Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views - Charlton v Burton

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Croydon said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Purrington has tried to get forward more of late no doubt with the encouragement of the management. We were told he is a steady Eddie and he is, although has been at fault for some goals conceded recently.

Others have pointed out that you need attacking full backs or at least one when playing the diamond formation and I think his backwards sideways mindset does him no favours. An attacking outlet like Da Silva he certainly isn't and apart from Djiksteels performance on the other flank v Pompey the RB slot has also been been lacking attack wise IMO. On the plus side he has given us a bit more height and better balance in Page's absence.
    I think he has improved us. 
    Yes of course compared to playing people out of position as we had to. If he was that good however he would have been playing in Championship Rothetham's 1st eleven and not loaned out to relegation favourites Wimbledon.
    So you agree he has improved us, that’s all that  needs to be said. We’re no longer getting run all over the shop by the opposition’s right mid, so he’s been a great loan addition.
    Easy tiger, AFKA asked why some are critical of Purrington and if you read my initial post I have tried to explain why as I see it. He's been an improvement on what we had which is stating the obvious, a good loan signing yes but great??? And that doesn't make him immune from criticism or credit when due  ;).
  • RedChaser said:
    Croydon said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Purrington has tried to get forward more of late no doubt with the encouragement of the management. We were told he is a steady Eddie and he is, although has been at fault for some goals conceded recently.

Others have pointed out that you need attacking full backs or at least one when playing the diamond formation and I think his backwards sideways mindset does him no favours. An attacking outlet like Da Silva he certainly isn't and apart from Djiksteels performance on the other flank v Pompey the RB slot has also been been lacking attack wise IMO. On the plus side he has given us a bit more height and better balance in Page's absence.
    Yes of course compared to playing people out of position as we had to. If he was that good however he would have been playing in Championship Rothetham's 1st eleven and not loaned out to relegation favourites Wimbledon.
    So you agree he has improved us, that’s all that  needs to be said. We’re no longer getting run all over the shop by the opposition’s right mid, so he’s been a great loan addition.
    Easy tiger, AFKA asked why some are critical of Purrington and if you read my initial post I have tried to explain why as I see it. He's been improvement on what we had which is stating the obvious a good loan signing yes but great??? And that doesn't make him immune from critism or credit when due
    My post looks much more aggy than it was meant to be. Worth it to see the underused term ‘easy tiger’, though 
  • Good call from the Referee...

Looks similar to the one we got given against Accrington
  • Clough was asked where he rated Taylor – who took his goal tally to 17 in all competitions – in terms of the strikers in League One.

“I don’t really concentrate on other forwards,” said the Brewers chief. “He’s probably better than our forwards, if that helps.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/nigel-clough-charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-has-got-lucky-against-us-twice-this-season/

• edited March 2019
    Croydon said:
    RedChaser said:
    Croydon said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Easy tiger, AFKA asked why some are critical of Purrington and if you read my initial post I have tried to explain why as I see it. He's been improvement on what we had which is stating the obvious a good loan signing yes but great??? And that doesn't make him immune from critism or credit when due
    My post looks much more aggy than it was meant to be. Worth it to see the underused term ‘easy tiger’, though 
    Mine too and I omitted to append a winky smiley, now edited  ;)
  • JamesSeed said:
    Great result!
    Didn’t get to see the match tonight, so catching up via this thread. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a split in opinions as there is over Parker. Sounded like he tried at least, which is the least you’d expect. Can’t be easy when you don’t get a run of games, which Sarr explained hampered his own progress. Perhaps it might be the same with Parker. 
    I thought Igor was pretty good in the second half on Saturday. 
    Big gap now. Automatics mathematically possible still. You never know what can happen in this league. 
    We need Bielik back pronto. And Williams too, to a lesser extent perhaps. 
    Parker comes across as a hardworking journeyman - more or less what I expected.

The sort of player we'll see more of next season.

• astonishing performance considering Charlton played with about 9.5 players for most of the match
    Reeves wheezed around small areas of the pitch at slow pace impacting virtually nothing, no challenges, no passes, no point, quite how he flopped into the path of Taylor's cross we'll never know.  He is either the among the most shamelessly callous pisstaking charlatans or he is no more than 25% fit enough.
    Fosu hit the bar of an unguarded goal from 6 yards and then sulked, shrugged and hid for the rest of his massively overlong appearance.  When a colleague or opponent gave him the ball he mooched about in determined search for the quickest way to get rid, to anybody else, regardless of team, on the few occasions he was moving forward toward open space he turned determinedly into an opponent to meekly surrender possession.
    Poor old Joe Aribo, looked knackered and was stuck on the edge of the diamond unable to get involved and influence the fame much.  Fortunately Cullen took on the work of 4 and pretty much defeated Burton's midfield on his own.  West Ham truly have a ready made replacement for Mark Noble.  Last night he was heroic and effective.  Everybody else did most things they could to effect the victory.  Couple of glimpses of the bad young Naby in the first few minutes but he shrugged them off and recent service was resumed.
    The ref and East Stand lino couldn't remember the offside rules in the first half but without ruining the game, that lino was an arrogant pr!ck tho, blatantly laughing off the helpful advice he was getting from the East Stand experts behind him, knob.
    Overall a forgettable game against moderate opponents on a freezing night on a boggy pitch in front of a meager crowd - dontcha just love 3rd division football?
  • The lino was correct on the offside call (i.e. the freekick being taken in our half. The free kick is taken from where the offside player makes contact with the ball. Taylor was offside and in their half when Phillips kicked the ball to him, but he had run forward into our half when he made contact with the ball.
  • On a cold night with no away support and  "sod the Champions League" I'm going to the valley to see Charlton confirm their Play off place. I did, it was colder than I thought and we should've had 4 first half goals. 
    They should've had 2 from Naby reminding us that there is a mistake in his locker in between the 45 yard passes and the great Interceptions.

The Portsmouth game felt like a top game in the Championship with passionate fans all around the ground. Where as the Burton match felt like welcome to League two 20/21. (a scary thought if RD still the owner)

The 2nd half was a non event but made you realize that "After the Lord Mayor's show" you always need a shovel.

a solid 3 points and our leggy players get a day off to rest their weary minds and bodies.

• Sponsored links:

• Lasplie’s bouncy hair annoys me . That’s it .
    His poor performance annoyed me. Failed almost everywhere he went. 
  • RedChaser said:

I’m one of his critics and I think @RedChaser has summed up my views nicely. My frustrations are probably not so much with Purrington personally - as others have said he is a make do and mend steady Eddie - but I just find his inability to do anything productive going forward a massive frustration given how much Page added to our play earlier in the season. A bit like beating your dog because it can’t play the piano I suppose. 
  • edited March 2019
    The lino was correct on the offside call (i.e. the freekick being taken in our half. The free kick is taken from where the offside player makes contact with the ball. Taylor was offside and in their half when Phillips kicked the ball to him, but he had run forward into our half when he made contact with the ball.
    That law was put into place at the beginning of last seaso and is not yet widely known or understood by the average fan.....or players and coaches I’d wager.
    I wonder if Taylor knows of it, from his animated protestations at the time, I’d say not.
    Just why things weren’t left as they were is baffling if you ask me. Another example of the offside laws becoming more and more unnecessarily confusing for all concerned.
  • edited March 2019
    RedChaser said:

I’m one of his critics and I think @RedChaser has summed up my views nicely. My frustrations are probably not so much with Purrington personally - as others have said he is a make do and mend steady Eddie - but I just find his inability to do anything productive going forward a massive frustration given how much Page added to our play earlier in the season. A bit like beating your dog because it can’t play the piano I suppose. 
    Lols Great turn of phrase :smiley:
  • edited March 2019
    The lino was correct on the offside call (i.e. the freekick being taken in our half. The free kick is taken from where the offside player makes contact with the ball. Taylor was offside and in their half when Phillips kicked the ball to him, but he had run forward into our half when he made contact with the ball.
    That law was put into place at the beginning of last seaso and is not yet widely known or understood by the average fan.....or players and coaches I’d wager.
    I wonder if Taylor knows of it, from his animated protestations at the time, I’d say not.
    Just why things weren’t left as they were is baffling if you ask me. Another example of the offside laws becoming more and more unnecessarily confusing for all concerned.
    Have to admit there were a few occasions when I thought Taylor was being a whiny lil bitch over the Offsides and was lucky not to get carded for dissent

Dont think there were many that the Lino got wrong against him - I thought the one where Lyle collected the ball in our half was tight, not to mention a late call
  • Always appreciate the post match threads more when I’ve not gone to the game, so thanks to all the summaries so far.

Reading these past 5 pages though, I’d have thought we lost if didn’t already know the score. Is it because peoples expectations are rising dramatically at this stage of season and they think 2-1 win against Burton is not good enough. 

Purrington and Phillips seem to take on the majority of the negative comments this season (well since they’ve been in the starting 11 anyway).

I know it’s been mentioned by others before, but it’s important to see performances in where they are, not where you want them to be. No point being frustrated with Phillips because he’s not the complete package with every ability, because if he had all of those, then no one here would be watching him this season. 

We've had so many good/great keepers over the years (going back to mid 90s when I started attending) who couldn’t kick straight or struggled to find a teammate from a goal kick. There’s a reason the price of a keeper has shot up in recent years and personally feel that Phillips is more than acceptable for a league one promotion chasing team. 
    On the first point, it's not about expectations or because I expected a better result (I didn't), it's because we didn't play well in the second half. Indeed twice we've been fortunate to beat Burton this season, and could easily have lost both matches. In other games we've played much better and lost/drawn, something you get what you deserve, sometimes you don't.

To me Dillon's kicking is the worst I've seen from any Charlton keeper since the backpass rule was changed, it's a major weakness in his game as he shanks his kicks even under no pressure. He HAS to improve this part of his game or else he'll never play higher than L1.
  • Three points, one moment of quality for second goal, but overall a poor performance. Parker did nothing, Aribo and Fosu disappeared. Does Phillips even practice kicking?
    His kicking was okay early on but got worse as the match went on.
    On that basis, he shouldn't practice.
  • edited March 2019
    RedChaser said:

That's not true.
    Purrington played the pass from the wing  for Taylor's miss after a few minutes, and has got forward on many occasions recently. His game is evolving of late.

No point comparing to Wiggins or Da Silva ( not you) were really wing backs and their weakness was defending. Da Silva was too small but could tackle but got done in the air and Wiggins when he didn't have a sicknote could get closed down and would panic if he couldn't go on a mazy run.

Any LB for Charlton deserves praise just for turning up fit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCOlly said:
    Parker offered far more than Igor. He held the ball up well at times, and won some clever free kicks. He tracked back and defended set pieces, too. He’s not going to offer what Grant had. Not sure what people are expecting from him in all honesty. Overly criticised IMHO. 

Also, Phillips is a solid goalkeeper but his kicking is awful. I don’t agree that it’s not important as suggested by some on here. It is a justified concern that needs to be addressed - so many times his kicks head straight into Row Z which leads to unnecessary self inflicted pressure. Very frustrating as with decent distribution he’d be a more than capable goalkeeper. 

All in all a solid result that we ground out. Fair play to the team and manager - well deserved 6 points from two good teams. 

COYR
    I thought Parker didn't hold the ball well but he did track back, did defend set pieces and did win at least one free kick (from their No. 10).  However, he's there as a striker and he failed in that role abysmally.
  • CAFCOlly said:
    Parker offered far more than Igor. He held the ball up well at times, and won some clever free kicks. He tracked back and defended set pieces, too. He’s not going to offer what Grant had. Not sure what people are expecting from him in all honesty. Overly criticised IMHO. 

Also, Phillips is a solid goalkeeper but his kicking is awful. I don’t agree that it’s not important as suggested by some on here. It is a justified concern that needs to be addressed - so many times his kicks head straight into Row Z which leads to unnecessary self inflicted pressure. Very frustrating as with decent distribution he’d be a more than capable goalkeeper. 

All in all a solid result that we ground out. Fair play to the team and manager - well deserved 6 points from two good teams. 

COYR
    I thought Parker didn't hold the ball well but he did track back, did defend set pieces and did win at least one free kick (from their No. 10).  However, he's there as a striker and he failed in that role abysmally.

Parker goes to ground too easily and won't always win a free-kick by doing so.

Igor did just as much tracking back and defending at corners on Saturday (loved his flying header clearing a corner). I understand the need for Parker last night, after Saturday but I hope Igor starts every time we only have one match per week.

•  
    Thought Burton looked a few good players away from being a very decent side. Just lacked any potency. 

Probably in the top 2 sides to visit The Valley this season.
    Burton tried to play football but had no attacking threat.
    There were more offside decisions in the first half than on the last six home games combined I reckon. Not what I pay to see to be fair. One or two of which in the first half were very dodgy. Burton pressed us but, as others have said, they have little or no threat up front. Cullen OUTSTANDING. Fosu has come in for some criticism today and on that performance quite easy to understand why. Excellent footballer with two quick feet but absolutely no physical strength. Gets knocked off the ball too easily. Also his decision making is poor and he gets caught in possession too many times for me. 

• Watching the highlights back on Sky our penalty award looks incredibly soft and the Burton marking for our second is almost non-existent. 

• Purrington's average mark from the Statbank for his 9 matches with us prior to last night is very steady Eadie ish at 6.43.
  • I like Purrington. Aside from the fact it means we don't have to play a RB or CB at left back, he's a solid player who shores up our left side. When you play a diamond you need to have full backs who won't regularly get caught out of position on transitions and he is rarely so far up the pitch we can be got at down our left. He's not the kind of LB to bomb forward but he does support attacks as required and provides an outlet for attackers to lay off the ball and receive it back. He's quite decent at beating his man from a standing start, which opens up options for crossing. He is however not brilliant at crossing. He's rubbish in the air however and if an opposition player gets even half a yard run-up on him they'll win the header. He's got a LB's brain. Dijksteel is learning but I do find he plays like an athletic midfielder filling in at full back. When the pressure ramped up against Pompey it was Dijksteel who started to sweat more than Purrington and I was more nervous of attacks coming that way than the other side. All in all, he's a League One level left back who had had a huge impact just by restoring balance to our line-up, for that alone we should be grateful. If we go up this season then I doubt we'll be looking to bring him in again, otherwise we could do a lot worse than have him permanently. Even if we don't get him again, given what's available in January on loan we've done well to end up with him. I get why his player marks are low as he's unspectacular, but if you took him out of the team now we'd feel it.
    He's fine defensively and he seems to get low marks because he's not an attacking player. Fans rave over attacking full backs even though a lot of them are s*** at defending.
  • Not surprised to hear that Lyle Taylor looked to the Assistant Referee after scoring the Penalty to make sure he hadn't been flagged for off side.
  • To be fair to Purrington the main factor that led me to mark him a "5" was the moment in the 2nd Half that I cant believe Burton wasted!!

Poor header from him was one thing but a through ball was then played right between him and another player which should easily have been snuffed out
  • RedChaser said:
    Purrington's average mark from the Statbank for his 9 matches with us prior to last night is very steady Eadie ish at 6.43.
    Still only 22. He can improve. I would like to see us sign him.