Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British Airways flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf

A British Airways flight destined for Dusseldorf in Germany has landed in Edinburgh by mistake, after the flight paperwork was submitted incorrectly.

The passengers only realised the error when the plane landed and the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made.

The plane, which started at London's City Airport, was then redirected and landed in Dusseldorf. WDL Aviation ran the BA flight through a leasing deal.

BA said it was working with WDL to find out why it filed the wrong flight plan.

"We have apologised to customers for this interruption to their journey and will be contacting them all individually," BA said in a statement.

BA declined to say how many passengers were affected by the mistake.

BA say the pilot wasn't lost at any point, but because the paperwork said Edinburgh, the flight simply took that route. 

German firm WDL said it was "working closely with the authorities to investigate how the obviously unfortunate mix-up of flight schedules could occur".

"At no time has the safety of passengers been compromised. We flew the passengers on the flight with number BA3271 to Düsseldorf after the involuntary stopover in Edinburgh," it said. 

Sophie Cooke, a 24-year-old management consultant, travels from London To Dusseldorf each week for work.

She said when the pilot first made the announcement that the plane was about to land in Edinburgh everyone assumed it was a joke. She asked the cabin crew if they were serious.

The pilot then asked passengers to raise their hands if they wanted to go to Dusseldorf.

Everyone raised their hands.

"The pilot said he had no idea how it had happened. He said it had never happened before and that the crew was trying to work out what we could do."

Sophie said the plane sat on the tarmac at Edinburgh for two-and-a-half hours, before flying onto Dusseldorf.

"It became very frustrating. The toilets were blocked and they ran out of snacks. It was also really stuffy," she said. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47691478

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Latest news: "After a long and frustrating journey from London City, via an unplanned stop in Edinburgh, British Airways is pleased to announce that the flight has finally, and safely, touched down in Dublin". 
    as against unsafely crashing anywhere?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Beats Ryanair with the airport furthest from the actual city you wanted to visit.
    Its Brexit... Seeing we're going to be unable to leave the country they're preparing to hoodwink people who are going abroad by actually sending them somewhere else in the UK

Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf failed yet the politicians are hoping that sending passengers to Leeds / Bradford instead of Paris will have better results
  • Options
    My theory is that the Captain is a Leave voter and they didn't want to be plastered all over social media and labelled a hypocrite by flying his plane into a European destination outside the UK. 
  • Options
    Surely the fact that they hadn’t flown over any sea would have given the pilot some indication they weren’t in Germany?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I fail to see how this could happen.

I have flown on a few occasions, and I am certain that before take off the pilot will welcome the passengers announcing the flight departure time and DESTINATION.
  • Options
    Cannot help but laugh 
  • Options
    I fail to see how this could happen.

I have flown on a few occasions, and I am certain that before take off the pilot will welcome the passengers announcing the flight departure time and DESTINATION.
    usually an update of the weather in the destination as well
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I had a flight back to City once that was diverted because of the wind to Southend, right touch, home in 10 mins.
    A mate of mine (Prittlewell resident) had that happen to him as well. He was well happy, but apparently there were lots Irish people on his flight going to London. They were ok at first as many assumed that 'London Southend' would be somewhere just south of the city. Rather less pleased to find that they were 40 miles away, the trains had stopped for the night and their choice was hotel or taxi.
  • Options
    That's strange, i'd of thought when they heard the sound of bagpipes instead of an Oompah band...
  • Options
    Surely the fact that they hadn’t flown over any sea would have given the pilot some indication they weren’t in Germany?
    Probably flew over Pitsea 
  • Options
    Has Katrien got a new job as an ait traffic controller?
  • Options
    Something just doesn't add up.

Not one of the passengers or crew noticed they hadn't crossed the Channel and were going in the wrong direction? And if they did nobody alerted the crew so a message could get to the pilot?

Nobody realized until it was announced 'Welcome to Edinburgh?'

If the pilot had paperwork saying Edinburgh fair enough but surely someone on board would have noticed and spoken out?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I think the pilot may have thought the destination was Edinburgh. He did tell the passengers they were about to land in Edinburgh. It doesn't take long to cross the channel, the passengers looking out the windows probably thought they had missed it. More logical to assume that than think you are on you way to Scotland!
  • Options
    Something just doesn't add up.

Not one of the passengers or crew noticed they hadn't crossed the Channel and were going in the wrong direction? And if they did nobody alerted the crew so a message could get to the pilot?

Nobody realized until it was announced 'Welcome to Edinburgh?'

If the pilot had paperwork saying Edinburgh fair enough but surely someone on board would have noticed and spoken out?
    Spoken like a man that doesn’t drink.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019

I always thought a pilot would be a given a schedule of upcoming flights over upcoming days/weeks but it seems they turn up for work, are given a flight plan and then fly to that destination.

On a map, Düsseldorf would be travelling right and Edinburgh would be up, so how no-one knew is beyond me.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I think the pilot may have thought the destination was Edinburgh. He did tell the passengers they were about to land in Edinburgh. It doesn't take long to cross the channel, the passengers looking out the windows probably thought they had missed it. More logical to assume that than think you are on you way to Scotland!
    It still takes long enough to cross the North Sea and in case you're in a window seat and feel like glancing out of the window you also can't help but notice the Thames Estuary widening until the North Sea is reached? Especially flying from City airport it's a given you're going to see mass water en-route and not complete land mass all the way.
  • Options
    Probably a load of ‘jocks’ who thought they were on their way back to Edinburgh currently on the piss in Dusseldorf and can’t believe their luck!
  • Options
    Macronate said:

I always thought a pilot would be a given a schedule of upcoming flights over upcoming days/weeks but it seems they turn up for work, are given a flight plan and then fly to that destination.

On a map, Düsseldorf would be travelling right and Edinburgh would be up, so how no-one knew is beyond me.

In fairness though, there is a fair bit of "up", whatever your destination is. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Not sure what it's like for airlines doing shorter flights, but at Emirates they give you your roster one month in advance, so you know where you'll be flying to, how long you will be there for (as if it's long haul you'll have a layover before flying back) what your rest days are etc.

Remarkable that this lot just turned up and said 'right where are we off to today then' and off they went.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Not sure what it's like for airlines doing shorter flights, but at Emirates they give you your roster one month in advance, so you know where you'll be flying to, how long you will be there for (as if it's long haul you'll have a layover before flying back) what your rest days are etc.

Remarkable that this lot just turned up and said 'right where are we off to today then' and off they went.
    Are you an air steward?
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Are you an air steward?
    Hello sailor!
  • Options
    Reminds me of a flight I was on, from Manchester to southern Spain many years ago - having taken off, the pilot announced we would be flying north at 30,000 feet...  Cue some very questioning passengers!!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Macronate said:

Are you an air steward?
    Hello sailor!
    Lol could be a pilot 
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Are you an air steward?
    Ha ha no my girlfriend is, and our HR manager here is married to a pilot.