Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rewards credit card suggestions please!

edited March 2019 in Not Sports Related
Turning to the Charlton Life family for some recommendations here. We've cancelled our credit card as the rewards have changed (airmiles) and are no longer worth it - and we didn't use the airmiles enough anyway.  Looking for a credit card to maximise rewards, preferably cashback or vouchers.  We pay off the balance each month and don't use abroad or for cashback etc. and don't need a balance transfer.  Considering M&S or John Lewis cards but we don't really shop in either of those enough to make them worthwhile.  Have been looking for a while but nothing seems great value (aside for the 'something for nothing' bit...).

Anyone got any suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    The man @rob7lee knows his stuff on things like this 
  • Options
    I can't imagine anywhere better to go for advice like this than MSE.  Here's the link: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-credit-card-rewards/
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I can't imagine anywhere better to go for advice like this than MSE.  Here's the link: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-credit-card-rewards/
    Thanks @Chizz - I've been looking at MSE a lot to help me decide, but it tends to prioritise the balance transfer and APR over rewards etc. Was hoping someone had a gem in there that was worthwhile.  Considering the Amex Platinum but the £25 fee is offputting (though the uncapped rewards makes it more interesting...).  The card I just cancelled was an Amex duo with Lloyds, so they gave you a Mastercard as well to use if the retailer didn't accept Amex (they were one account, but 2 cards), but the Amex has been withdrawn now and the airmiles are rubbish!
  • Options
    The Amex Gold is decent for miles if you want that back. Bonuses all over the place. I've managed around 200k avios in two years by using that and the BA Amex. I got the gold, cancelled after the year, referred partner and she done the same.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The man @rob7lee knows his stuff on things like this 
    :smile:

I have an Amercian express platinum for cash back but have had it for years so have a slightly better deal than they have now (better cash back and no £25 fee), where that's not accepted I used a Tandem card (0.5%), lower cash back but cash back all the same.

Take the American Express, 5% cash back for the first 3 months then variable depending how much you spend. You get one and add your wife/partner as a additional card holder, then at three months she takes one and adds you, so in effect you get six months at 5%. It's only on the first £2k though  but thats £100 each if you can spend that.

I can give you a referral code, means I get £20 which i'll give to the Amsterdam cycle for Prostate Cancer, and for anyone else if they want it. 

http://amex.co.uk/refer/andrebyrjm?XLINK=MYCP

Then sign up for a Tandem card as well, no fee. Think theres a referral for Amazon vouchers.

I have a Post Office Money card as was giving 0% on purchases for 28 months although think they have cut that period now to 24 months. I bounce around various 0% cards to earn money, I at one point some years back when egg money was around had about £80k on 0%, banked the £80k earning about 5% on it, was great, bank lends you money at 0%, pay it into another bank and earn 5%, those were the days........
  • Options
    PS, if you use that link and spend £3k a year I believe they waive the £25 fee.
  • Options
    Thanks all, really helpful. @Rob7Lee The Amex Platinum is good, but leaning towards the Costco Amex which pays 1% on transactions (£300pa cap), 2% on travel (no cap) and 3% on restaurants (no cap), with no annual fee. You have to have Costco membership but we have that anyway. I don't think we'll breath the £300 cap given travel and food are calculated separately. 

Good idea 're Tandem, might pick that up after for where The Amex isn't accepted.

@cafcpolo Thanks- the gold does look good but we're not travelling enough to make use of the air miles so looking at cashback instead!
  • Options
    Don't forget the 5% for the first 3 months on the standard platinum.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I have the Tesco one, get about £30-35 every 3 months in vouchers which I then trade for x3 times their value on the clubcard spending site and use for family outings etc.  I do shop in Tesco though where I think you get more points per £ spend.  Not very glamorous but works for us!