Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would a tree surgeon know another tree surgeon, had previously got caught in a neighbour dispute ?

Comments

• Options
    CE.....for some strange reason you seem to, on the one hand, be asking for help/ ideas and at the same time come up with a series of excuses to not do anything.
    If you don’t mind me saying so, it seems like you are shit scared to be proactive.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Unbelievable how petty and ignorant some people can be like your neighbours.
     Hope it gets sorted.
  • Options
    CE.....for some strange reason you seem to, on the one hand, be asking for help/ ideas and at the same time come up with a series of excuses to not do anything.
    If you don’t mind me saying so, it seems like you are shit scared to be proactive.
    I need to hold fire until I'm ready for the best course of action.
    He says he's got more companies coming round this weekend to give him further quotes.
    I was just trying to gather opinions as to whether he is lying to me or not.
    He's a lovely bloke, she's an old witch.

Yes I could pay for a surgeon to cut their tree, but I'd rather he paid £500/£1000 to cut his own tree.
    Also, it won't be easy to get them to cut his tree, when it is already about 70/80% bulk on his side.
    I doubt any sensible surgeon would cut more off my side without touching their side, because it would be dangerous and I can't authorise a surgeon to cut their side.

Realistically, I can't do it myself because we are talking of a height above 20 feet. 
  • Options
    Park your car elsewhere. 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/HIBHPT293MI I think you need the one at 4:35
  • Options
    I thought you could cut anything that grows over you boundary and you have to give the cuttings back to your neighbor.
    What if my neighbour cuts his bushes/trees and the bits fall in my garden. I am ok to give them back?
  • Options
    Call special branch
    Be careful, you don't want to be left out on a limb.
  • Options
    He says he's got more companies coming round this weekend to give him further quotes.

Yes I could pay for a surgeon to cut their tree, but I'd rather he paid £500/£1000 to cut his own tree.
    Also, it won't be easy to get them to cut his tree, when it is already about 70/80% bulk on his side.
    I doubt any sensible surgeon would cut more off my side without touching their side, because it would be dangerous and I can't authorise a surgeon to cut their side.

Realistically, I can't do it myself because we are talking of a height above 20 feet. 
    If hes a lovely bloke then im sure u can reason with him and sort it. If not let me know
  • Options
    Being aware of the law is not the same as being shit scared, your advice could easily land CE in court, that's not being proactive, it's being stupid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being aware of the law is not the same as being shit scared, your advice could easily land CE in court, that's not being proactive, it's being stupid.
    My very own stalker is back again.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how discussing something on a discussion forum makes me a stalker, but whatever floats your boat.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how discussing something on a discussion forum makes me a stalker, but whatever floats your boat.
    It doesn’t float my boat but obviously does yours.
    Goodnight!
  • Options
    Being sensible as opposed to scared i think. CE has got do things within the law and try and keep things as amicable as possible with the neighbours.
    In the long term if CE wants to sell the house any dispute will have to be declared. This could be a deal breaker for a lot of people.
  • Options
    Legally you can cut the tree but it is their property and is considered an asset. If the tree goes into terminal decline and causes subsidence as a result of your actions you could be liable for any damages. 

However, you are entitled to notify them in writing that the tree is causing your property damage and that they have a fixed term to resolve it otherwise you will have it resolved using a professional arboriculturist... And at their expense. 

I used to be a tree condition surveyor and this kind of dispute is common. 
  • Options

Could it be that the reason why 70/80% of the bulk is on side is because it’s facing south?
  • Options
    It’s nice to see you branching out for help on here. Don’t be a Sap just cut the tree when they are out or hammer some copper nails in the trunk and watch the tree die. Because nothing will leaf you laughing harder. Sorry but you’re probably barking up the wrong tree. If know one on here can help your Stumped. 
  • Options
    This thread is Peak CL
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Word of caution: you are legally obliged to OFFER any cuttings taken by you from your neighbour’s tree back to him/her ..... however, you are also legally obliged to dispose of them yourself if they say they don’t want them returned. If you simply chuck them over the fence onto their land, they can prosecute you. Trust me, I know this because I have an arsehole neighbour too with a 80ft leylandai on our boundary fence that blocks out all light in the summer after 2pm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    This is what an 80ft leylandai looks like; notice the difference between my side and how much it would have hung over our side until I paid to have it cut back to the boundary fence line last autumn. Makes our large summerhouse look like a dolls house eh!? Check out the one nearer us (left of the picture) that is half way there too. It costs £500 to make a complaint to BROMLEY council to enforce the law of neighbours maintaining this type of tree within the legal height restriction which, worth noting, is about the same height as the summerhouse you can see in the photo. The £500 is non-refundable even if your complaint is totally valid.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    If your neighbour is a nice bloke, it might be worth trying to sort the problem as a joint venture between you. You shouldn’t really have to be getting a cover for your car because of their tree, and I think any reasonable person would understand that.
    You need to stress you are showing consideration for them and the law by not proceeding with action your side because their tree might become unstable.
    So offer it as a - what can we do between us to sort this out?
    Prob best to stay calm, and focus on fixing the issue. It’s not personal, it’s just a thing to sort. Very EASY to say, I know, but having been there myself, it’s often the best way to deal with it.
    And if all else fails, send the boys round. I know these tree fellas.... ;)
  • Options
    It’s nice to see you branching out for help on here. Don’t be a Sap just cut the tree when they are out or hammer some copper nails in the trunk and watch the tree die. Because nothing will leaf you laughing harder. Sorry but you’re probably barking up the wrong tree. If know one on here can help your Stumped. 
    Well if we're going that low....

I always wanted to be a tree surgeon but couldn't stand the sight of sap.
  • Options

Demolish your house and have it re-built where the drive currently lays.

Have the drive re-laid on the other side of your plot.

• Options
    Bore a 5/8” hole deep as you can and fill hole with stump killer. Get the hole as low as possible so it’s not too obvious.  This time of year it works well. Should start to see the improvement by the end of summer.
    A friend of mine had a problem with a tree to close to the border.
    Interesting, but they could sue me if I killed the tree.

They may go down that root.

Just look them in the eye and tell them trees die all the time and  it was a sick old tree and probably died through lack of care and poor pruning which may well have let an infection into the tree. 

• Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Legally you can cut the tree but it is their property and is considered an asset. If the tree goes into terminal decline and causes subsidence as a result of your actions you could be liable for any damages. 

However, you are entitled to notify them in writing that the tree is causing your property damage and that they have a fixed term to resolve it otherwise you will have it resolved using a professional arboriculturist... And at their expense. 

I used to be a tree condition surveyor and this kind of dispute is common. 
    Thanks, I haven't found anything on t'net  stating I can have it resolved at their expense. Do you have a link please? 
  • Options

Could it be that the reason why 70/80% of the bulk is on side is because it’s facing south?
    No it's because more was cut off last time on my side and then I cut off more myself. 
  • Options
    Picture of this tree would of this tree would be interesting  ?
  • Options
    This thread is Peak CL
    I was hoping so.