Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5 - the run ins...

Comments

• addick05 said:
    Great to great to see the draw and pens at Wembley today. That should help take it out of Pompey and Sunderland, for next games. I'm hoping that we can pinch third spot and pay out on my each way bets to win the leauge. 
    Hopefully it means Sunderland won’t have much confidence going into the penalty shootout against us in the play off final😉

That's what's worrying me. They are the one team I don't want to face IF we get to Wembley - they can't lose three Wembley finals on the trot, surely?
    Actually they have six consecutive defeats at Wembley according to this article:
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/17527695.sunderlands-previous-appearances-at-wembley/

Guess they're cursed at that stadium and I'd like us to play them if we get to the final. :D
  • addick05 said:
    Great to great to see the draw and pens at Wembley today. That should help take it out of Pompey and Sunderland, for next games. I'm hoping that we can pinch third spot and pay out on my each way bets to win the leauge. 
    Hopefully it means Sunderland won’t have much confidence going into the penalty shootout against us in the play off final😉

That's what's worrying me. They are the one team I don't want to face IF we get to Wembley - they can't lose three Wembley finals on the trot, surely?
    Actually they have six consecutive defeats at Wembley according to this article:
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/17527695.sunderlands-previous-appearances-at-wembley/

Guess they're cursed at that stadium and I'd like us to play them if we get to the final. :D
    Wouldn't mind playing Sunderland at Wembley but I feel they'd have too much for us over two legs. 
  • Living on the Isle of Wight, surrounded by Pompey fans, I would love to avoid them in any playoff game as the stick I would get would be unbearable if we lost .... So a 4th place finish for me and someone else knock Pompey out in the 2 legs :-) 
  • edited April 2019
    addick05 said:

They just have! they lost in the 2014 league cup final to Man City 3-1. Not a very lucky ground for them.
    Sorry didn't see @JessieAddick post above mine.
  • Webby said:
    Living on the Isle of Wight, surrounded by Pompey fans, I would love to avoid them in any playoff game as the stick I would get would be unbearable if we lost .... So a 4th place finish for me and someone else knock Pompey out in the 2 legs :-) 
    If we finish 4th we'd likely still play Portsmouth
  • think the easiest game will be whoever finishes 3rd as ultimately they will of come up short 
  • addick05 said:

Ignoring war time matches, I'm not sure we've even played 6 matches at Wembley!

The 1946 and 1947 cup finals, 40 years to the Full Members final in 1987, then 11 years to the 1998 playoff final, which was 21 years ago...
  • Watching yesterday's penalty shootout convinced me we would get hammered in that situation. 
    If we are going up it won't be via a penalty shootout. 
  • Watching yesterday's penalty shootout convinced me we would get hammered in that situation. 
    Taylor
    Cullen
    Bielik
    Solly
    Aribo

I’d fancy them five to do the bizzo.
    Taylor
    Cullen
    Bielik
    Solly
    Aribo

Really. 
    I would not.
  • Sponsored links:

Was thinking this yesterday. It'd be fosu with the fifth pen and he'd dink it down the middle, keeper easily keeping it out. Hope we our midfield can find their shooting boots before the playoffs
    Taylor
    Cullen
    Bielik
    Solly
    Aribo

Sarr instead of Solly and it’s a decent 5.
  • The runs-in.
    Taylor
    Cullen
    Bielik
    Solly
    Aribo

Really. 
    I would not.
    Yeah a young five but a cool and decisive five.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Watching yesterday's penalty shootout convinced me we would get hammered in that situation. 
    Taylor
    Cullen
    Bielik
    Solly
    Aribo

Sarr instead of Solly and it’s a decent 5.
    I thought about Sarr probably have him 6th.
  • edited April 2019
    Bump... Four points between 2nd and 5th..
  • Imagine if we are 3 points away from autos a certain penalty could of cost us dear
  • Must win game coming up vs Luton
  • Just to point out the crucial date... April 30th...

Portsmouth v Peterborough United
    Fleetwood Town v Sunderland

Those are the outstanding games those two have on us; will be four days prior to the last day of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    Unfortunately, the three teams above us all have favourable home games this Saturday.

• Sunderland:
    Coventry (H)
    Doncaster (H)
    Peterborough (A)
    Portsmouth (H)
    Fleetwood (A)
    Southend (A)

Barnsley:
    Fleetwood (H)
    Shrewsbury (H)
    Plymouth (A)
    Blackpool (H)
    Bristol Rovers (A)

Portsmouth:
    Rochdale (H)
    Burton (A)
    Coventry (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Peterborough (H)
    Accrington (H)

Charlton:
    Luton (H)
    Oxford (A)
    Scunthorpe (H)
    Gillingham (A)
    Rochdale (H)
  • edited April 2019
    Just to point out the crucial date... April 30th...

Those are the outstanding games those two have on us; will be four days prior to the last day of the season
    I know it’s not TECHNICALLY the game in hand but Sunderland and Portsmouth still have to play each other which negates the games in hand that they have, to a degree.

Judging the table now you’d have to say we want a Pompey win but that could be totally different by the time we get to that game.

We’ve closed the gap to four, if Sunderland win that extra game then a seven point gap is just too big to overcome.
  • edited April 2019
    Next four look tough for Sunderland. Can’t see them winning all of them... Pompey also have a couple of tough games to play.

Barnsley could well win all five of their games. We’ve got to hope they drop a couple of those, we need three wins max out of five to catch them.
  • Just to point out the crucial date... April 30th...

I know it’s not TECHNICALLY the game in hand but Sunderland and Portsmouth still have to play each other which negates the games in hand that they have, to a degree.

Judging the table now you’d have to say we want a Pompey win but that could be totally different by the time we get to that game.

We’ve closed the gap to four, if Sunderland win that extra game then a seven point gap is just too big to overcome.
    I did not know THAT!!
  • Imagine if we are 3 points away from autos a certain penalty could of cost us dear
    Do you mean Grant v Peterborough?
  • edited April 2019
    se9addick said:
    Imagine if we are 3 points away from autos a certain penalty could of cost us dear
    Do you mean Grant v Peterborough?
    Nah he probably meant Taylor v Rochdale

After all we got a point from Peterborough still; that miss against Rochdale cost us getting anything
  • Bump... Four points between 2nd and 5th..
    You can bump what you want mate,.
    Still not going to make 2nd.
    February f@cked us
  • edited April 2019
    clb74 said:
    Bump... Four points between 2nd and 5th..
    You can bump what you want mate,.
    Still not going to make 2nd.
    February f@cked us
    October fucked us more (total of four points compared to the five we got in February)

Threw away leads against Scunthorpe and Coventry and had that mare of a game at Rochdale which included a missed penalty