Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Birmingam City Deducted 9 Points

Blinking eck, wonder how more of this sort of thing is going to happen, with teams outside the Premier League?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47667742

Comments

• I wonder if they would have done the points deduction if it put them in the bottom 3 .
    yes they are near the bottom 3 but should easily stay up
  • I hope we arn't going to have one of these come out of the woodwork, it would really screw up our season and bid for promotion from this existential purgatory in league one.
  • For a moment I thought that was for the Jack Grealish incident 
  • I wonder if they would have done the points deduction if it put them in the bottom 3 .
    yes they are near the bottom 3 but should easily stay up
    really? Millwall have a game in hand and their last two games are Rotherham and Wigan.
  • I mentioned this on the EFL thread last week.

any points deduction issued before March 28th would apply to this season, any delay in the decision would mean the points would have been deducted next season.
  • I hope we arn't going to have one of these come out of the woodwork, it would really screw up our season and bid for promotion from this existential purgatory in league one.
    I don't think it can happen in League One. The rules about what you can lose are different...I believe (but may be wrong) that losses have to be covered by equity in our division, so the £39m over three season rule does not apply.

• LenGlover said:
    I'm no fan of Birmingham City but with the football authorities it's not what you do but who you are that determines whether or not you are punished for transgressions.

In my opinion.
    Good.

When are Millwall getting some points deducted?

In fact, I think Millwall should start the every season on -12 for being Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well there's a surprise, a team overspending and getting into financial trouble...........with Harry Redknapp as their manager.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    For a moment I thought that was for the Jack Grealish incident 
    Since the thug incident, Birmingham haven't picked up a point and they have now been deducted points unlike QPR who got a big fine for breaking EFL rules.
  • Birmingham can't be the only FL club to overspend, they've not really signed anyone of worth for a few years to my knowledge. This penalty smacks of punishing a club with no realistic hopes of promotion or relegation just to show the EFL are maintaining the rules
  • Birmingham can't be the only FL club to overspend, they've not really signed anyone of worth for a few years to my knowledge. This penalty smacks of punishing a club with no realistic hopes of promotion or relegation just to show the EFL are maintaining the rules
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6840541/Villa-Derby-Sheffield-Wednesday-clubs-face-sanctions.html
  • I don’t like to wish ill on any club, but it would be nice if the EFL could do us a favour, and take some points off of Luton, Barnsley and Sunderland!
    Totally agree, just another example of how utterly unfit for purpose the EFL are,
  • Derby have to be a prime candidate for a deduction. They've spent so much money in the last 5 years putting players on mental wages. They day they lost to QPR at Wembley (fuck knows how) was a killer for them but instead of cutting back, they continued to chase it. Wonder how much Lampard is on a week too?
  • Simonsen said:
    Derby have to be a prime candidate for a deduction. They've spent so much money in the last 5 years putting players on mental wages. They day they lost to QPR at Wembley (fuck knows how) was a killer for them but instead of cutting back, they continued to chase it. Wonder how much Lampard is on a week too?
    I bet Ashley Cole doesn't come cheap either. 
  • I wonder if they will get more points docked for the Grealish incident?
  • Well there's a surprise, a team overspending and getting into financial trouble...........with Harry Redknapp as their manager.
    How was it Redknapps fault? They didn’t have to give him the money 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hmmmmm. So does this mean one of us can go to a Millwall game, pretend to be a fan, then run on the field and push an opposing player, and get them a 9-point deduction? Okay, who is taking one for the team!?
  • Hmmmmm. So does this mean one of us can go to a Millwall game, pretend to be a fan, then run on the field and push an opposing player, and get them a 9-point deduction? Okay, who is taking one for the team!?
    I would reread if I were you...
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, think you should read the thread. Point deduction nothing to do with fan on field!👣
  • I wonder if they will get more points docked for the Grealish incident?
    Did they pay him a bunch of money too?
  • clive said:
    Birmingham can't be the only FL club to overspend, they've not really signed anyone of worth for a few years to my knowledge. This penalty smacks of punishing a club with no realistic hopes of promotion or relegation just to show the EFL are maintaining the rules
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6840541/Villa-Derby-Sheffield-Wednesday-clubs-face-sanctions.html
    The whole process isn't very satisfactory, as surely they need to announce them all at the same time or at least have a "points drop window". As clubs and supporters you carefully watch the league table, work out how many points you need for survival or the playoffs, when suddenly points are being deducted out of the blue (no pun intended!)

Can you imagine the PL suddenly announcing on March 27th than Man City or Chelsea were being docked 9 points?
  • Does anyone actually have any idea at all how a points deduction is worked out?

Luton i remember got deducted 30 points and i'm sure Leeds got a points deduction one season that sent them down and then more for something else to start the following season too.

Every points deduction has been different. 
  • Luton was for their illegal payments to players and agents:  I think Mike Newell gave the initial evidence.  Leeds was for going bankrupt, and declaring it when they were basically guaranteed relegation to the third tier.  So their points were deducted from their next season.  Both totally different scenarios.

Birmingham FC made a loss of 37.5 million last season, and 16.5 million the season before.  This isn't out the blue, Birmingham had a transfer embargo placed on them when the EFL became aware of their 17/18 accounts: they were allowed 5 low cost transfers during the investigation.
  • ColinTat said:
    Luton was for their illegal payments to players and agents:  I think Mike Newell gave the initial evidence.  Leeds was for going bankrupt, and declaring it when they were basically guaranteed relegation to the third tier.  So their points were deducted from their next season.  Both totally different scenarios.

Birmingham FC made a loss of 37.5 million last season, and 16.5 million the season before.  This isn't out the blue, Birmingham had a transfer embargo placed on them when the EFL became aware of their 17/18 accounts: they were allowed 5 low cost transfers during the investigation.
    Staggered how they could lose so much last season, with such a mediocre team, and that their wage bill went up from £22m to £38m, that's crazy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46765090
  • They signed players from Brentford! Didn't they sign about 15 players?  Even if they're on above average championship wages, you'd guess that'd easy cover the increase.
  • edited March 2019
    ColinTat said:
    They signed players from Brentford! Didn't they sign about 15 players?  Even if they're on above average championship wages, you'd guess that'd easy cover the increase.
    They signed Harley Dean for about £2.5m.  He makes RoJo look mobile. Currently.