to be addressed, token fines are clearly not enough. I thought Stirling showed great restraint with his celebration.   
  • Punishment of game behind closed doors seems appropriate to me 

The problem would be judging when it is deserved I.e. there’s a spectrum from one individual shouting something racist all the way up to mass crowd chanting of racist abuse. Any racism is too much.... but there would still have to be a judgement here somewhere....
  • Punishment of game behind closed doors seems appropriate to me 

The problem would be judging when it is deserved I.e. there’s a spectrum from one individual shouting something racist all the way up to mass crowd chanting of racist abuse. Any racism is too much.... but there would still have to be a judgement here somewhere....
    Yes, I'm not sure you could ever write such a definition in law. One person seems excessively harsh - imagine if The Valley was closed because one person shouted something - but how many would trigger the closure?
  • due to the croatians behaviour our match vs them in nations league was played behind closed doors - my issue with this is why are england fans that pay £75.00 for 2 years membership banned from attending, stadium bans are always going to unfair on the visiting supporters and the percentage that do not act like wankers

points deductions for a tinpot nation like montenegro arent going to work as they wont qaulify anyway