Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Match Thread | Saturday 16th March 2019

Comments

• Harsh on Naby. Would put money that Pratley will be replaced at half time 
  • Carried over from the Preview but think its sensible from Bowyer

Pearce hasn't played since the Barnsley game ... Bradford is the start of the run in so need to get everyone match fit for the cruical stage of the season

It could be really harsh on Naby because if Jason were to put in a MOTM performance today then it makes Bowyer's job even harder in two weeks as would you drop him to bring back the former (who in his own right hasn't done enough to be dropped) - I think though from the sight of a fully fit Midfield against Portsmouth to the Midfield we have now proves that we cant rely on all our Defence now being fully fit
  • Quite a defensive midfield on paper. Hope Bielik, Pratley and Cullen can keep out of each other's way.
  • 2 Clarkes and a Clarke-Harris in the Rovers team, @LouisMend will be thankful that Billy Clarke is no longer with us
  • edited March 2019
    2 Clarkes and a Clarke-Harris in the Rovers team, @LouisMend will be thankful that Billy Clarke is no longer with us
    Its the last train to Clarkesville

I'll get me coat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Louis Mendez‏ @LouisMend 2m2 minutes ago
    Chris Maxwell is floating crosses over for Dillon Phillips to catch in the warm-up, but the wind is taking them all over the gaff. #cafc
  • Louis Mendez‏ @LouisMend 2m2 minutes ago
    Chris Maxwell is floating crosses over for Dillon Phillips to catch in the warm-up, but the wind is taking them all over the gaff. #cafc
    Never eat chilli the night before a game 
  • edited March 2019
    Blimey, that midfield!  

Bowyer mentioned Sarr was not 100% the other day, so with Pearce about then it seems sensible to rest him.  

Nice to see Beilik back - hope not too early.  

Would have preferred Lapslie, Fosu, Marshall, Parker or if fit, Morgan to Pratley.
  • set pieces going to play a big part in today's game. 
  • Quite a defensive midfield on paper. Hope Bielik, Pratley and Cullen can keep out of each other's way.
    Bielik not in mid

3-5-2 with Pearce, Bielik and BFG and CB
  • redman said:
    set pieces going to play a big part in today's game. 
    According to the Sun (no, don't laugh), Charlton's penalty against Burton was their 10th league goal, scored from the spot this season, first club to reach that total in all 4 top leagues
    Bielik not in mid

3-5-2 with Pearce, Bielik and BFG and CB
    Dunno how I feel about either Dijksteel or Purrington as Wing Backs though
  • not sure i would of made that many changes but good to get minutes into Pearce and Prattley
  • ross1 said:
    redman said:
    According to the Sun (no, don't laugh), Charlton's penalty against Burton was their 10th league goal, scored from the spot this season, first club to reach that total in all 4 top leagues
    Afternoon mate.
    What time you switching to the non league thread .

Sorry Ross
    Couldn't help myself. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sarr is now first choice ahead of Pearce but we need the latter fit for the run in so I guess Bowyer is just trying to get a game into him. Naby deserves a breather. Can’t see many goals in that line up I’m afraid. 
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c8cf470e7441/team-news-five-changes-for-charlton-at-bristol-rovers

Lee Bowyer has made five changes to his starting XI for Saturday’s Sky Bet League One clash at Bristol Rovers.

The Addicks have won their last two matches – beating Portsmouth and Burton Albion in very physical games at The Valley – and the Charlton manager has freshened his pack by changing half of his outfield.

Academy graduate Dillon Phillips keeps his place in goal and, in front of him, the south-east Londoners may deploy a 3-5-2 formation. 

Patrick Bauer, Krystian Bielik – fit again after a hamstring injury – and skipper Jason Pearce are expected to form a back three. Anfernee Dijksteel and Ben Purrington will provide additional protection in the wing-back areas.

Darren Pratley, Ben Reeves and Josh Cullen make up a midfield trio and ahead of them Igor Vetokele and Lyle Taylor will lead the line.

On the bench, Bowyer could call upon seven players, including Joe Aribo who has been struggling with illness over the last few days. 

Thats where i got the 3-5-2 from

• edited March 2019
    Set up for the expected blood and guts battle in the wind and rain. 

Glad to see Igor's good work v Pompey recognised by Bowyer.

Options off the bench too

Up the Addicks
  • ross1 said:
    redman said:
    Afternoon mate.
    What time you switching to the non league thread .

Sorry Ross
    Couldn't help myself. 
    If it was the other way round, I would probably say the same. I will try to stay on course, but I am confident someone will let me know if I do not  :)
  • edited March 2019
    I hope this is incorrect! 

I'd expect Bauer RCB, Pearce LCB and Bielik CB.

• Super Saarb Naby, hope we don’t need him as emergency striker late on chasing the game...
  • The weirdest thing about dropping Sarr is that he was basically built to be one of a back three. That's like his optimal position 
  • Well, I guess it's Bowyer's way to play both Beilik and Cullen in the same team.

Pearcey back because the team needs it's leader.

Unless Naby is truly struggling, then I personally would have kept him left side CB, in a 5-3-2.
    I just hope Pearce doesn't get exposed on the floor.

Pratley hasn't had much game time recently - and got to hope no late lunges because he's not sharp enough to get there first. Pratley and Cullen holding, Reeves as the 10, perhaps? 

Igor up front was always going to happen - after his long spell out, he was never going to be ready to play 3 games in a week; but always going to play today.

• We may start 5-3-2 ..... but I wouldn't be surprised if we revert to diamond for the last half hour.

• A goal fest this will not be.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!