Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrible Mosque Shooting in New Zealand

Comments

• Options
    Gunman had a license for his weapons and was not known to security services. 

"NZ news website Newshub has been speaking to members of a rifle club attended by the alleged gunman.

The club's vice-president, Scott Williams, said the man had been a member since 2018 but he "never gave anyone reason to suspect he would carry out an attack like he has".

"The club is feeling, shocked stunned, and a bit betrayed that we've had this person in our club that would do these horrible things."

Not really a surprise though because i'd assume that if you were planning an attack you would do whatever you could to act normal and not draw attention to yourself.

• Options

"NZ news website Newshub has been speaking to members of a rifle club attended by the alleged gunman.

The club's vice-president, Scott Williams, said the man had been a member since 2018 but he "never gave anyone reason to suspect he would carry out an attack like he has".

"The club is feeling, shocked stunned, and a bit betrayed that we've had this person in our club that would do these horrible things."

Not really a surprise though because i'd assume that if you were planning an attack you would do whatever you could to act normal and not draw attention to yourself.

Why the f do we need rifle clubs?! 
    Get another hobby. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Get another hobby. 
    Exactly - never understood why anyone wants to own a rifle.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Get another hobby. 
    A mate of mine once got whacked with a golf club while we were walking home from the pub and was lucky to escape with a massive split head. I'm happy to ban them as well

Rest in peace to all the victims I can't get my head around what's happened 
  • Options
    Absolutely shocking and sick. White supremacy is becoming one of the plagues of humanity and must be taken as seriously as all other types of terrorism. RIP to the victims.
  • Options
    Absolutely shocking and sick. White supremacy is becoming one of the plagues of humanity and must be taken as seriously as all other types of terrorism. RIP to the victims.
    I agree with you @CharltonMadrid. But while there are mainstream politicians, such as Trump, who court them as part of their constituency, they will continue to attract more adherents than they would if shunned and vilified by those in positions of power.  

It is also important there is a strong counter-voice to the poison they preach, from all sections of society and the media.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    RIP to the victims, and feel for the families and friends of the deceased and seriously wounded.

The "white supremacy" gunmen don't seem to kill themselves as a rule after their murderous rampage. Anders Breivik didn't and then wanted time in court to explain his actions !

I was surprised that 1 in 3 people have a gun in New Zealand, I wonder if that's because of hunting as a sport or because of farmers protecting their live stock ?
  • Options
    Extremists of all types have found it easier to push their vile ideologies via the internet - there needs to be better intelligence and more vigilance from internet providers and social media companies.

If you communicate in an echo chamber your views will become ever more extreme and normalised within the community you mix with. 

I really don't know how you deal with these disgusting hate filled extremists who may be a minority but can do significant damage.

What makes it worse is world leaders failing to condemn their views and actions as it emboldens them. Trump's failure in this area is disgusting.

I felt desperately sad after the events yesterday - impossible to understand someone who can hate so much.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    RIP to the victims, and feel for the families and friends of the deceased and seriously wounded.

The "white supremacy" gunmen don't seem to kill themselves as a rule after their murderous rampage. Anders Breivik didn't and then wanted time in court to explain his actions !

I was surprised that 1 in 3 people have a gun in New Zealand, I wonder if that's because of hunting as a sport or because of farmers protecting their live stock ?
    Re your last paragraph.
    Where did you get that info from......given that one third of the population are almost certainly too young to own a gun.....that means that half the adult population must own one......that I very much doubt.
    You got some duff information there I reckon.
    The population of New Zealand in approx 5 million......and there are approx 250,000 gun licence holders.
    Work it out for yourself.
  • Options

Re your last paragraph.
    Where did you get that info from......given that one third of the population are almost certainly too young to own a gun.....that means that half the adult population must own one......that I very much doubt.
    The population of New Zealand in approx 5 million......and there are approx 250,000 gun licence holders.
    A quick google finds some quite shocking results. A million and a half guns owned by civilians!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Historically NZ is a much more rural society than the UK, thus hunting and shooting pests is much more of a normal thing. 

I thought the figure was that there was 1 gun for every 4 persons in NZ which isn't the same, as it's a small number of people owning more than one gun.
  • Options

Re your last paragraph.
    American civilians are estimated to own nearly 400 million firearms, or about 120 per 100 people. In New Zealand, civilians hold about 1.5 million firearms, averaging out to about one gun per three people in a country of about 5 million.

Now obviously a lot of people will own more than one gun, so 1 in 3 might be a little out, but hardly duff info.

There's an amazing new website for checking stuff like this, www.google.co.uk
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Wiki says that NZ is 20th on the world list of firearm ownership.

Number 2 is The Falkland Islands!

USA has over 390m unregistered firearms :o
  • Options

Re your last paragraph.
    American civilians are estimated to own nearly 400 million firearms, or about 120 per 100 people. In New Zealand, civilians hold about 1.5 million firearms, averaging out to about one gun per three people in a country of about 5 million.

Now obviously a lot of people will own more than one gun, so 1 in 3 might be a little out, but hardly duff info.

But only about 250,000 New Zealander’s actually own a gun.....that’s not one third of the population is it......which is what soapbox was implying.
    Anyway....... it’s still too many IMHO.
  • Options

Re your last paragraph.

But only about 250,000 New Zealander’s actually own a gun.....that’s not one third of the population is it......which is what soapbox was implying.
    250k have a license, that's not the same thing. Wiki suggests up to 400k own a gun.
  • Options
    Not wanting to detract from the main theme of the thread, which was paying respect to the victims and calling out the perpetrator for what he is (a nutcase), but in the interest of balance - This bloke appears to have had a licence, which means the NZ system of issuing licences MAY need to be looked at, but when was the last time a licenced NZ citizen shot anybody with their legally held firearm? 

• Options
    Not wanting to detract from the main theme of the thread, which was paying respect to the victims and calling out the perpetrator for what he is (a nutcase), but in the interest of balance - This bloke appears to have had a licence, which means the NZ system of issuing licences MAY need to be looked at, but when was the last time a licenced NZ citizen shot anybody with their legally held firearm? 

The point surely is a review of the type of guns people hold and the amount of weaponry. Why on earth should anyone hold the amount of weaponry this guy had - it's madness and asking for trouble.

• Options
    Ban any semi-automatic/automatic weapon. 

There is no reason to own any gun more powerful than a handgun by the public. Even handguns I don't see the appeal. 
  • Options

Re your last paragraph.

250k have a license, that's not the same thing. Wiki suggests up to 400k own a gun.
    Which is around one twelfth of the population NOT one third!
    Anyway....enough of this, it must be boring everyone stiff....his comment is way out whatever way you want to apply the statistics.
  • Options

There is no reason to own any gun more powerful than a handgun by the public. Even handguns I don't see the appeal. 
    I think I read yesterday that they tightened their gun laws a few years back, but didn’t ban semi-automatic weapons. You just need a separate license. Why any country would allow a member of the public to own one of these is beyond me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

While I agree with your post.
    Banning guns will not stop a lunatic from carrying out mass murder.
    As we have seen several times driving a vehicle into crowds of people can have a similar effect .
    I wish I had the answer to stopping these types of attacks but I don't. 
  • Options

I think I read yesterday that they tightened their gun laws a few years back, but didn’t ban semi-automatic weapons. You just need a separate license. Why any country would allow a member of the public to own one of these is beyond me. 
    I’m quite sure they won’t be able to for much longer. 
  • Options

As we have seen several times driving a vehicle into crowds of people can have a similar effect .
    Even the worst of vehicle offences don't have anything like the bodycount of a shooting. There is a spate of knife crime right here in the UK but how much worse could that have been if guns were used instead?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Even the worst of vehicle offences don't have anything like the bodycount of a shooting. There is a spate of knife crime right here in the UK but how much worse could that have been if guns were used instead?
    Firearms that would be used instead of knives in the types of crimes you're talking about would more than likely not be licenced firearms. I think it's important to not confuse crimes that are committed using illegally held firearms and those committed by people who have the necessary documentation. But this is going away from the thread.....
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Firearms that would be used instead of knives in the types of crimes you're talking about would more than likely not be licenced firearms. I think it's important to not confuse crimes that are committed using illegally held firearms and those committed by people who have the necessary documentation. But this is going away from the thread.....
    Why do they not have any guns though? 

Because they don't have access to them as they are banned. 
  • Options
    Anning is almost the dictionary definition of a wrong'un
  • Options
    I don't read papers or watch the NEWS programs these days. The basic inhumanity these days just leaves me either speechless or at bursting point blood pressure wise.
    Abuse of kids by the powerful or the ignoring of the abuse-----mass murder and slavery in the name of an ideology /death cult / religion. Kids knifing each other for a pic on social media. 

I can't do anything about the above,but i can offer by being a volunteer for the old and vulnerable,by being a trustee for a community hall, registered to help for food banks----- in the big picture it's feck all but it's my attempt to offer back a bit of humanity and care.

The big and the powerful really don't big a rat's shit about us/you or what we do to each other unless there is a vote or a shilling for them in it.

Choose to help,care and be human
    Tremendous post this.
  • Options
    We do not have a right to bear arms type culture here. Most weapons are rifles to go hunting wild deer, pigs etc . Shotguns for duck shooting and a bunch of .22 rifles for rabbit shooting and the like. In general If you are not into hunting you will not own a weapon. Police don’t carry guns because no one else generally does day to day. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Wasnt it Prescott that done something similar in UK? Not sure why they are restraining the guy like that though