Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrible Mosque Shooting in New Zealand

Comments

• Options
    Anning is only a senator by default. Blokes an arse.
  • Options
    RIP to the victims, and feel for the families and friends of the deceased and seriously wounded.

The "white supremacy" gunmen don't seem to kill themselves as a rule after their murderous rampage. Anders Breivik didn't and then wanted time in court to explain his actions !

I was surprised that 1 in 3 people have a gun in New Zealand, I wonder if that's because of hunting as a sport or because of farmers protecting their live stock ?
    Re your last paragraph.
    Where did you get that info from......given that one third of the population are almost certainly too young to own a gun.....that means that half the adult population must own one......that I very much doubt.
    You got some duff information there I reckon.
    The population of New Zealand in approx 5 million......and there are approx 250,000 gun licence holders.
    Work it out for yourself.
    American civilians are estimated to own nearly 400 million firearms, or about 120 per 100 people. In New Zealand, civilians hold about 1.5 million firearms, averaging out to about one gun per three people in a country of about 5 million.

Now obviously a lot of people will own more than one gun, so 1 in 3 might be a little out, but hardly duff info.

There's an amazing new website for checking stuff like this, www.google.co.uk
    But only about 250,000 New Zealander’s actually own a gun.....that’s not one third of the population is it......which is what soapbox was implying.
    Anyway....... it’s still too many IMHO.
    I thought it sounded too many when that figure was quoted on BBC 24 hour news.

They said the population was just over 4 + a half  million, which is correct but sound like 10% at the most would have guns.

• Options
    Wondered why in most of the court footage the attackers face is blurred, then discovered it was because he was basically smirking and smiling during it, and news companies felt it was insensitive to show.

Hope the scumbag gets sent to somewhere like Guantanamo for the rest of his life, as death will be too good for him.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Wasnt it Prescott that done something similar in UK? Not sure why they are restraining the guy like that though
    There’s a bit of a difference in that Prescott’s ‘attacker’ was a big bloke in his thirties, and this one looks like a skinny teenager. 
    Good luck to him I say. 
  • Options
    Wondered why in most of the court footage the attackers face is blurred, then discovered it was because he was basically smirking and smiling during it, and news companies felt it was insensitive to show.

Hope the scumbag gets sent to somewhere like Guantanamo for the rest of his life, as death will be too good for him.
    The judge ordered the media to blur his face. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Chizz said:
    Wasnt it Prescott that done something similar in UK? Not sure why they are restraining the guy like that though
    There’s a bit of a difference in that Prescott’s ‘attacker’ was a big bloke in his thirties, and this one looks like a skinny teenager. 
    Good luck to him I say. 
    What if he had a knife as well as an egg?
  • Options
    They say NZ will never be the same again.  One lesser debate centres around re-naming NZ’s top provincial rugby team, the Canterbury Crusaders.  The Crusades date back to the  eleventh through to the thirteenth century, campaigns to reclaim religious sites sacred to both Christians and Muslims.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47605542

Interesting question about whether football should have honoured the victims, especially as they did at the rugby. Personally I think there are too many minutes silences or applause, buy it does lead to justifiable questions about double standards if you have it for one atrocity but not another one
  • Options
    Im sure Liverpool will have one. 
  • Options
    Yes.  And good for them for doing so.  When a team's best player is a Muslim, and is so well loved by the team's fans, it's easy to understand how an atrocity against Muslims would make the club want to show empathy and compassion.  
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chizz said:
    Good luck to him I say. 
    What if he had a knife as well as an egg?
    What if he had a nuclear missile and a bayonette 
  • Options

Interesting question about whether football should have honoured the victims, especially as they did at the rugby. Personally I think there are too many minutes silences or applause, buy it does lead to justifiable questions about double standards if you have it for one atrocity but not another one
    New Zealand is arguably the predominant Rugby Union nation in the world so appropriate for the rugby fraternity to come together.

Association football is not such a big deal out there so perhaps that was the thinking of the football authorities.

I'm not expressing a view one way or the other on the rights and wrongs either way but just trying to rationalise the various thought processes.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

If you want to have a minute's silence for every atrocity that takes place you'll be doing it every week.

Public displays of grief/solidarity at football matches come across as mawkish when the events have no direct links with the sport or the local community. If we're going to have a minutes silence for the victims in New Zealand why not also do so for every mass shooting on America, mine collapse in China or car bomb in Iraq? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Yes.  And good for them for doing so.  When a team's best player is a Muslim, and is so well loved by the team's fans, it's easy to understand how an atrocity against Muslims would make the club want to show empathy and compassion.  
    I think you’ve missed the point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Under normal circumstances I’d call the kid a word we can’t use here any more, but this Anning bloke is a deeply unpleasant individual. And it was just an egg. 
    The New Zealand Prime Minister has taken the kid’s side, and is calling for Anning to be prosecuted. 

• Options
    A crass statement, but a true statement is about to be made.

Why didn't God save my good Christian friend from Cancer as she prayed every day of her life before dying a painful death from skin cancer in 2017,(53 years old) 15 weeks in Crawley hospice on morphine. The only thing she prayed for herself was could she make her son's wedding in August, she didn't but the lovely staff arranged a blessing in a small room by a Chaplin who visited the Hospice.

The decent Muslim folk who prayed up to 5 times a day and lead good lives yet die a terrible death from a crazed gunman.
    So many different faiths that have been murdered over 2 millennium.

So many prays to no avail. I get annoyed when people thank god for saving their child yet can't see how shocking and insulting to other decent parents who lose their children to illnesses or in these cases terrorists.

RIP to the 50, plus all victims of crazed deluded folk, including in the Netherlands today.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Not really the point though James is it. We now live in a world where a kid like this can stand behind a grown man with a mobile phone filming while he smashes an egg on his head. 

Anning might be unpleasant but 10 years ago a kid of that age would probably not even think about getting that close and doing something like that, the egg would have been lobbed from a distance at best.

I would not have lost any sleep if Anning had decked the kid and knocked him sparko and then stamped on his mobile phone, he would have deserved it.

The fella has called for a final solution for Muslims. I’m happy for people to stand up to someone is basically a nazi. 
    We live in a society, fortunately, where freedom of speech is acceptable, as abhorrant as the speech content may be disageeable to some.

The action of the young lad is unlawful (assault) and is simply not acceptable.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Not really the point though James is it. We now live in a world where a kid like this can stand behind a grown man with a mobile phone filming while he smashes an egg on his head. 

Anning might be unpleasant but 10 years ago a kid of that age would probably not even think about getting that close and doing something like that, the egg would have been lobbed from a distance at best.

I would not have lost any sleep if Anning had decked the kid and knocked him sparko and then stamped on his mobile phone, he would have deserved it.

The fella has called for a final solution for Muslims. I’m happy for people to stand up to someone is basically a nazi. 
    We live in a society, fortunately, where freedom of speech is acceptable, as abhorrant as the speech content may be disageeable to some.

Its a choice you make, knowing there will be a price to pay. If you consider it a point worth making despite the inevitable penalties, you'll chuck the egg anyway. Same principle as the professional foul in football.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    IdleHans said:
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:

Its a choice you make, knowing there will be a price to pay. If you consider it a point worth making despite the inevitable penalties, you'll chuck the egg anyway. Same principle as the professional foul in football.

Thanks @IdleHans, I understand your point  However, as I stated one action is unlawful and the other lawful. Cant see how anybody can condone unlawful actions
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:

Then why is the kid not the one who’s likely to be prosecuted? Good to see a kid with balls in an age when so many are wrapped up in computer games etc. 
    Should the eastenders not have prevented Moseley from marching through their patch in the thirties, in the interest of free speech? This kid was far less physical than they were. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Chizz said:
    I think you’ve missed the point.
    Nope.  I just refused to acknowledge it. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:

Then why is the kid not the one who’s likely to be prosecuted? Good to see a kid with balls in an age when so many are wrapped up in computer games etc. 
    Should the eastenders not have prevented Moseley from marching through their patch in the thirties, in the interest of free speech? This kid was far less physical than they were. 
    Maybe it is good on the kid but when they backchat teachers you will probably say they should have respect. Can’t have it both ways I’m afraid, anyway we are so far from the atrocity now and the whole non political on threads is just going to cause the mods agg