Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lights out at Scarborough

Doesn't seem that long ago they were in the league - now they're gone:
Scarborough Football Club has gone out of busines with debts of £2.5m.

The former Football League club was wound up at Leeds High Court at a hearing on Wednesday morning.

Boro hoped the local council would lift a covenant on their McCain Stadium so it could be sold for residential use to cover debts and finance a new ground.

But the judge hearing the case felt a rescue package was unlikely in the face of mounting debts which include a sum of £820,000 owed to the Inland Revenue.

Comments

• Terrible - I hate to see teams going out of business (unless it was Palaaarse of course)
  • Not good news.

Feel for the Boro fans losing their club but the impact on other non-league and maybe some other bigger clubs could be serious. Means banks could be a little tighter and the inland revenue a lot quicker to chase debts so forcing other clubs under.
  • such a shame to see any small club bite the bullet.

Anyone been to their ground ?
  • No doubt Scarborough "Phoenix" will rise from the ashes of their demise.
  • The really tragic thing with this is that it won't even make a ripple in the cesspit that is the upper echelons of the football league and premiershit.

All they owed was what we have probably already paid Hassletank or Marcus Bent
  • didn't they play chelsea in the cup a couple of years ago live on sky as well.
  • so how many clubs is it now that have actually gone under and out of business?

and i dont mean administration or any of that, i mean out/finished/kaput?
  • Always remember when Jossy took all the lads to Scarborough on Jossy's Giants.....
  • Went to Scarboro to watch the mighty 'Poole about 5 years ago. Nice tidy little ground, very close to the coast and promenade.

Bit of a local derby and both sets of fans were extremely old Skool.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]didn't they play chelsea in the cup a couple of years ago live on sky as well.

I also seem to recall them dumping Chelsea out of the cup in the 1989/90 season
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Scarborough vs Hartlepool, as 1905 says was a nice tidy little ground,stood on the terracing opposite the main stand, good atmosphere, good banter between both sets of fans, and a good game as well.
  • A great shame. One of my daughters lives in Scarborough at the moment and it's a nice ground.

There appears to have been a catalogue of mismanagement over quite a few years from what I can gather from locals I've spoken to up there.

Neil Redfearn was allegedly owed a lot of wages at one point when he was there. I don't know whether he ever got paid.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite] I don't know whether he ever got paid.
    just over fed
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I don't know whether he ever got paid.
    just over fed

No doubt on McCains Chips
  • What's the thing with Dartford being placed in Ryman North??
  • Saw them play Newcastle in a pre-season friendly when I was on holiday there once. Think it could have been their first season in the football league. Gazza was playing for Newcastle. Gutted for them.
  • Let's hope that scarborough can get back on track like AFC Telford and climb back up through the pyramid.

Wonder what the scarborough fans will hope for,think the nearest ground/team to watch is Whitby, another nice ground well worth a visit if you can get along.

brilliant pubs and top fish and chips.
  • Inland Revenue, owed £820,000.......doesn't it make your heart leap for joy - when you read that grey suited, grey minded, non-productive little people can, on whim, snuff out a major community institution?
  • I went Gravesend v Scarborough a few seasons back!they brought about 250 and stood in the rain the whole game singing!i remember thinking good on them,a long way to travel for that type of game and what true fans they were.A real shame i wonder what team they will follow now.
  • 250 away supporters? - that's more than we took in the Prem, some games......
  • Sponsored links:

• I know,but yes they did bring approx that i would say and from memory they were not doing well either
  • Good point Carter. Awful, isn't it? Can't claim to know a thing about the irregularities etc., but to let a team that was in the League so recently just wither away seems dreadful. I wonder how McCain's financial arrangement with them stood - did they just stand by and watch, or had they already sunk loads into a sinking ship? Would've been nice to be kept abreast by the mainstream media, but obviously which brain-dead bint M Bent was hanging out with was far more important